Toddlers: 24 Months+

4 year old is always pissed

BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
edited February 2016 in Toddlers: 24 Months+

I know it's the age, everyone has told me they went through it too, but it doesn't help me in my day to day with an almost 4 year old that freaks out and can't calm down.

My son will be 4 next month and he's always thrown normal tantrums, but I swear, in the last few months, he has been an entirely different child when he has a fit. He can't be reasoned with, punishments don't work, taking things away doesn't work, time out makes no difference. Something will set him off and he is out of control. Screaming, crying, yelling and will be this way for at least an hour. I've actually had to carry him (and my 16 month old) out of places because he's insane. I've never had to do that.

I feel terrible for him because I feel like maybe there's something else I should be trying that I am not thinking of. My husband is usually the one that "deals" with him when he's having these fits because he can be more stern than I can BUT I hate just how tough he is and how much he yells at DS. I don't always want to have to yell.

I'm just frustrated. And feel bad for my kid. I truly think this happens when he's super tired and I don't think he gets enough sleep at night but if he wants to lay awake on his bed from when I put him down at 8pm until like 10pm, there's not really anything I can do. Right?

Ugh. Any advice?

Re: 4 year old is always pissed

• Yikes! That sounds so stressful!   (Sorry, no advice for you, just wanted to offer some sympathy.) 
  • Hi. Lurker here.. I have an almost 5yo daughter and 3yo daughter  (and a almost 5mo son). My oldest and the baby are pretty similiar- pretty chill, happy, good kids. My 3yo.. Not. So. Much. We went through a stage where she was always so cranky, and whiny and SO TIRED constantly! I couldn't understand what was going on because she went to bed at 930-10 and woke up at 830-9 so she was getting enough sleep! One day she told me her neck was hurting her, like even turning her head hurt.  I actually took her to our family chiropractor and had her adjusted. Sounds crazy and I was so nervous but she did so amazing and felt so much better after as well. The chiro also mentioned that her pillow may be too high for her so we splurged and bought both our girls a super thin memory foam pillow off of amazon. They weren't cheap but no joke I feel like they've both been sleeping better since we got them (I can post the link if you want). So even tho she was getting 10+ hours of sleep, she wasn't getting a GOOD sleep. Another thing we do is Epsom salt baths. That calms them way down for the night and gets them so relaxed for bed. 

It could be a completely different situation for you, but is worth a try! If anything, at least the Epsom salt baths. Those help so much. We do it like once every week or two. Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • ItsmeR30 said:
    Hi. Lurker here.. I have an almost 5yo daughter and 3yo daughter  (and a almost 5mo son). My oldest and the baby are pretty similiar- pretty chill, happy, good kids. My 3yo.. Not. So. Much. We went through a stage where she was always so cranky, and whiny and SO TIRED constantly! I couldn't understand what was going on because she went to bed at 930-10 and woke up at 830-9 so she was getting enough sleep! One day she told me her neck was hurting her, like even turning her head hurt.  I actually took her to our family chiropractor and had her adjusted. Sounds crazy and I was so nervous but she did so amazing and felt so much better after as well. The chiro also mentioned that her pillow may be too high for her so we splurged and bought both our girls a super thin memory foam pillow off of amazon. They weren't cheap but no joke I feel like they've both been sleeping better since we got them (I can post the link if you want). So even tho she was getting 10+ hours of sleep, she wasn't getting a GOOD sleep. Another thing we do is Epsom salt baths. That calms them way down for the night and gets them so relaxed for bed. 

It could be a completely different situation for you, but is worth a try! If anything, at least the Epsom salt baths. Those help so much. We do it like once every week or two. Good luck! 

My son does stack 2 pillows up on his bed while sleeping and it looks terribly uncomfortable! Thanks for sharing. I'll try anything :)
  • Yea, np! Here's the link if you're interested. Yikes, two pillows!? lol. It may be an adjustment to go to a thinner pillow and it actually took my girls a week or so to get used to it. But it's been amazing 

Ultra Slim Sleeper Memory Foam Pillow: Extra Low Profile, Cotton Cover, Only 2.5 Inche... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012BADRZG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_sOrUwbTEG5EVD

• He might be hungry. Seriously, count his calorie intake and time of day he gets angry. Consider a snack to and from school. Keep a squeezee pouch or two on hand when you are out. Hope this helps.