January 2016 Moms
Options

Breast milk land lactic acid

I've just been cleared to work out but wondering about the lactic acid in breast milk. I've read that it can change the taste of your milk and baby might not like it.  Should I pump and dump or time it a certain way? Right now I'm just doing light stuff here and there when I get a minute but I would like to do more heavy cardio. 

Re: Breast milk land lactic acid

• Options
    I've never heard of this, but i went to Zumba and nursed as soon as i got home without any issues
  • Options
    I was under the impression that lactic acid would only really affect the taste of breast milk if the workout session was very intensive but I'm sure others here are more knowledgeable on the subject. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Find out first if your LO is bothered before you dump! But I've read it's got to be a pretty intense workout.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    Myth!
    https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/mom-exercise/
    The "flavor" of your milk is in constant flux.
  • Options
    mg137mg137 member
    edited February 2016
    I ran, biked, skied, hiked, rock climbed, ski toured, lifted weights, and did bar method while nursing my twins. They never were bothered by the taste of my milk. Foods you eat affect the taste too but I've never had an issue or heard of anyone else having an issue. The only flavor related issue I've heard of is when mom gets pregnant again. Even that didn't phase my girls, though they also didn't protest when I weaned them 3 months into the pregnancy. Kelly mom is amazing. That's always my first stop for breastfeeding questions.
  • Options
    I practice barre3 so it's a burner but I'm not super out of breath or exhausted. I should be fine. Thank you for the replies ladies!