March 2016 Moms

Mastitis

So I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my first child, and was just diagnosed with mastitis. 
Doctor gave me some cream for my infected Montgomery glands as well. 
I was just wondering if any of you have ever had this, and if anything besides the antibiotics and cream helped relieve the pain? 
Of course if baby were here I know pumping can help as well, but I'm pretty sure that's a big no-no when I still have 7 more weeks to go. 

Thank you in advance for you advice!

p.s.  Also if any of you have experienced mastitis before child birth, did your doctor look at you like a prized science experiment? I love how excited my doctor gets about uncommon medical things, but she really had me laughing about how abnormal full on mastitis was at this stage. Fun to see someone love their chosen profession so much! 

Re: Mastitis

• I had it right after my son was born and antibiotics cleared it up really quickly. One thing that did help as well was really hot compresses. Sorry you're going through this, I know first hand how painful it is!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks Cmerribury! A hot compress does sound like it would make things feel better! 
    Luckily I think mine is rather minor as it is painful, but more irritating than excruciating. I'm guessing not having to breastfeed currently is also helping with the pain, but I could be wrong. 
    I hope the meds help quickly! 
  • Loading the player...
  • so sorry about the mastitis...is sucks so bad!  I had it several times after my last baby.  The antibiotics definitely help and help quickly.  In the meantime try some warm compresses.  Lansinoh makes these gel things for your breast that you can either heat or cool which feel good and would be good for you to have when your milk comes in anyway.  Massaging the knotted area helps while breastfeeding, not sure if that would help if you weren't expressing any milk though.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • so sorry about the mastitis...is sucks so bad!  I had it several times after my last baby.  The antibiotics definitely help and help quickly.  In the meantime try some warm compresses.  Lansinoh makes these gel things for your breast that you can either heat or cool which feel good and would be good for you to have when your milk comes in anyway.  Massaging the knotted area helps while breastfeeding, not sure if that would help if you weren't expressing any milk though.

Yeah, I'm worried because I know nipple stimulation can bring on PTL or contractions, but I'm not sure about rubbing breast tissue if that would accidentally start something. I can call my doctors office tomorrow and ask the triage nurse if it would help or hinder! 
    Thank you! 
  • I got it about a week postpartum with DD. I was in bed for two days straight, but the antibiotics made me feel 100% better within 24 hours of taking them! I agree with PP about the warm compresses for pain! Feel better!

Pregnancy Ticker

• kitteh81kitteh81 member
    edited February 2016
    so sorry about the mastitis...is sucks so bad!  I had it several times after my last baby.  The antibiotics definitely help and help quickly.  In the meantime try some warm compresses.  Lansinoh makes these gel things for your breast that you can either heat or cool which feel good and would be good for you to have when your milk comes in anyway.  Massaging the knotted area helps while breastfeeding, not sure if that would help if you weren't expressing any milk though.

Yeah, I'm worried because I know nipple stimulation can bring on PTL or contractions, but I'm not sure about rubbing breast tissue if that would accidentally start something. I can call my doctors office tomorrow and ask the triage nurse if it would help or hinder! 
    Thank you! 
    If you're not at risk of premature labor for clear medical reasons,  breast and nipple stimulation won't put you into labor. I'm nursing a toddler through this pregnancy,  and did through my last and went to 41 weeks.  Studies have shown that the oxytocin receptors in the uterus (responsible for triggering and intensifying contractions during labor) are actually LESS receptive during pregnancy up until labor actually starts, and then the number of receptor sites grows exponentially.  So, while it is true that nipple stimulation during labor helps move things along, in the majority of normal healthy pregnancies it won't do a thing to cause premature labor.

At this point I think that massaging the breast and trying to express the clog out is the best course of action.
  • I was thinking that massaging the breast is different than nipple stimulation anyway.  I wouldn't hook yourself up to a pump but just massaging the breast shouldn't trigger contractions.  If it does, stop ;)  
  • Warm compress, antibiotics and hand expressing by massaging the infected duct is what helped me
  • Once again, thank you so much ladies! 
    I'm already feeling worlds better and I am in love with my new lansinoh cool/hot compresses. I know they will come in handy in the months to come as well. 
    Massaging was super tender at first, but feels much better now and hasn't started any contractions or anything I had worried about. 

Im seriously grateful to be a March 16 mama to be!