February 2016 Moms
Options

Introducing Sloane!

Now that we are home and my toddler is back at school, I finally can get my thoughts together to post my birth story.
I went to the hospital at 7am on the 11th for my scheduled induction. We were actually a little late because my husband had a man cold and was slow to get going in the morning. 
I was at 1.5 cm with the baby up high. We started with pitocin at 915 am after the on deck OB from the same practice scared me with how likely it is that I'll have another shoulder dystocia bc I had it with my first, I mentally prepared myself for another third degree tear with all that talk.

with the pitocin, I was having contractions about 7-8 mins apart, and they were getting hard to breathe through. I wanted to wait until I was at least 3cm dilated before epi just to make sure I was progressing. At 1pm the doctor checked me and I was 3cm so I went ahead with an epi which worked nicely. 
But then we were stuck at 3cm. By 345 pm, I was still at 3cm. So we decided to break my water to get things moving but only a small hole as to avoid a possible cord prolapse with a gush bc she was still a little high.  so water tickled out for a couple of hours after. 
By 725pm, I was 6cm. At this point, the dr decided to put me upside down on a slight decline on the bed. I thought bc of the slow progress, we will maybe have her late that night or the next morning. So I sent my husband out to pick up some dinner for himself. Less than 30 mins later, I started feeling an urge to push even with my epi. I tried to dismiss it thinking that there's no way I'm ready bc I was just checked and only at 6cm, but the feeling kept coming back. So I sheepishly called the nurse saying that I feel like I need to push but I know that I was 6cm a little while ago. She came to check and she tells me I'm at 10 and her head is right there and it's time! So I had to call my husband to hustle back, luckily while they prepped and called the doctor, he was able to make it back. 
I pushed for about 15 mins then the doctor said that Her head won't make it out without a tear and the only way to really control and avoid another big tear like last time would be a small episiotomy. So I agreed. He made a quick cut, her head came out with the next couple contractions and then her whole body came out without getting stuck with the next two pushes! No shoulder dystocia and only a 1.5 degree cut! This birthing experience was so much quicker and smoother than my first. I couldn't be happier. 

7lbs ( a lot smaller than anticipated based on measurements and my first' size) And 20.25 inches. And I'm in love. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
imageimage

Re: Introducing Sloane!