October 2016 Moms

Smoothies and other non-cooked foods

Since the smell of food cooking initiates an immediate gag reflex,  I have to get a little creative with meals. I want to eat foods with lots of nutrition with out emitting any smell,  that's not too much to ask, right?  :p Lara bars and Kind bars have been my bffs along with smoothies. Also chicken salad on a bed of fresh spinach sounds appetizing, also veggies and hummus. Anyone have any specific smoothy recipe or non-cooked foods? Right now I have 3 go-to smoothies

*Mango Smoothie*
Handful of fresh spinach
Frozen mangos
Half apple juice/half orange juice

*PB&J Smoothie*
Handful of spinach (yes I put it in all my smoothies  :p )
Half frozen blueberries half frozen strawberries
Big spoon of nut butter of choice (or sunbutter if you have nut allergies)
Grape juice

*Chocolate Peanut butter Smoothie*
Yep, you got it: spinach
Frozen bananas
Cocoa powder
Coconut milk
Nut butter of choice

Any other suggestions?

D&E  <3 2/08/2008 <3
DD1 7/31/2008 <3
DD2 6/16/2010 <3
DD3 5/10/2012 <3
IUD surprise pregnancy/MC 2015  :'(
Little Rainbow Due 10/2/2016  <3

Re: Smoothies and other non-cooked foods

• My first aversion to meat started yesterday.  I plan to add a lot of quinoa and lentils to get more protein, but I hadn't thought of smoothies!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I started drinking Carnation Breakfast Essentials a couple weeks before our BFP bc I'm underweight and I've continued with them. They're good for nutrition when you don't feel like eating.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I kept a bag of baby carrots and saltines in my purse at all times, and found that they really helped with MS. I had a really bad meat aversion last go around... just the sight of meat made me want to hurl. The smell? Forget it! ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• I just went out and bought a blender because I've been craving smoothies so much. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • If you like larabars, I would try these energy balls: https://detoxinista.com/2013/09/date-energy-balls-vegan-paleo/

They're super easy to make, so delicious, and a great snack on the go or healthy dessert.  They have a lot of good fats and protein.  Definitely helpful to have these to grab when you feel that nausea coming on.

I have kind of the opposite problem, cold food is just not very appealing to me right now.  Especially salads, even the ones I usually love.  It just doesn't sit right and the taste is off  :/
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• All I want to eat is fresh fruits and veggies.  I usually love pizza and it just doesn't taste the same.  Almost everything tastes too salty. ugh!

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @Blonde1817 I will definitely give those energy balls a try, they look perfect! I  loving all kinds of salads right now which sucks because there was a recall on spinach, romain, iceburg, ect in my area due to listeria  :(  I would love to be able to eat warm foods also to know that I am cooking the heck out of any bacteria.

@mkc3888 that's me right now! I looked up fruit salads on pinterest nd drooled over all the combos! There was one with watermelon, backberries, and fresh mint that looked sooo good! 

D&E  <3 2/08/2008 <3
    DD1 7/31/2008 <3
    DD2 6/16/2010 <3
    DD3 5/10/2012 <3
    IUD surprise pregnancy/MC 2015  :'(
    Little Rainbow Due 10/2/2016  <3

• mkc3888 said:
    All I want to eat is fresh fruits and veggies.  I usually love pizza and it just doesn't taste the same.  Almost everything tastes too salty. ugh!
    Sweet and merciful!  I'm not the only one who thinks everything tastes too salty now too!  Hallelujah!  I was starting to think I'd lost my mind.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I love the smoothie  recipes! 
    My go to right now is Vega whole food powder. I put a scoop in my smoothie  and usually half a bananna, 1.5 cups of berries (frozen) and some water. It   has really been helping me get food in me I  the morning and still have enough energy  to  survive  the day.
  • I love smoothies! I've been making smoothies almost daily for breakfast even before I was preggo but even now I still love them and find them filling and nutritious. Here is typically what I use:

1 cup frozen berries or tropical blend (pineapple, mango, nectarines, peaches etc)
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 fresh banana
    1 snack size cup of mandarin oranges or applesauce
    1 scoop stevia
    1 scoop greens vegetable powder

This usually makes about 4 cups, enough for both me and my hubs. If I have other fresh fruits or veg on hand I throw it in as well. Whatever we have and it always tastes yummy!

I love having the vegetable powder, it's so easy to add to smoothies or even sauces to make sure I am getting enough nutrients. I have always loved a good hearty salad but now my food aversions are kicking in and the thought of salad or any roughage just makes me feel like bleeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh. Good thing is I have been craving fruits and crunchy veggies... and pickles :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The hubs made a huge batch of smoothies last night and froze them in little travel cups for me. Think he used milk, fresh pineapple, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries plus some egg white protein. Keeping the m/s at bay today! Also finally getting some fresh fruits in since i have barely been eating with the nausea this last week or so.