October 2015 Moms

Safety concerns and in-laws

s&jeggertons&jeggerton member
edited February 2016 in October 2015 Moms
So let me start by saying I love my in laws and that they are amazing people who have really stepped up to the plate to help us after baby was born. I work nights as an ER nurse so during the day either my mom or my father in law watch my daughter at my house while I sleep during the day. My father in law occasionally tells me things that has my anxiety through the roof lately. Like telling me while he washes dishes he puts her in her bumbo seat on the counter or leaves her alone on the couch with a wall of pillows to keep her from rolling off. He also leaves loose blankets in the play yard when she sleeps. I'm trying to walk the fine line between educating him and insulting him. He watches her for free. Part of the problem is that in my line of work I've seen babies die from SIDS or have massive head trauma from falls so the worry is always there. Has anyone else dealt with something similar and how did you handle it? Trying not to go all mama bear on him.

Re: Safety concerns and in-laws

• I would let the blankets slide because he's watching her and I doubt he would sit there while they go over her face but I would mention about the others. The bumbo is scary. 
  •  You could also just tell him that your little one has outgrown the Bumbo. And buy a sleep sack and tell him how much your little one sleeps better in that versus blankets.  Every once in a while white lies make things just a bit easier. 
  • Loading the player...
  • momma2charmomma2char member
    edited February 2016
    Eek!!! I'm a surgical nurse but have heard stories from around the hospital (peds, ER) of accidents happening and it definitely makes me more aware of the different things that would pose a risk.. 3 of which you mentioned above! The smallest fall, even off of a couch could be so harmful. I would just sit down with him and start by letting him know how much you appreciate what he's doing for you and how much you enjoy them being able to spend time together during the day, but mention what you've seen at work and what your worries are. Many people who are not front-line in the medical field just don't have the experience in the trauma something as small as a roll of the couch can cause. I personally wouldn't let any of it slide - my shifts are 12 hours long and I know I wouldn't want to be worrying about the day ahead when I'm supposed to be resting and catching up on sleep. I'm sure he would understand! 
  • I agree about getting rid of the Bumo. Is baby big enough for an excersaucer or something? That would be much safer. Or a high chair even
  • The bumbo has been hidden haha! I did have a heart to heart with my father in law today and fingers crossed he gets the message.