Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Belly Sleeper Diaper Leakage

Hi! My 12 month old is a belly sleeper, and lately, she's been sleeping with her tush up in the air. She's an awesome sleeper, but we've been having major issues with diaper leakage when she sleeps super long stretches, particularly on the weekends. Where she sleeps on her tummy, and especially where she sleeps on her tummy with her butt in the air, when her diaper gets full, the pee seems to just run straight out the front of her diaper, leaving her soaked! This does not bother her -- she continues to stay asleep. But we have a mess to clean up every morning. Does anyone have any tips on how to help? She's 22 pounds and wears a size 4 diaper, which fits just fine. She doesn't have leakage problems during the day at all. I bought some size 5s to try to size up at night. I secure the diaper tightly and it goes up past her belly button.At first it seemed to help. But this morning we had an even bigger mess than usual. 

I'm considering two diapers! A 4 with a 5 on top. I've also thought about putting a pull up on over her diaper? Any advice??? It makes me feel so bad that she's sleeping in damp PJs, even though it doesn't bother her at all. It's gotten pretty cold where we are, down into the teens last night, and it kills me to think she might be cold and wet! 

Re: Belly Sleeper Diaper Leakage

• BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited January 2016
    Are they night time diapers? I use a size up in Huggies overnight diapers and that seems to keep my DD drly.
  • I also size up nighttime diapers. I am still nursing, and I usually change ds' diaper and nurse him before I go to sleep.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I sized up in Pamper's Baby Dry, which claim 12-hour nighttime protection. I haven't tried Huggies Overnights though. I went out today and bought some of the plastic diaper covers that a lot of people use with cloth diapers. If I can at least prevent her PJs and sheets from getting soaked, that would be helpful! 
  • we change her diaper last thing before bed, but she sleeps about 11 hours during the week, and anywhere from 12-14 on the weekend, and the diapers just aren't holding up that long. 
  • jlf1019 said:
    I sized up in Pamper's Baby Dry, which claim 12-hour nighttime protection. I haven't tried Huggies Overnights though. I went out today and bought some of the plastic diaper covers that a lot of people use with cloth diapers. If I can at least prevent her PJs and sheets from getting soaked, that would be helpful! 

I personally can't stand Pampers. I don't think they hold up well at all.
  • Have you though about trying those rubber undies they put on over cloth diapers?

I have never heard of anyone doing this with disposables, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have the same problem with my 16 mo son, he leaks almost nightly! I had been using Huggies overnights but still had leakage. I JUST got a pack of Pampers baby dry and went up a size just for night and so far, so good a few nights in!

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• My 12 month old is 22lbs and we have been using Pampers size 3 swaddlers during the day and night but lately we've been finding that his diapers just can't hold his pee over night and it's been seeping through. We just switched to size 4 pampers overnights and so far so good. Maybe try the overnights? Good luck! Wet pjs are no good!!
  • Definitely try some different brands and sizes. My daughter was leaking through her diaper and we gave her a bigger size for nights and it seemed to fix it.

Another thing that makes cleaning it up easier is layering a sheet, over a mattress pad, over another sheet, over another mattress pad, etc. I've done this since my kids were teeny and it makes cleaning up a breeze. Just peel off a layer and wash.
  • We had this issue with my son, who is also a tummy sleeper. I used the overnight diapers, but there was still leakage. I found these awesome things called diaper booster pads. You can get them on Amazon (and I'm sure a million other places). I use one of those along with the overnight diaper and haven't had an issue since! Good luck