March 2016 Moms

induced due to high blood pressure

cridervcriderv member
edited February 2016 in March 2016 Moms
Hey ladies. This is my first pregnancy and at 33 weeks I started having high blood pressure problems. I was rushed to the emergency room with what I thought was a heart attack due to: dizziness, could barely breath, chest pain, floaters and abdominal pain. Come to find out, it was a severe anxiety attack and my blood pressure was through the roof. My doctor put me on Procardia xl 60mg for blood pressure and to prevent pre-eclampsia. My blood pressure still is not the best here are some examples:
126/59    hr 63   
172/84    hr 88    
178/72    hr 95     
164/88    hr 88     
160/78    hr 88      
175/88    hr 80      
167/96    hr 91      
143/73    hr 88     

These have been over the past few days - I was told to keep track of it. Have any of you ladies been induced for numbers like this? I have a sonogram scheduled in 4 days to "check on her and make some decisions" - my doctor said that. My doctor is normally calm, cool and collected but I can tell he's very concerned. He's been calling to check up on me. Just really need advice/stories.

Re: induced due to high blood pressure

• This is my third pregnancy with gestational hypertension. My first was also IUGR discovered at 36 weeks. Usually my hypertension doesn't show up until 36ish weeks, but this time it started at 20 weeks. I monitor my pressure three times a day and have to notify them if it's ever consistently 150s+/90s+.  They're worried more about the lower number, and only then when I get a couple of 90+ readings in a row. I hit those numbers rarely, say a 157/97 maybe once every 3-4 days...but I rest and within an hour I'm back down to 130-140/80something. My heart rate tends to run 80s-130 (it runs higher when the heart has worked hard to get the pressure down, and I can feel short of breath or dizzy from that).

I am not medicated because it's not consistently high. I also watch for headaches and sudden swelling, and have been going in every 2 weeks since 24 weeks, primarily for the urine testing. But, I have no other symptoms other than the higher readings that sometimes spike...and in my case the docs think it's more an underlying chronic hypertension that comes out in pregnancy. So, they don't worry about pre-eclampsia as much as placenta problems and growth problems, since I've had that before.  I now have bi-weekly AF scans, monthly growth scans, and next week start my weekly NSTs.

I'm also on a baby asprin to encourage good placental blood flow, and Dr. has every intention of inducing during the 38th week if I stay as I am. If my numbers start getting worse or if I have any other problems, it'll be during the 37th week.  With my first, she was IUGR at 4lb10oz and my pressures were 155+/90+, consistently. She was induced at 37w4d and is absolutely perfect at almost 5 years old. My second was induced at 39w3d when I hit 155/90 that day and had the option to start daily NSTs or just induce. My cervix was very favorable and I actually delivered her just 5 hours later!    Try not to worry, especially if they're medicating for the hypertension. As I understand it, as long as it's just hypertension and its well monitored and "controlled," they keep you cooking to minimum 38 weeks.  

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

• Mostly what she said... lol....

But also... I know tons of women while done procardia even up to 4 times a day! So there's still wiggle room mama...

I assume they gave u some instructions on what to avoid... what activities to avoid... etc over the next few weeks? I'd lay low and just take it easy. ... no caffeine. ... no fried food no fast food no super salty food.... 60-80 ounces of water a day etc
  • Loading the player...
  • My high BP came later in pregnancy. Since I had no other symptoms, the doctor had me come in twice a week until I went into labor.
  • I have high blood pressure all the time not just during pregnancy. I take meds 2x a day. I take Aldomet 2000 mg daily. My blood pressures read usually top number in 150s and bottom mid to upper 80s. It's been this way with all 4 of my pregnancies. I do monitor my bp in morning and night. Unless you develop preclamsia I don't think will induce this early for you. Be very careful of your salt intake. Watch for a lot sudden swelling and severe headaches.
  • I don't have any advice but your doctor sounds awesome if they're calling to check on you like that. 
  • I had a section at 38 weeks with my first due to preeclampsia, so obviously high BP, but I don't remember my numbers as it was almost 8 years ago. (Crazy how quickly time goes!) With my daughter, I was induced at 39+5 for a 190/110 reading. Like, they almost had an ambulance take me from my clinic to the hospital, but my numbers were fine leading up to the one big spike. This time, I'm seeing a homebirth midwife and we are very proactively thing to keep BP down (baby aspirin is one thhbg I'm doing, as someone else mentioned) as well as LOTS of protein and plenty of calories to keep my blood volume up. You could try those things. Although I'd double check with my provider on the baby aspirin. I hope you end up having a lot longer to go ;) and a super healthy babe!

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• Did she put you on bed rest?
    BabyFruit Ticker