1st Trimester

Moderate bleeding, no cramps, worried!

I am pregnant with baby #2 and should be around 8 weeks. With my daughter I had no bleeding of any kind and with this pregnancy for the last week I have been spotting which is now a moderate bleeding. Not as heavy as a period but more than spotting and it's bright red. I have no pain of any kind. I am freaking out because my insurance doesn't go into effect for another week. Has anyone else had this? Is it normal? Should I be worried? If I don't have pain do I need to go to the ER anyways? It's been bright red for a few days. Help??

Re: Moderate bleeding, no cramps, worried!

• Go to the ER. This is one of those things that the internet cannot answer for you.
    BabyGaga
  • No, go to minor care don't plug up ER unless you have fever and excruciating pain. ER is for emergencies in which you think your life is threatened.and if you are mc they can do nothing but send you home.  It's expensive and if insurance hasn't kicked in, it's double the problem. Rest, take it easy and wait, if you can't wait, minor care is a better solution but they will tell you same thing, can't do anything about it. Call your OB on Monday and tell them situation.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been having cramping early on, so I called my RE. They said that cramping, and even bleeding, in early pregnancy can be completely normal. I would not go to the ER, but I would definitely call your doctor on Monday morning.

<3 *Loss & bfp mentioned*

me 28 (Lean PCOS, hypothyroid) dh 33
    TTC #1 since early 2011
    May 2011- natural pregnancy (metformin only); m/c @ 9 weeks + D&C
    July 2011- lap to remove dermoid cyst
    August 2012-current- 9 rounds of Clomid, 1 cycle of Femara, several cycles of soy isos, 1 IUI, O'd every cycle, BFN
    August 2014- lap to remove uterine septum. Everything else looking good.
    Moving onto IVF Feb/March 2016 Just kidding. Natural bfp 1/30/16.
    1st beta 2/1 = 110. 2nd beta 2/3 = 332.

First ultrasound 2/19 - one baby with a heart rate of 127! EDD 10/11/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The ER would be more expensive than just calling an OB. Wouldn't it?
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• ER can't help you with minor spotting. Right now it's best to drink your water & rest. Go through the check list before you panic:

-- Did I strain to poop?
    -- have I had sex in the last couple of days? 

The cervix & vaginal area are sensitive. Any one of these things can cause spotting. If the flow gets heavier to the point where you go through a regular pad per hour-- THEN go to emergency room. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Though I can't tell you what is going on with your pregnancy, I can give you my experience that was similar to yours. I had red bleeding for days at a time, sometimes it would literally gush out. I swore I was going to miscarry. I ended up going to the er for my sanity, I had to know either way (which is probably what you are thinking). It turned out to be placenta previa and a hematoma that was rupturing causing the bleeding. I was told that the possibility of miscarriage was there up until I was over 5 months along. The placenta previa and hematoma resolved itself and the bleeding finally stopped around the 5 month mark. My daughter is now 7 years old and perfect. The unfortunate thing is if you are going to miscarry there's nothing that can be done, but I totally understand that you want/need to know. If going to the er will make you feel better then go. Some insurances will back date to when you applied. If you decide to go to the er try to go during the less busy hours. I know it's not an "emergency" unless you are bleeding pretty bad but I also know how stressful it is to be bleeding and wonder why. It is not uncommon to have some bleeding during the first trimester but it is nerve wrecking. Try to relax and know that it doesn't mean you are going to miscarry. Good luck sweetie. 
  • Do what you feel is best! At the er they would order blood work to check your hcg and possibly do an ultrasound. Here is my story with bleeding. With my first I had bright red bleeding right at 5 ish weeks ( I found of very early ) went to the er and was so scared I was losing the baby. They did blood work and an u/s and sent me home, I saw my ob two days later and had blood work and baby was fine I had more bright red bleeding during that pregnancy around 7 weeks, 9 weeks and then at 25 weeks. With my 2nd I had a little bit of bleeding in the very beginning with her as well, never had cramps with them. Then with my 3rd we knew something was not right bc hcg was not doubling but I still had hope. Once I started bleeding and cramping I knew. The cramps with a mc feel like period cramps or worse. The bleeding also should have clots. When I got pregnant the 4th time I had bleeding and cramps for 3 days pretty much within days after getting my bfp. My levels were going up so I thought everything was fine, few weeks later I found out it was a mc and for whatever reason my numbers were still going up. Point of all this is sometimes it really can be nothing, and bleeding can be normal for some. But I felt better knowing what was going on, so if you think going to a walkin or er will give you peace of mind or answers then go for it. If you think you can hold off and wait until Monday to see your doctor then do that. Good luck and I'll be thinking of you! 
  • I posted this in a thread for my update so I'm going to copy it here, it may help you relax a bit.

I will add that I had multiple occasions of brown "old blood" discharge for about 4 days at a time, it would stop and then a week later it would happen again. That was in month two. This recent one I was 12/13 weeks (I'm currently 14)

I just wanted to update to maybe help some ladies, or ease their mind a little bit.

At about 9:30pm on Sunday I was sweeping at work and I felt a gush of something.. I knew what it was so I went into the bathroom and sure enough it was a gush of bright red blood. My mom met me at the ER and I was a mess thinking the worst. I had mild cramping, and the bleeding happened when I would use the restroom or stand up. They hooked me up to fluids and the ultrasound tech was called in. On the ultrasound the baby's heartbeat was good, and was very active. They located the bleeding and said it was "outside where the baby was". I stayed in bed all day Monday. I did go visit my OB who did another ultrasound and baby was even more active and we could see the heartbeat still, he tried to catch it but it was just moving too much, and I see him again next week. Today I'm going to work, followed by two days off where I will take it easy as well. I'm having episodes of crying, I think out of fear.. but my gut instinct that I had lost the pregnancy or was in the beginning stages was wrong. Atleast for now the baby is healthy, growing, moving, and okay. What they told me it is "A Threatened Miscarriage" sounds scary but it doesn't always mean you will lose your baby. So if anyone else is going through this just know that everything can be okay and visit your doctor ASAP.

A further update is the bleeding stopped after 24 hours. About a week later I had heavy brown, dark red and "stringy" or "chunky" looking dishcharge.. sorry TMI. Babies heartbeat is still strong! The bleeding can be a slight separation from the placenta and can be innocent, which was what mine was. Just take it easy, try and relax!