LGBT Parenting

Weekly check in 2/15

edited February 2016 in LGBT Parenting
Let's get caught up and talk about the upcoming week! 

@twomommiestobe ;
@vnegron87 
@beanie1977
@blakelya
@clairelosc
@angelicac06
@fsbc
@vl2016
@twochickshavinachick
@retropetro

Anyone is free to join in and participate! If anyone you know might want to be active, feel free to tag them as well.

Copy and paste the following questions so we can get to know each other better! 

What is happening this week? 

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? 

Gtky: What is your favorite TV show currently on TV right now?  

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Weekly check in 2/15

Ttc- we are nearing the end of our first ivf cycle 

We will have our beta test 2/19! For some reason, I have gotten off of the optimistic train and just have this feeling it didn't work. Not sure why! 

For those of you who use (or used) sperms from a bank, how do you plan on explaining that to your younger kids? 

Walking Dead! It isn't my usual genre, but I am hooked lol

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Status: (ttc, waiting/benched, pregnant, parent)  V and I are currently TTC.

What is happening this week?  We expect V will ovulate this week, and we'll try our second IUI. 

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc?  @twomommiestobe We have a book called "What Makes A Family."  What we like about it is that it celebrates all kinds of families. We think the author does a nice job explaining the "ingredients" needed to create a baby but places more emphasis on the family waiting with love and anticipation for the young reader.  Anyone who reads it would be able to relate to it, and V and I think it will make a great conversation-starter about how we created our family.

Gtky: What is your favorite TV show currently on TV right now? Hmmm, this is a toughie, because I like TV a lot.  Some of the shows I like are embarrassing, so I'll go with one that isn't.  Law & Order: SVU is definitely a weekly favorite in our house!
  • Loading the player...
  • @VL2016 keep us updated! At least you know what to expect this time aroynd, so that should alleviate some of the stress :smile: 
    And I'm going to look for that book! 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Waiting on results from the PGS/PGD
    NOTHING and there is nothing worse than just waiting...
    @VL2016 - Would you mind telling me the author of the book? Sounds like something that really might be fun and useful!! 

Do you ever get scared of all the things you don't know yet but feel like you should? I never even thought of how we were going to explain a donor to smaller kids and that feels like an obvious one...

I'm bingeing on Lie to Me right now.  I keep trying to get into The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones but I just can't for some reason.  I'm a Sherlock/Doctor Who fan  :smile: 
    Ttc- just heading into stimulation/retrieval phase of IVF

We stopped in at the RE's office this morning to sign final consents and have a little medication tutorial with our IVF coordinator. Scan on Weds and as long as everything is in order, we'll be starting injections on Thursday!

@twomommiestobe I'm the open conversation former sex-ed teacher in our house, so I anticipate it will always just be a known thing. Our donor is anonymous, but we'll have what we know about him to share with them as they grow into that curious age.

Eeek, that one depends on the day. My work world is pretty intense sometimes, so I like to chill out with some garbage TV a lot. We finally started How to Get Away With Murder on Netflix last night, so I'm sure that'll be the one I'm raving about for a while.

• @retropetro take this time to relax and spends time together.  It will go by so fast!! 

@Blakelya  Were you doing a fresh transfer or also doing testing. I forgot :smile: 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BlakelyaBlakelya member
    edited February 2016

@Blakelya  Were you doing a fresh transfer or also doing testing. I forgot :smile: 
    Neither actually. :) Our doc is recommending frozen transfer, so we're retrieving and then freezing with a tentative thaw/transfer date set at the end of March. I really wanted to do the testing, but it just wasn't financially feasible and we don't fall into any of the categories where it's strongly recommended so we're winging it! Hurry up, wait, hurry up, wait, repeat x infinity...
  • @Blakelya ahhh! The waiting is intense. Our DR wanted to do frozen, but since my cycle synced up perfectly, we went ahead with the fresh. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Blakelya ahhh! The waiting is intense. Our DR wanted to do frozen, but since my cycle synced up perfectly, we went ahead with the fresh. 
    Yeah, sounds like there's some promising research for freezing, but if it times out just right, why wait?? ;) I'm so hyper-focused on just getting some eggs and promising embryos here; I haven't even considered how unbearably long that month is going to feel!
  • @twomommiestobe @retropetro Here is a link to the above-mentioned book on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1609804856/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1455577999&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=cory+silverberg

My apologies, it is actually called "What Makes A Baby."

What's happening this week? Another week, another pound down. All that's left on the ttc front is getting myself down to a good starting weight. Little S is  doing well, weight wise too. She's been hovering just over the 9th since birth and we've been pulled up on it a couple times. I've told them it's a family pattern - my sister and I were both slow to put on weight and she is very active (she doesn't really crawl at all anymore and likes to live life in the fast lane) But even though I know she's eating well (three meals plus snacks a day and b-fing 3 times a day too!) and she has consistent weight gain, I still feel awful when they make a point of where she is on the "healthy weight" scale. Now she is officially 'almost average' weight :)

GTKY: Elementary. As a Brit, I feel like I'm letting the team down but I have to admit that the American Sherlock is better.

Hope all is well and everyone having a good week.

• @Twochickshavinachick after you get to your goal weight, hoe will yall try? 

Thanks! @VL2016

@Blakelyathe results are usually a little higher for a frozen bc the body has had time to rest from the stims/retrieval. For me, my body was rested and ready! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited February 2016
    @Twochickshavinachick after you get to your goal weight, hoe will yall try? 
    Not so much a goal weight as getting weight down during wait for 1st attempt in April. My current BMI is not entirely unreasonable - I'd just prefer it lower bc I already have diabetes risk factors w/out weight adding to it.
     We're going the same route as with S (with the same donor so they will be full siblings)
    Because I'm still young (31 in April) and in great health, we're starting out nice and relaxed with at home AI.
  • @VL2016 Thanks for posting the link!
    @Twochickshavinachick oooh I loved Elementary!
    @twomommiestobe If this round isn't successful, will you wait out a cycle or jump into the next immediately?

So I have a question for everyone, who all are using anonymous donors and who all are using ID disclosure donors?  Why did you decide to go this route?

• @VL2016 Thanks for posting the link!
    @Twochickshavinachick oooh I loved Elementary!
    @twomommiestobe If this round isn't successful, will you wait out a cycle or jump into the next immediately?

So I have a question for everyone, who all are using anonymous donors and who all are using ID disclosure donors?  Why did you decide to go this route?

It really just depends on finances for us. If we can cone up with the money in time, we will try immediately.

We went with anonymous. We are treating this solely as a matter of science, not personal. He is not the father or dad and we will never refer to it as that. He will not be in their life day to day. There is no need for a "relationship" later. We have all of the medical info, so no need to contact. Since we plan on adopting later as well, we will have the family motto of we are family, no matter how we got here. The adopted children will be the exact same to us, because genetics don't matter in our family. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @twomommiestobe We chose to go with an Open ID but to approach the situation in a very similar way.  I don't ever want to imply to the kid that they might be missing something in their family.  But because I have no idea how they will view the situation in 18-20 years time, it just eliminated the worry for me that they will feel unable to pursue information on their own.  :smile: 
  • @retropetro it was even easier for us because when we found the perfect donor for us, it was anonymous only anyways. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @twomommiestobe when you find the perfect one, the rest just falls into place! :smile: (In case no one has noticed, I'm really into these little emoji options :wink: !)
  • @retropetro it was even easier for us because when we found the perfect donor for us, it was anonymous only anyways. 
    That was the case for us as well. I think it's natural for them to be curious about that half of their genes, so we'll leave them open to the information we have, but I anticipate in our house it will always be known in that "science" way. We entertained the idea, but were never sincerely interested in a known donor option. We're the parents, why do we need an extra dude in the mix?
  • I never met my biological "father". He was never my dad, the man who married my mom when I was 5 and raised me was my only dad. So I guess, I sort of understand looking at it in the "science" sense bc I was raised by a stepdad. :smiley: 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @twomommiestobe We chose to go with an Open ID but to approach the situation in a very similar way.  I don't ever want to imply to the kid that they might be missing something in their family.  But because I have no idea how they will view the situation in 18-20 years time, it just eliminated the worry for me that they will feel unable to pursue information on their own.  :smile: 
    That's exactly what V and I decided.
  • We just got our last report from the embryologist :smile: 13 excellent/good embryos!!
  • That's great news, @retropetro !
  • claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited February 2016
    Parent

My baby girl is a week old today! Adjusting back home has been hard as I had a very difficult delivery and I'm going to be recovering for a while. My stitches burst so it's all very painful and my mobility has been limited.

We conceived with an open donor (she can meet him when she's 18) using IUI. PM me if you need advice on it! It took us a year to conceive. Also the J16 moms had a same-sex moms thread - there's some other lgbt moms there too. :) https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12575317/any-other-same-sex-moms-on-here

The Magicians on SyFy based on the Lev Grossman novels

ETA @retropetro We wanted her to be able to choose to get the information. We're both pretty curious and figured we would want the information.  This way she has options and we support whichever choice she would make. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • @claireloSC Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!! Thanks for the link to the other discussions :smile: 
  • Thank you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • We got our bfp today!!! Our ivf was a success :smiley: 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Awesome! Best wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy :)
  • Congratulations, @twomommiestobe that is fantastic news!
  • Congratulations @twomommiestobe !!!! That's awesome :smiley: 

What is happening this week? Today our sweet boy turns 7 months. 

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? Wish we had more LGBT friends

Gtky: What is your favorite TV show currently on TV right now?  big bang and the people vs OJ... we dont really watch tv much so we record OJ and watch pieces when we can.
    Me~35 Wife~32
    Together 6 years
    Married 2014
    TTC~ Reciprocal IVF
    11/5-ER
    11/10-ET (1 blast) = BFP
    Beta @ 8dp= 185, Beta @ 10dp=752, Beta @ 16dp= 8,127
    7/22/15 - It's a boy! 

• @FSBC we don't really have ANY lgbt friends Lol 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Most of our friends are straight, too!  Too bad everyone in this group doesn't all live in one area. :smile: 
  • Us three, 99% of our friends are straight (and having tons of super easy to conceive kids!)
  • Yep, here too, straight straight straight all around. My BFF is bi...but not exactly practicing both sides of the fence. Haha
  • Too funny--similarly, our friends are about half straight and half gay male, but we have no lesbian friends! My best friend is ttc with her husband at the same time (like, we ovulate on the same day--crazy!), so I end up relating to/mutually supporting her rather than our lgbt friends anyway. 

Has anyone had any success finding local lgbt parenting groups? I'd love to start join one or start one, but not sure how to go about it (i'm in LA). 
  • FirePoppy said:

Has anyone had any success finding local lgbt parenting groups? I'd love to start join one or start one, but not sure how to go about it (i'm in LA). 
    I haven't actually looked for any local LGBT parenting groups, but I don't think I would have any trouble finding something like that.  I think there are a lot of these types of groups on FB, but I would hesitate to join/"like" anything like that at this point in time because my wife and I aren't really advertising that we're TTC.
  • I've tried to find a group, but haven't found one. :disappointed: 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • FirePoppy said:

I haven't actually looked for any local LGBT parenting groups, but I don't think I would have any trouble finding something like that.  I think there are a lot of these types of groups on FB, but I would hesitate to join/"like" anything like that at this point in time because my wife and I aren't really advertising that we're TTC.
    That's where we are as well. I'd rather not open us up for questions from our extended group until we are past the questionable stage.
  • FSBCFSBC member
    edited February 2016
    @Blakelya - you made me LOL

Me~35 Wife~32
    Together 6 years
    Married 2014
    TTC~ Reciprocal IVF
    11/5-ER
    11/10-ET (1 blast) = BFP
    Beta @ 8dp= 185, Beta @ 10dp=752, Beta @ 16dp= 8,127
    7/22/15 - It's a boy!