October 2015 Moms
Options

Ear piercing

What's everyone's opinions on this? My husband's family is really pushing for us to pierce our daughter's ears. As soon as I found out we were having a girl, I was thinking of piercing her ears early on. My mom had mine done by my pediatrician when I was 6 months old. What are you girl mamas planning on doing? No judgment here, just curious to see if we can compare opinions!

Re: Ear piercing

• Options
    cbolton19 said:
    I'm waiting until she wants them pierced. Then we can make it a fun day for her. I want her to have the option though.  
    Agreed! This is what my mom did for me. We went to lunch, got my ears pierced, walked the mall and picked out cute earrings for when my initial piercing earrings could be changed. I still remember and this was 22 years ago! I want that same memory for me and my girls.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm waiting until she wants them pierced. It's her body, I wouldn't want to put holes in it permanently that she may not want when she's older. Plus, her ears are still growing and the holes could become misplaced if they don't grow exactly the same. 
  • Options
    I am just wondering why your husband's parents are pushing for it? Surely it's yours and your husbands decision? Anyway, I would say let your daughter decide when she is old enough.
  • Options
    AiramJ said:
    I am just wondering why your husband's parents are pushing for it? Surely it's yours and your husbands decision? Anyway, I would say let your daughter decide when she is old enough.
    Yes, obviously it's our decision. I just made the comment that they are being very pushy and are avidly suggesting we do it while she's young. Their opinion in no way will affect our decision.
  • Options
    FatPonyFatPony member
    edited February 2016
    This

eta - this has got to be the shittiest app out there. I was trying to agree with pp and let my kid decide for themselves. Then it turned into me hating on this glitchy app
  • Options
    chein1 said:
    cbolton19 said:
    I'm waiting until she wants them pierced. Then we can make it a fun day for her. I want her to have the option though.  
    Agreed! This is what my mom did for me. We went to lunch, got my ears pierced, walked the mall and picked out cute earrings for when my initial piercing earrings could be changed. I still remember and this was 22 years ago! I want that same memory for me and my girls.
    Me too! It was so fun. My mom, sister and I went. It was great. 

That is another reason for me too. Her ears are so tiny. Misplacement now could turn out weird later. 

This is app is glitchy AF. Ugh. sorry for the weird tags. The app is being crap atm. 

@FatPony
    @ktlany
  • Options
    VioletandRoseVioletandRose member
    edited February 2016
    Going to ask the doctor tomorrow when/where she suggests. I had my ears pierced as a baby and plan to do the same with my daughter. When I was an older kid I had an additional 2 holes put in my ears (my own decision) and remember even though I wanted to do it, I dreaded it. It was not a "fun day out" with my mom; I am not a needle person. The first piercing is something I don't even remember, and I'd like it to be that way for my daughter. If it turns out later in life that she doesn't want to wear earrings, NBD. It's not a tattoo, it's a barely noticeable little mark on her ear.
  • Options
    I had mine pierced at 6 weeks old and have loved my mom for it. At that age they won't pull at them or insist that they change the earrings, allowing them to heal. I also have 2 nieces that had them done as infants and my sister has never regretted doing it. That being said, I still don't plan on piercing my daughter's ears. I'm not against it, I just want her to be able to make the decision
  • Options
    ktlany said:
    I'm waiting until she wants them pierced. It's her body, I wouldn't want to put holes in it permanently that she may not want when she's older. Plus, her ears are still growing and the holes could become misplaced if they don't grow exactly the same. 

I 100% agree with all of this.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the opinions ladies!! I really appreciate it---love this group!
  • Options
    I want to get my LO's done. I asked Tuesday at her 4 month appointment if they would do it at her pediatrician but they said no. I don't know anywhere around here that will do it. I'm gonna have to make a few calls. I had mine done when I was pretty young but old enough to know what was going on and I walked around for 2 years with only one ear done because I refused to have the other done. 
  • Options
    trishee13 said:
    I want to get my LO's done. I asked Tuesday at her 4 month appointment if they would do it at her pediatrician but they said no. I don't know anywhere around here that will do it. I'm gonna have to make a few calls. I had mine done when I was pretty young but old enough to know what was going on and I walked around for 2 years with only one ear done because I refused to have the other done. 
    It's funny you say that, my mom had them do both ears at the same time so I would have both of them done. 
  • Options
    @trishee13 I've been going back and forth with this practically since she was born and have been talking to everyone I know. Ive gotten a lot of recommendations for taking babies to reputable tattoo/piercing shops--apparently there are less risks for infections with the one-time use needles rather than the piercing gun.
  • Options
    FWIW, I talked to our doc yesterday about piercing LO's ears, and she said no problem at all, just have it done after her 6 month immunizations. There are 2 doctors in the practice who pierce ears; she'll have it done by one of them.

Anyone who's had their baby's ears pierced in a doctor's office, was it done with a needle or a piercing gun? Just curious.
  • Options
    @sarapagan yeah exactly, I want somewhere that will use a needle not a place in the mall with a gun (though every hole in my ear was done with a gun?) but from what I read piercing shops won't do babies even in NH (I'm in MA right on the border) so if I can't get it done with a needle I'll wait, it's not worth even a tiny risk with a gun. 
  • Options
    My sister and I had ours done as babies. I had additional ones later on. Every time done with a gun. They clean it and the earrings are of course new and sterile. I thought a gun is most 'humane' - very quick and pain free. piercing with a needle takes longer and is fiddly. I can imagine it's hard to keep baby still for that?!
  • Options
    I got a lot of piercings done as a teenager, and every piercer warned me against getting them done with the 'gun'. A professional piercer uses sterilzed instruments. The plastic gun can't go into the autoclave or it will melt, so apparently it can't be fully sterilized. Mind you, this was 10+ yrs ago, so maybe sterilization techniques have evolved. Still, I would go to a professional piercer, rather than get my infants ears pierced by a part time mall employee with questionable equipment. 
  • Options
    Agreed with @FatPony
  • Options
    This seems really dangerous. What if your baby pulls out the earring and chokes on them. What if they get an infection? I don't understand the need at this age.
  • Options
    Im just curious because I really don't know...But do they hurt and sting for weeks at a time after getting them pierced just like ours do? I would assume but I have no experience with babies and peirced ears. I hate watching DD cry during her shots, I can't even imagine piercing her little ears and having to remember to clean them twice a day. I think I got mine when I was in kindergarten. Boy did I feel like big stuff. :blush: 
  • Options
    @MamaBear345 I've never had mine hurt for weeks?? Only when I sleep on them which she's obviously not doing.. Yours hurt for weeks? I have like 8 holes in my ears and none of them stung or hurt for weeks?? Ive never heard of that.
  • Options
    MamaBear345MamaBear345 member
    edited February 2016
    @trishee13 My baby sleeps with her head to the side so she would be sleeping on her ears. :smiley: and sorry I should have clarified better, hurt at the touch for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    TETO, but I would never consider altering my babies body for jewelry without their request.  
  • Options
    Yep we're in the waiting until she asks camp! I was 8 when I got mine done and it is such a fun memory that I have! I want my little girl to have the same chance (or choose not to if it's not her thing!)
  • Options
    @MamaBear345 we got my LO's ears done two weeks ago and other than right when we pierced them, she has shown no signs of her ears hurting her, even when we clean them 3x a day. And she also sleeps with her head to the side!
  • Options
    @MamaBear345 ah okay.. Gotcha.. Yeah my LO sleeps on a "pillow" to keep her head rounded out per her pediatrician so she won't move her head to the side haha.. But like anything else to each his/her own. If I can't find a place I think looks legit I'm obviously not going to do it. My LO at this point never touches her ears so I'm not too worried about infection or anything like that. Just me cleaning it :)
  • Options
    @leessshhh She is beautiful!!!
  • Options
    sarapagan said:
    @leessshhh She is beautiful!!!
    thankyou ! she looks like her daddy just with my eyes . 
  • Options
    If you do decide to get them done I prefer a pediatrician. He used an ointment to numb the lobe. She cried because she didn't like being touched but as soon as he was done she stopped crying and went back to sleep. And she never messed with them or try to grab at them either. Her shots are a whole lot worse experience! To clean them we used saline wound wash instead of alcohol. Eliminates any stinging and keeps the piercing clean. And when she turns five or six we will be going to the mall for a her big earrings! =) she gets to choose them and has a fun day with out the anxiety of getting them pierced. Or maybe take them out I guess if she didn't want them. Lol but that'd how we did it as a kid. All of my sisters and I had it done as babies and big girl earing at 6 
  • Options
    We got our little ladies ears pierced this last Tuesday after asking our pediatrician. They actually recommend it because at 6 months they don't fiddle with it like a toddler or older child would plus you can actually clean them where as an 8 year old is going to demand to do it themselves. She also stated at this age infection is less likely again bc the parents are in charge of keeping them clean. Honestly she cried for about a minute we hugged her and then she's forgotten about them. I don't regret it in the slightest. She can get a 2nd ear piercing if she wants to when she's older but the first one is done. Plus she looks adorable with them in.