March 2016 Moms

two-vessel cord?

My OB told me I had a 2-vessel cord today.  He didn't explain it or anything, so I thought it was normal.  But I just looked it up and the umbilical cord is supposed to have 3 vessels.  I read that a 2-vessel cord could indicate heart or kidney problems and that they are monitored more closely.  But like I said, the doctor didn't mention any of this to me!  He just brushed over it as he was going over the results of the ultrasound- baby is in the 78th percentile.  Has anyone had experience with a 2-vessel cord?  I feel so upset right now that he didn't tell me anything about it :(  And of course it's Friday night.... I'm definitely calling them on Monday.

Re: two-vessel cord?

• I'm sorry, but DH is out of town and I'm so worried I have tears in my eyes!  Would the doctor have noticed the heart or kidney abnormalities on the ultrasound today?  He said everything from the U/S looked good...
  • One of my twins has a two vessel cord. Honestly the biggest thing to watch for is how the baby is growing. I'd request a growth scan if you haven't already had one recently so they can check that the kidneys have developed properly and maybe an NST also. I was really freaked out after I found out at 18 weeks but after researching everything I learned its not the worst thing in world. If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks!  I've calmed down a bit after reading that most two vessel cord babies are born normal.  They did a NST last week and today was the growth ultrasound and he measured in the 78th percentile.  I'm thinking the doctor knew about it before since I've had a NST and growth scan and they just forgot to tell me at my 20 week anatomy scan?  Like I said, he just mentioned it in passing today when they were going over everything and it was on my take home sheet with my ultrasound pictures.  It still makes me upset that I was never told about this until today and then only in passing.  I am considered high risk because I have epilepsy (seizure free for 2 years though) and so I thought that's why they did the NST.  I also "technically" have gestational diabetes.  I say "technically" because I monitor my sugar after every meal and it's never been close to high.  They said I would have an NST or ultrasound every week until the baby is born.
  • We found out at my anatomy scan since they check the cord then. Unfortunately they sent a genetic counselor in to speak with us immediately after and she just freaked us out talking about selective reduction right off the bat. Because of this I almost wish they never told us because all it did was freak me out and cause unnecessary stress.

As long as the growth scan and NST are good I wouldn't worry. I have diet controlled GD as well but I don't think the two are related. But I would ask your doctor why you weren't informed about the SUA earlier as they usually recommend a fetal echocardiogram for SUA babies.
  • My coworker's baby had this and was fine. She had to be very closely monitored during the pregnancy, but maybe there was more to hers than I knew of.

Anniversary