May 2016 Moms
Options

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

JoMunsonJoMunson member
edited February 2016 in May 2016 Moms
Over the past few weeks I've been hearing about the benefits of red raspberry tea- it can lower blood sugar in diabetic women, promote circulation, and even tone your uterus and pelvic floor. It can also shorten labor if you drink it in the first stage. I bought some and have been drinking it but I wanted to know if any other moms have been drinking it or if you noticed a difference.

Re: Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

• Options
    wamam027wamam027 member
    edited February 2016
    I drank it to help with conceiving when we started trying as I had heard of the benefits. I was told by my ob that it can cause preterm labor so I shouldn't drink it until 37 weeks and later, so I haven't had any since getting my bfp. I have every intention on drinking it again at 37 weeks. 
  • Options
    I drank it last time starting at 37 weeks. I can't comment on the effectiveness of labor because DS was frank breech, so even though I went into labor, he didn't go anywhere until the cs. I did have a few bouts of false labor at 37-38w; I don't know if it was related to the tea or not.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB gave me the ok to drink it throughout pregnancy which I have been doing.  My friend, who had her first baby in September, recommended it to me and she happened to have a very easy labor... don't know if it was the tea or not but I figure it is worth a shot!  (BTW- I am talking about raspberry leaf tea which is different from red raspberry tea).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @littlebb22 yes! Sorry fixed the title!
  • Options
    I drank it pre pregnancy as I heard it was good for uterine health in general, I wasn't drinking it consistently when we got our BFP but I guess it's possible that it was related. I am going to ask my doctor about it at our next appointment, but from what I've heard it's usually only ok'd for the end of pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I have pregnancy tea that has red raspberry leaf in it- my midwife has said when I use up all of that or starting in my 3rd trimester(whichever comes first)to start drinking straight red raspberry leaf tea. I've heard great things about drinking it and lots of moms who swear by it.
  • Options
    My doctor said not to have any tea with this ingredient throughout pregnancy.
  • Options
    Really? Did he say why?
  • Options
    My OB also said to avoid red raspberry leaf. Didn't say why.
  • Options
    My prenatal actually has red rasberry leaf in it. I was told it's good to drink a couple cups a day during your third trimester 
  • Options
    @thenaturalist my birth class instructor told us to start drinking it. I'm wondering if people are told not to because it can sometimes cause Braxton Hicks
  • Options
    All I've ever read about it indicates that it has no real effect.

I'm not a big believer in pseudomedicinal supplements anyway -- there's no standardization or regulation of their dosage or contents, no objective verification of their claims, and if they did have some measurable effect then I would also expect them to have potentially significant drawbacks or side effects, like every actual medication -- so my feeling is, if it makes you feel better to take it, go for it. Probably it won't do any harm. But I also wouldn't expect it to have any beneficial effect beyond placebo.
  • Options
    JoMunson said:
    Really? Did he say why?
    It can cause miscarriage.
  • Options
    Merciel said:
    All I've ever read about it indicates that it has no real effect.

I'm not a big believer in pseudomedicinal supplements anyway -- there's no standardization or regulation of their dosage or contents, no objective verification of their claims, and if they did have some measurable effect then I would also expect them to have potentially significant drawbacks or side effects, like every actual medication -- so my feeling is, if it makes you feel better to take it, go for it. Probably it won't do any harm. But I also wouldn't expect it to have any beneficial effect beyond placebo.
    So much this.
  • Options
    JoMunson said:
    Really? Did he say why?
    It can cause miscarriage.
    My Doc said the same thing but she said the risk is only in the first trimester and that its perfectly safe in the third. Can never seem to get all the OBs and doctors on the same page with anything. 
  • Options
    So true! I hadn't heard the miscarriage part but it makes sense, baby needs to "bed down" in the uterus and that's hard if it's contracting or squeezing in any way. I also think it's possible that it's a total placebo effect, but like pp said, if it's a placebo that works for you and makes you feel better, do it!
  • Options
    @JoMunson I'm not 100% positive. But i assume that may be right. I know you gotta be careful drinking tea especially if you're drinking a couple cups a day. You'd have to really up your water intake so you don't have BH.