Cloth Diapering
Options

Anyone CDing also using CSP (cloth sanitary products) for themselves.

While getting into the world of CD for my LO due next month, I started thinking ''Why am I still using disposable pads?''.  I have now discovered CSP and so far have a stash of about 28 post-partum and heavies waiting to be used. I am as addicted to them as I got to pretty cloth nappies. Anyone else? 

Re: Anyone CDing also using CSP (cloth sanitary products) for themselves.

• Options
    I was thinking about it, but when I mentioned it at my midwife appointment she said that the last thing I'll want is more work to do. I don't have laundry on site where we live and the laundromat is a couple blocks away and usually has not so desirable people loitering in the area so I'm going to go with her suggestion of getting about 10 depends and using heavy duty pads inside (kinda like a prefold and cover option where you can use the cover throughout the day). After the postpartum period I'm going to try out a diva cup for future cycles.
  • Options
    I got into cloth pads after my period returned with DD1 (using them as back up for a lunette). This baby I used disposable pads for the first week, then switched to my cloth pads. It was heavenly to have soft minky while I was so sore!! I wished I'd switched sooner! I did cloth diapers from birth, and didn't find it to be extra work-diapers and pads are easy laundry-no folding! My laundry room is with our bedrooms though-I can't imagine travelling to a laundromat in those early days!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Momona1Momona1 member
    edited December 2015
    I figure as long as I am washing cloth nappies every 2-3 days, it won't be any extra work to throw a few pads in the wash, too. I am seriously getting addicted, though. I ordered 8 more today and yesterday. 

• Options
    I love the Diva Cup for regular monthly cycles, but for postpartum I wore Depends both in the hospital and when I got home. They were so comfy and I didn't have to worry about them shifting and leaking blood everywhere like the elevator out of The Shining. I would be on board with cloth pads except I find them too bulky and shifty, even the liners. The new absorbent undies have me interested again though. 
    April 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Romantic Pic
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have Thinx and I love them. Only got to use them for one cycle before I got pregnant again, but I totally recommend. I do find they run a little small, so maybe order up a size.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a small stash of 9 pads, then I switched to a cup. I will buy or make more for postpartum.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    This sounds like such an amazing idea! I switched to pads about a year ago and stopped getting infections all together within that time. A cloth pad sounds like the next logical step... Cheaper overall as well I'd imagine.

Any recommended brands?
  • Options
    This sounds like such an amazing idea! I switched to pads about a year ago and stopped getting infections all together within that time. A cloth pad sounds like the next logical step... Cheaper overall as well I'd imagine. Any recommended brands?
    I get mine mostly from WAHMs who have Facebook groups, but I'm in the UK. If you're US, search CSP on Facebook, also look on Etsy. If you're not squeamish about it, you can get washed pre-worn ones from buy/sell/trade groups (also FB). Also try the major cloth diaper retailers, as they usually also sell cloth pads. I think Green Mountain Diaper in the US sells them.

• Options
    Momona1 said:

This sounds like such an amazing idea! I switched to pads about a year ago and stopped getting infections all together within that time. A cloth pad sounds like the next logical step... Cheaper overall as well I'd imagine.

Any recommended brands?

I get mine mostly from WAHMs who have Facebook groups, but I'm in the UK. If you're US, search CSP on Facebook, also look on Etsy. If you're not squeamish about it, you can get washed pre-worn ones from buy/sell/trade groups (also FB). Also try the major cloth diaper retailers, as they usually also sell cloth pads. I think Green Mountain Diaper in the US sells them.

I know it's weird because I'm cool with used diapers, but when it comes to blood I think I'll pass on the used ones! Thank you for the tips, I'm going to check them out now.
  • Options
    @knottie9983816 the Fluff Love cloth diaper group on FB discuss & post resources for cloth pads often, they are also a great resource. Not to mention, their Fluff Love University website is amazing for CD info. They've reviewed nearly every washing machine & detergent!
  • Options
    emgee27 said:

@knottie9983816 the Fluff Love cloth diaper group on FB discuss & post resources for cloth pads often, they are also a great resource. Not to mention, their Fluff Love University website is amazing for CD info. They've reviewed nearly every washing machine & detergent!

Well I'll be looking into that as well now!
  • Options
    I use them and LOVE Yurtcraft on Etsy. LOVE
  • Options
    I'm pregnant with my first now, and want to use cloth diapers because I've been using cloth pads for years and I love them! My favorite brand is Mimi's dreams - she has the cutest prints and they are very high quality. You can either buy pads in-stock from her etsy store, or you can order special requests from her website - if you do the latter, there is a bit of a wait as she sews them. Totally understandable of course, and worth the wait, but just a heads-up. Going to place an order for postpartum pads soon!
  • Options
    DIVA CUP!!!
  • Options
    So for moms who have done this before, what would you recommend for CSP's postpartum? I found a couple retailers who make "goddess sizes" and "postpartum" but I'm having difficulty trying to figure out how many I'll need to get.

Would 12 be sufficient for a full day? I was thinking six for the day time and just use depends for overnight, but I have zero idea how much blood I'm going to be dealing with realistically...
  • Options
    I love my cloth pads! I made my first batch right after college and between them and my Diva cup haven't bought any feminine hygiene products in over 5 years. I'm currently sewing my PP pads and planning not to buy any disposables whatsoever. I used a layer of hidden PUL to make them waterproof and terrycloth for extra absorption (I usually fill with a few layers of flannel). I made my own pattern that's my favorite years ago and for these just extended that to be huge! I was thinking 20 PP pads is probably a good number. I'm used to doing cloth laundry and planning to CD from day 1 so I'll just throw it all in together every day/ every other day. Also the FB group Fluff Love Sewing is an awesome resource! I was told by me BFF that she used overnight pads with no leaks and went through 6-8 per day so hoping that number is a good estimate.