Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Feeling sad. Just want baby to be happy

so my daughter will be 5 weeks old on Saturday. She is sleeping in 6-7 hour stretches at night and feeding often during the day. However , it seems like every other day she is just so unhappy. She usually seems content in the morning after she eats and we play in bed. But the rest of the day is feeding , napping and crying. Its starting to take a toll on me. Everyone says this is normal and she is fine. She is gaining weight and has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. I just want her to be happy :( any suggestions for this sad momma? 

Re: Feeling sad. Just want baby to be happy

• Don't think if it in terms of happiness. Some babies just cry and cry the first couple/few months. Mine is ten weeks and has only just recently been crying less often.

It's hard not to feel like you're doing something wrong or like your baby is miserable, but she probably isn't. Babies just cry.

Have you studied up on the period of "purple crying"?
  • Loading the player...
  • queenwog said:
    Don't think if it in terms of happiness. Some babies just cry and cry the first couple/few months. Mine is ten weeks and has only just recently been crying less often.

It's hard not to feel like you're doing something wrong or like your baby is miserable, but she probably isn't. Babies just cry.

Have you studied up on the period of "purple crying"?

So much this. Babies are tough dude. Try not to let it get to you.
  • My DD is 10 weeks and still cries a tone. I'm hoping for the light at the end of the tunnel but until then I try and coupe with it. Some days it's tough. 
  • She could be gassy. Is she giving you enough burps? My baby has gas pains at 5 weeks and it made her cry a lot.
  • My baby is 9 weeks and does this,  too. Right around 3:00-4:00, she gets really fussy.  I've noticed that it's usually because she's tired,  and I've started to just wear her in the evenings. 

I try to remind myself that crying is communication. In this case,  she's tired or wants to snuggle and move,  and she's just letting me know.  
  • My 11 week old has decided that daddy is his favorite person after having to be separated b/c DH had the flu. He will literally cry if anyone but DH holds him. On the bright side, I get a break. 
  • Oh yes! DD is 11 weeks and I feel like I get a total of 45 mins of happy baby a day. The rest is grumpy or sleeping. She's smiling and I even got a giggle yesterday I just wish there were more happy moments and less grumpy/crying!
  • DD has her days where it's really easy and some days that are just so bad that even I can get so overwhelmed about things. Remember to take a deep breath and walk away for 5 minutes if needed.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• At 5/6 weeks babies can get really overwhelmed by all the new sensory information they are able to take in and tend to get really fussy and clingy in response.  

There is is also usually a pretty big growth spurt at this time so they are eating like crazy.

It it takes a bit for us to get attuned to their needs too and how they express themselves nonverbally so that leads to a lot of crying if we miss the early signals.  Crying is their main form of communication at that point so it's pretty normal.
  • She's not sad. She's learning how to communicate. Babies that young cry for all reasons from "this hurts" to "fine weather we're having old bean!" And she cries the most with you because you're the only person who matters to her right now. You're the one she trusts to get things done so she cries to you. It's a good thing!

look Google "wonder weeks" - you will not only feel better, you will be pleased that you have a crier on your hands. It's a sign of good to come. So don't worry about her. She's on track. All you gotta do is hang in there and love her.

hearts and arms, momma, hearts and arms is what it takes.