May 2016 Moms
Options

What are you giving up for Lent?

dshannahdshannah member
edited February 2016 in May 2016 Moms
I was thinking social media, but I'm not sure I can hack that for 40 days. 

But there's nothing I'm more addicted to, so that might have to be it.  Maybe swearing.  That's another good option, and one I'll be happy to have in my back pocket once baby comes...

What are you ladies giving up?

Re: What are you giving up for Lent?

• Options
    I'm giving up FB. I was going to give up my already limited one cup of coffee a day as well but I've realized that if I don't get my cup in, I have migraines the rest of the day. So for now, just Facebook, which is huge bcuz I'm always on it especially when I'm bored at work.
  • Options
    I'm not religious anymore but I grew up with an extremely, over the top, religious family. I still tend to do lent and I'm not sure why. Habit? Tradition? Who knows . . .

I'm considering sugar. It has become a bit of an issue recently. I'm not normally a sugar fiend but this baby has turned on my sweet tooth big time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    dshannah said:
    I was thinking social media, but I'm not sure I can hack that for 40 days. 

But there's nothing I'm more addicted to, so that might have to be it.  Maybe swearing.  That's another good option, and one I'll be happy to have in my back pocket once baby comes...

What are you ladies giving up?
    I thought you were Jewish? 

I'm Catholic but have decided to not give anything up for Lent this year since I've already given up a lot being pregnant.
  • Options
    @TXmamatobe I agree with this as well.  I'm a Lutheran, so we've never been big on giving anything up for Lent at any of my churches.  I love the idea of adding volunteering though.  In previous years I've focused more on gratitude during lent and wrote three things I was grateful for each day during lent.

Side note:  I didn't realize Ash Wednesday was tomorrow!  I go to church nearly every Sunday and we've switched to a more modern church and they didn't even mention it.  Strange..
  • Options
    I'm Christian but not Catholic so our family doesn't participate in Lent. I've heard of people committing to do something good for the length of Lent rather than giving something up. Like...volunteering once per week for the time period or donating to a food bank a set number of times, etc. I'm not sure how accepted that it by true Catholics but from the outside looking in, I like that idea better. I feel like more true good comes from action rather than abstinence on a personal level. 
    I'm not sure how Catholics as a whole feel about this, but this has been strongly encouraged in the communities I've been a part of. 
  • Options
    I was always taught to pick up a good habit/act and purge an indulgence/bad habit for Lent as a Catholic.
  • Options
    I am Catholic but haven't given up anything the last few years. Probably won't this year either. :/
  • Options
    Women who are pregnant generally do not give up anything or follow the fasting restrictions in my church as they do not want you to give up or fast from anything that the baby needs. Anything social may be an option but I'm not participating in the Lenten season this year. 
  • Options
    dshannah said:
    Well, DH says swearing.  Apparently he is also skeptical about my ability to give up social media (in any form).  

Swearing will be pretty hard, though.

And yes, I am Jewish, but DH and I are doing everything together.  We've been going to synagogue (or lighting the candles at home) on Fridays/Saturdays and Mass on Sundays since learning we were expecting, and we do Hanukkah and Christmas, and baby's getting a bris and a baptism. We're both doing ALL THE THINGS so that when we make Baby do all the things he won't be going it alone. We'll leave it up to Baby as to whether he wants to be confirmed or Bar Mitzvahed or both when the time comes, but for right now we are pursuing the ALL THE THINGS (tm) method of religion:)  

Apparently there are congregations around the country that are totally composed of Catholic/Jewish families (Cashews!) but none of those are anywhere near us, unfortunately.

Love this, especially the part about blended Cashew congregations. My husband and I were both raised Catholic ( he in Latin America) but now he is Mr Rational Scientist and generally eschews any religious gathering. I love the idea of a multi-faith upbringing though... maybe I can convince Dh to consider something like this....
  • Options
    At the Shrove Tuesday pancake supper last night, I helped our youth pastor make up cards with this prayer on them:

From The Whole People of God curriculum, Logos Press. 

Fast from pessimism; feast on optimism. 
    Fast from criticism; feast on praise. 
    Fast from self-pity; feast on joy. 
    Fast from bitterness; feast on forgiveness. 
    Fast from idle gossip; feast on purposeful silence. 
    Fast from jealousy; feast on love. 
    Fast from discouragement; feast on hope. 
    Fast from complaining; feast on appreciation. 
    Fast from selfishness; feast on service. 
    Fast from fear; feast on faith. 
    Fast from anger; feast on patience. 
    Fast from self-concern; feast on compassion for others. 
    Fast from discontent; feast on gratitude. 

I love this! I am definitely fasting from bitterness, self-pity, complaining, fear, and anger.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    edited February 2016
    dshannah said:
    Well, DH says swearing.  Apparently he is also skeptical about my ability to give up social media (in any form).  

Swearing will be pretty hard, though.

And yes, I am Jewish, but DH and I are doing everything together.  We've been going to synagogue (or lighting the candles at home) on Fridays/Saturdays and Mass on Sundays since learning we were expecting, and we do Hanukkah and Christmas, and baby's getting a bris and a baptism. We're both doing ALL THE THINGS so that when we make Baby do all the things he won't be going it alone. We'll leave it up to Baby as to whether he wants to be confirmed or Bar Mitzvahed or both when the time comes, but for right now we are pursuing the ALL THE THINGS (tm) method of religion:)  

Apparently there are congregations around the country that are totally composed of Catholic/Jewish families (Cashews!) but none of those are anywhere near us, unfortunately.

Wait, so is your husband Catholic then? This is weird to me. I have never heard of anyone doing this. I just looked up the term cashew and it appears that it can be taken as offensive to members of both religions.

ETA According to this website (The Racial Slur Database) that pops up when I Google the term "Cashew" it is actually considered a racial slur against Jewish people and originated in a comedy act in the 60s. https://www.rsdb.org/race/jews

• Options
    I'm Christian but not Catholic so our family doesn't participate in Lent. I've heard of people committing to do something good for the length of Lent rather than giving something up. Like...volunteering once per week for the time period or donating to a food bank a set number of times, etc. I'm not sure how accepted that it by true Catholics but from the outside looking in, I like that idea better. I feel like more true good comes from action rather than abstinence on a personal level. 

I'm Presbyterian, not Catholic, but from my understanding Lent is about sacrifice. To me, volunteering definitely fits because you are sacrificing time and energy, and donating is sacrificing your hard earned money, etc.

I still haven't decided what I am going to give up. DH and I have done fast food several years and it was great both for our waistline and our wallet. So that's a thought. I really need to stop cussing and using the Lord's name in vein, especially with a 20 month old parrot for a toddler. And I want to give up social media or my phone in general when I'm with her (evenings and weekends, so still FB at work maybe?) ... I'll talk to DH and see what his thoughts are, we usually do something together both for moral support and so we can call eachother out.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Options
    KaKip said:
    dshannah said:

Love this, especially the part about blended Cashew congregations. My husband and I were both raised Catholic ( he in Latin America) but now he is Mr Rational Scientist and generally eschews any religious gathering. I love the idea of a multi-faith upbringing though... maybe I can convince Dh to consider something like this....
    You can! Sort of, I guess, depending on where you live: there are Secular Humanist or Atheist "Churches" (all the community togetherness, music, education, and inspiration without the divinity) in LA and Brooklyn and now I think there's also one in Chicago.  So you could do a Secular Humanist/Catholic combo:)

Wait, so is your husband Catholic then? This is weird to me. I have never heard of anyone doing this. I just looked up the term cashew and it appears that it can be taken as offensive to members of both religions.

ETA According to this website (The Racial Slur Database) that pops up when I Google the term "Cashew" it is actually considered a racial slur against Jewish people and originated in a comedy act in the 60s. https://www.rsdb.org/race/jews

Yes, DH is Catholic. And where we live there aren't many people who do what we are doing. Well, any (that we've found). But the people from Chicago and New York who I have met who are doing exactly what we are doing call themselves Cashews.

Maybe it's one of those things that's not offensive if used as a self-identifier but is offensive if used by someone else?

FWIW there are people in the Jewish community and the Catholic community who think that what we are doing is an abomination, blasphemous, dangerous, and disrespectful to both faiths (as is marrying outside the faith in the first place). But DH and I are being true to ourselves and each other, following our shared spiritual sensibilities and our love of our own traditions, and most of the people who matter (my family, his family, and our congregations) are fine with it.
  • Options
    I think it is really cool to celebrate both faiths like that.

But I'm from a super liberal Catholic parish (and proud of it) and I wasn't confirmed in objection to the fact that women could not become priests so I'm probably not a "real" Catholic in lots of folks' eyes.  :)

• Options
    dshannahdshannah member
    edited February 2016
    Also, @sarawifenow I had no idea there was a racial slur database! Very handy!

Jack Carter (the comedian who came up with the term according to the database) was a "Borscht-Belt" comedian: one of the Jewish/Yiddish stand-up acts that played the Catskills in the mid-20th century before becoming popular in Hollywood with all the Yiddish taken out ("I just flew in from LA, and boy are my arms tired!"; "Take my wife, please!"). So my guess is that even originally the term wasn't meant as an offensive one. We Jews do like to laugh at ourselves:)

But anything can be made offensive when said by the right people.
  • Options
    dshannah said:
    Also, @sarawifenow I had no idea there was a racial slur database! Very handy!

Jack Carter (the comedian who came up with the term according to the database) was a "Borscht-Belt" comedian: one of the Jewish/Yiddish stand-up acts that played the Catskills in the mid-20th century before becoming popular in Hollywood with all the Yiddish taken out ("I just flew in from LA, and boy are my arms tired!"; "Take my wife, please!"). So my guess is that even originally the term wasn't meant as an offensive one. We Jews do like to laugh at ourselves:)

But anything can be made offensive when said by the right people.
    Yeah I had no idea it existed until I Googled that term.
  • Options
    So for those giving up social media, how do you propose to use the Bump?  Doesn't the bump count as a form of social media?

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    So for those giving up social media, how do you propose to use the Bump?  Doesn't the bump count as a form of social media
    You might not get any answers:) when I was considering giving up social media, that included the Bump!

Thankfully I'm giving up swearing instead. Though I have already failed: there were some terrible drivers out there today who merited my colorful verbal wrath, and then later DH and I were late to meet his parents and I swore automatically when I realized the time, at which point my husband reminded me about the cursing. My response (before I could stop myself) was to swear.

This is going to be a difficult (and illuminating) 40 days...              
  • Options
    I've been trying to cut back my cursing. I don't curse around kids ever . . . somehow my brain just turns its off but I keep thinking that maybe in the comfort of my own home with a baby who doesn't understand me I might slip.  DH is a big curser as well and the cutting back has actually caused some fights.  I swear and instantly replace it.  DH will get annoyed with something and curse up a storm . . . when I say " don't curse" he gets more annoyed and says loudly " Well I'm very annoyed right now!" as if its a pass to swear.  *eye roll*
  • Options
    I don't think I'm giving anything up this year, but our family goal is to work on our prayer life this season.  My 5 year old decided he is going to read a bible story every day, which I thought was really cute too.
    Pg#1- Benjamin born 2/22/10
    Pg#2 BFP 11/2010... chemical pregnancy late 11/2010
    Pg#3 BFP 02/2011...missed m/c 3/2011
    Pg#4 Adalynne born 5/12/12
    Pg#5 BFP 12/2012....chemical pregnancy 1/2012
    Pg#6 BFP 11/14/12....chemical pregnancy 11/2012
    Pg#7 BFP 2/3/14... loss after a heartbeat and D&C 3/2014
    Pg#8 BFP 9/1/15...waiting to see!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    My toddler has given up naps. That was one thing I wasn't prepared to give up. 
    I even let the toddler know I would pay $20.00 for a nap of any length today plus kinetic magic sand and any food item that was wanted.
    The offer was immediately rejected by my anti-nap toddler. 
  • Options
    Rather than give something up I'm going to re-commit to exercise. I haven't been as good about it as I'd like.  ;)
  • Options
    I was thinking about giving up buying clothes - newborn, toddler, and maternity.  Anybody with me?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    JennyS86 said:
    I was thinking about giving up buying clothes - newborn, toddler, and maternity.  Anybody with me?
    Yes,  I'm definitely going to try a spending freeze-- or, at least a freeze on extras. At this point, I think I have all of the necessities and then some, so I'm going to stop browing for more.
  • Options
    Our priest gave a wonderful sermon on Ash Wednesday about sinning by not doing things rather than sinning by things we do and say. In addition giving up meat on Fridays, I will be making an effort to do more volunteering.
  • Options
    I'm trying to give up stress by doing at least 15 minutes of meditation/prayer a day. Hopefully I can form a healthy habit that will be a positive for the whole family.
  • Options
    I gave up Facebook. My birth instructor said we should only be taking in positive things that make us feel good in the last months of pregnancy and I realized Facebook was making me so mad. Literally stayed mad at a girl all day because of some shit she posted on FB. Warning to others- Facebook will trick you! It emailed me saying I had five messages, so I thought maybe someone was trying to contact me and I checked it for a split second today. Not five messages, five USELESS notifications! I logged off once I saw that!