December 2015 Moms
Options

clingy baby

So I was hoping this would start to improve by itself by now but it seems to have gotten worse. She will not sleep unless someone is holding her, she's 9 weeks. Now I wouldn't mind so much except I have a toddler that I would love to play with while she naps. On top of having to hold her it has to be dark and quiet preferably with a boob in her mouth it seems. Anyone have any tips? I believe in the fourth trimester but at the same time I feel like I'm enabling habits that will be hard to break later. I just want to be able to put her down for naps! She can't self soothe at all, it's probably too early for that though. 

Re: clingy baby

• Options
    I dont think a 9 week old baby can purposely be clingy. Your LO might just like being cuddled and protected. You can always wear him and let him nap while you spend time with your toddler. 
  • Options
    My DD is similar although I enjoy holding her for naps most of the time. She sleeps better and longer when she's held.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh trust me I don't think she's being purposely clingy, she's a baby after all and I love the snuggles! It's probably just part of her personality. Having a snuggle bug will be nice especially since my toddler never really was, he could only sleep in his crib. I'll try wearing her when I see her getting drowsy, that should help free up my hands for play time. 
  • Options
    My LO fusses (babbles) when placed inside the boba wrap but falls asleep as soon as I start moving. Works wonders for us. 
  • Options
    My first kiddo was EXACTLY like this!  Wearing her was the only way to get anything done.  But, after the 4th trimester, she was so much better!  You aren't teaching any "bad habits" that she won't naturally grow out of.  If she's anything like mine, you should enjoy the snuggles now because later she'll be too busy to give them! :-)

• Options
    cblanco1cblanco1 member
    edited February 2016
    My baby is just like this too, we've been slowly moving her to a cosleeper after she doses into deep sleep. I've put a burping blanket with my smell right by her face and that works for us. If she wiggles at first I'll put my hand on her so she knows I'm there and settles back down. We started using a paci for the boob thing and that has been magic :)

Anyway this is my first kid so I'm not sure this stuff will work on other babies but just my experience so far.
  • Options
    My things are trial and error as babies are so different from one another so you have to go through process of elimination. 

Wearing your LO would be my 1st suggestion as PP have suggested. Try different kinds, some are more comfortable than others. Some babies like to face out instead of in etc..

Does she take a paci? If she does great! That should also help with self soothing. If not, try different brands to see if she prefers s one o er another.

My last recommendation is to be persistent where you want her to nap. l because it might take repetition and persistence is key. I wait until my LO is in deep sleep before transferring (usually up to 15 mins) and he stays no problem 97% of the time now. She will become accustomed and stay, you'll be surprised. I used to think my LO napped longer in my arms so I'd let him but I eventually realized it wasn't tha much of a difference. 

I understand what you're going through. My LO is not a self soother either. Doesn't like to be worn or take a paci. I ran out of pacis ro try but not carriers, lol. I also bought a swing over the weekend AND a vibrating chair. I am determined to find something that helps/makes him happy. Hang in there mama. Like PP have said they're still little and this won't last for long. 

• Options
    I'm baby wearing today and she's snoozing peacefully! she had her 2 month shots today; it's crazy I remember my son sleeping peacefully for hours by himself after his shots and she refused to stay sleeping until I got her in the Moby wrap. She's refused every pacifier we've tried and now I'm just waiting for my sister to get her swing for me to see if that helps. It's crazy how different siblings are as babies, I feel like a FTM all over again! Thanks for your suggestions!!
  • Options
    Addy1227 said:
    I'm baby wearing today and she's snoozing peacefully! she had her 2 month shots today; it's crazy I remember my son sleeping peacefully for hours by himself after his shots and she refused to stay sleeping until I got her in the Moby wrap. She's refused every pacifier we've tried and now I'm just waiting for my sister to get her swing for me to see if that helps. It's crazy how different siblings are as babies, I feel like a FTM all over again! Thanks for your suggestions!!
    I was going to suggest the swing. Both my kids nap very well in the swing - don't be afraid to really get it going! I like the 3rd tier setting (fp cradle n' swing). My friend was over yesterday & saw dd in the swing & said "oh- maybe that's why the swing never worked for us! I never had it swing that fast!" Lol 
  • Options
    My LO fusses (babbles) when placed inside the boba wrap but falls asleep as soon as I start moving. Works wonders for us. 
    I just bought the boba wrap today.  Mainly for nursing, but it'll be so much easier to use around the house than my giant Infantino carrier.  I'm so excited. (:

And my son is six weeks and is constantly clingy, which I don't mind, unless it's in the late hours like now and I want to sleep.  He won't sleep unless I'm holding him or he's on top of me, and once he's asleep we just have to put him down and pray that he stays asleep...  We haven't used our crib more than once but he sleeps in his swing (he won't fall asleep in the swing though).  I love the cuddlies though, don't get me wrong.