November 2015 Moms

Tooth+nursing help

DS will be 3 months on Friday and already has a tooth breaking through. It's really sharp and it hurts when he's nursing. Is there anyway to make it a little less uncomfortable? My sister told me to flick him in the mouth when he kinda bites/hurts me...and I don't want to do that! 

Re: Tooth+nursing help

• Don't flick him! He's 3 months he has no clue how cause and effect works! That is the worst advice ever. 
    Unlatch and relatch when he bites. He's so young he's probably not doing it on purpose. 
    Stop nursing when it happens and start again with a good latch. 

When my DD was teething every new tooth brought me pain and had her learning to latch properly all over again. It's changing the way they use their mouths so it takes some getting used to. Usually after a week things would be better. 
  • I have no personal experience with this, but my friend said that when her baby would bite her, she would take him off the breast, cover her breasts, and tell her son firmly (but not yelling) "No." Then she would offer him the breast again. It took awhile, but she says her baby eventually understood that biting meant that his food would be delayed, which nobody likes.

No offense intended to your sister, but flicking a baby anywhere (especially a sensitive place like the mouth) doesn't jive with my parenting approach.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not looking forward to this. At. All. Good luck!
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited February 2016
    Kellymom has a great article on this, but I think it's geared more toward older babies. Still do a search and read it over. 

And I can't agree with @Pontot31 more - flicking your baby is just awful advice. 
  • And that is why I asked lol I thought it was awful advice and mean too. 
    I'll try adjusting his latch. Thanks ladies