Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Breastfeeding Blues

Ladies.. I've been breastfeeding exclusively for three weeks since my daughter was born. My husband went back to work today and it's the first time I'm home with the bsby and my 5 year old son ( mid winter break). While my baby has been nursing well and gaining weight.. I'm over it. She nurses every hour and 30 minutes.. 20-30 minutes on each breast. My right breast produces more than my left. I try pumping between feelings and only get 2-3oz total ( if that). Any one else in this boat? How did you introduce formula in the mix? I feel like I'm neglecting my 5 year old... Ugh.... I feel guilty but I'm just tired :(

Re: Breastfeeding Blues

• I feel you. Breast feeding isint for me. I tried it, saw lactation consultants, didn't feel more human after almost a month. We're slowly transitioning to formula. Right now we just do 2 formula bottles a day - one early night and one morning bottle. We're gona up the amount each week. I'm planning on it taking a month to fully switch for me. It's so hard because I'm worried she won't take formula well so I figured if I go really slow maybe her body can get used to it. But I know from what I've read formula is trial and error until you find one that works for your LO.  The guilt society puts in those who chose not to BF is rough, but know whatever choice you make that enables you to be a better parent is a good voice. 
  • I'm sure you are tired. It's exhausting. It's up to you to decide if you want to keep going (which will be hard) or switch to formula. I'm all for doing what you need to do to stay sane. Your baby will be fine with whatever you decide to do.  

Both of my kids were formula fed so I'm not trying to push BF'ing on you but I think you are just going through the tough part of nursing which is the beginning and it will get better if you put the work into it.

Part of me wishes I would have stuck with it and kept trying but my boobs didn't work that well anyways so formula worked for us :)

• Loading the player...
  • Not sure why you are pumping in between nursing but I would start by cutting that out. Getting 2-3 oz pump between nursing a 3 week old is a lot, no supply issues. Try some baby wearing while you spend time with your 5 year old.  I put my LO in the baby ktan and he would sleep longer in there while I did housework. Will the baby take a paci?  Mine wouldn't take it from me until after I weaned him but it may help. Otherwise nursing is rough and I feel for you. My baby nursed every 90min for about 40-60 minutes and by 6 weeks I was formula supplementing. You can try giving a bottle in the afternoon when your energy is low. And just know that if you wean off entirely at 1 month the baby got all of the colostrum with the early and transitional milk.
  • I switched my LO to formula at about 3 weeks. We went cold turkey and just started her on Enfamil newborn since we had some samples at home, she has done great with it, (no gas, no spitting up, good amount of wet/soiled diapers) going on for about a week now. She still eats about every 2 to 3 hours. Maybe we just got lucky that she liked the first formula we tried? 
  • What did you do to stop milk supply? I'm Introducing similac advance ( used it in my son)... Seems to be going well! I still have breastmilk in my freezer so im transitioning. Biggest challenge.. Painful breasts :( 
  • gcolon7988gcolon7988 member
    edited February 2016
    I did ice packs and ibuprofen. Engorgement lasted about 2 days and it was painful but now at almost since I stopped BF I'm milk free. 

Edited because it cut off my post
  • I did the same thing. Constant BFing just wasn't working for me to the point where it was making me a bad mom (overly tired, getting mad at baby) I started with doing every other feeding with enfamil gentleease and she got used to it. I still pump twice a day but hope by my milk supply will decrease soon.
  • I decided to stop as of yesterday. While I felt really emotional about it, I know I made the right choice. I'm in some pain ( due to the engorgement), but I feel liberated in a sense. I'm all for breastfeeding but I need to do what's best for me and my family. I really appreciate all of the advice and kind words. It made it a bit easier! 
  • Good for you. Despite her excellent latch we discovered early on (week 1) I was not producing enough milk to meet DD's needs. We switched immediately to Similac Advance and haven't looked back. DD isn't a fussy baby and doesn't cry much but I could see an immediate difference once she was getting enough to eat. Our pedi suggested switching to generic formula to save money so we will eventually transition to the Sam's brand of Similac. It really helped me to read the website fearlessformulafeeder.com. Basically it extinguishes the guilt new Mommy's feel for not breast feeding. Good luck :)
  • We're all human and BFing little humans is hard. Animals have it easier mother cats and dogs just sprawl out while the litter walks over and feeds. Human babies are more work. I've said in other threads there is a reason why wealthy women throughout history used wet nurses!  I miss it sometimes but then I remember sleepless nights and pumping at work and I'm like yeah formula is made just for babies it's fine. I've yet to meet a mom who BF 1 kid and FF the other and said the BF baby turned out smarter and healthier than the FF baby. Good luck!
  • I understand it's really draining, especially once you have other kids to take care of. There is certainly nothing wrong with using formula. Just keep in mind, supplementing (especially this early) will have a big impact on your supply. Even if you pump, it's not the same as baby nursing. So that's something to keep in mind when making your decision. Personally, I would stick it out until your son goes back to school and see if it gets a bit easier then. Best of luck!

• I understand completely. DS is 6 weeks and I am struggling with whether to continue BF or not. We've been supplementing with formula, but my guy is a little cuddler and craves comfort nursing. Mid evening, he'll take 3-4 oz formula, after I let him nurse for 1hr but get hardly anything, then will be inconsolable until I let him latch for a few minutes before falling asleep. I'm afraid of weaning him of this, because I don't know how he'll do. He randomly takes a paci, usually only when he's not hungry or tired, just bored.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe