July 2015 Moms
Options

Frozen milk

I'm a SAHM mom. I had been pumping milk to freeze. Now it is 6 months later and I need to toss some out because they were pumped too long ago. Anyone else in this situation? I never leave her so the frozen isn't really needed.

Re: Frozen milk

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I haven't quite reached there yet but I have been thinking about that. I don't even have a big stash but I'm a SAHM too so I rarely need to dip into it. I'm thinking to plan a date night or two with hubby and leave baby with my MIL to have an excuse to use the milk before it expires. Or maybe I'll treat myself to a massage and hubby can use some while I'm gone 
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    How long is it good in the regular freezer? I have some but probably can't use it. LO has reflux and despite cutting dairy/soy out she couldn't tolerate breastmilk. Dr said to save what I had and try down the road but now she had to increase her Zantac dose and I'm afraid to even try the breastmilk.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's an awesome problem to have! I breastfed for 6 months. Once I went back to work at 4 months my supply tanked. Then I had to travel for work at 5 months and it reaaaaaally tanked. I gave it up bc I was producing nothing at all anymore, when I would pump I would get maybe 2 oz each breast. Pretty jealous of you  :)
  • Options
    I usually can only pump in the morning. My baby is pretty needy any other time. She still wakes up through the night, plus I'm really bad at drinking through the night so by morning I can only get 1 1/2 Oz for her cereal (sometimes more).

I've been told  milk in the freezer lasts 6-12 months in the freezer. However I am using a deep freezer and is still only doing 6 months. 
  • Options
    Instead of dumping it, donate it. Look into Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human Babies in your area. So many parents out there are in need of donor milk! Initially I had an oversupply so I donated over 100oz to babies in need. My supply regulated so that I can no longer donate, but I wish I still could!

There may be moms who are willing to use it even though you think it's too old.
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• Options
    Though a lot more time consuming, I think I will pull out freezer bags and use it for the cereal and a bottle if any extra milk is left. The bags that I have are very random in size. So whatever I pump in the morning I'll freeze. 

I love the idea of donating it, but I live in such a small town and I'd have to ship the milk further than I feel comfortable. I really don't want it to go bad before, even with packing. 
  • Options
    AKOL0 said:
    Though a lot more time consuming, I think I will pull out freezer bags and use it for the cereal and a bottle if any extra milk is left. The bags that I have are very random in size. So whatever I pump in the morning I'll freeze. 

I love the idea of donating it, but I live in such a small town and I'd have to ship the milk further than I feel comfortable. I really don't want it to go bad before, even with packing. 
    Check if it's still good, I was told in the freezer only up to 6 months. But someone told me you can do jewelry out of breastmilk!! I think it's an amazing idea, you can also donated, or if it's no longer good for your baby to drink, use it as face, hands moisturizer! Look up and you'll be surprise how much you can do with breastmilk! 
  • Options
    I'm jealous. My supply is incredibly low. I don't even get 1/2oz per side when I pump :(
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • Options
    Eats on feets for donating is amazing!!! !! I breast fed exclusively for 2 months until we both got thrush and and had to switch to exclusively pumping and tried everything to keep my supply up but I couldnt get let downs during pumping sessions, we finally had to stop at 4 months but I had a few wonderful mothers able to donate to us along the way so that I didn't have to supplement with formula as we went. She is 7 months now and completely weaned from human milk, I truly wish we could have gone longer but our area their arnt many donating moms! So good to get the word out there to donate your stach if your not in need of it anymore! Even if it's going to go bad within a few weeks a lot of moms can use it within that time limit!! Oh and by the way breast milk stays better by almost 3 months longer in a deep freezer then a regular freezer!! And dry ice works wonders if shipping far distances.