September 2016 Moms

yet another Zika virus post...

Okay, I'm sorry to start another discussion about this, but I'm starting to really worry about some things:

1) I live in the southeast area (specifically right on the border of northwest GA and TN) and certain speculative maps are showing all of the south as possibly being affected, specifically the gulf-bordering states. All the way from Texas up to the Carolinas, and possibly all of the east coast up to NY could be affected as well. Does anyone else live in the south and are you having similar concerns? I jokingly told DH that I wanted to move to Denver from April-July. Here's a link with a map showing where the two types of mosquitos live in the U.S.

2)has anyone brought this up with their OB? If so, what did they say? I plan to ask mine about it at my next appointment on the 11th.

3) Our front and backyard are absolutely RAMPANT with mosquitos as soon as the temp gets above 60 around here. I get eaten alive every summer. Does anyone have any tips/advice on keeping your yard completely mosquito-free? We tried marigolds and candles last year, but they didn't make a huge difference.

4) I have been unable to find out if the threat disappears after 1st trimester. Some articles say the threat is possibly still there even into 2nd tri. Has anyone found info on this?

5) does anyone plan to vacation in the gulf or in FL this summer? We usually try to plan two beach vacations a year and we prefer the gulf beaches in FL. Now I'm thinking we might have to vacation on the Atlantic, but if I'm in 3rd trimester I may not have to worry at all?

I'm sorry for the fear mongering, but I live in the land of mosquitos and they love to bite me. It's hard not to be concerned, when there is no vaccine or any extensive information on the potential impact this could have in our country.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Anniversary       

Re: yet another Zika virus post...

• I get eaten alive by mosquitos year round.  We live in TX and every time the weather spikes back up into the 60s or 70s (like it is now) the mosquitos are back. We are also constantly in fear of West Nile. Lavender, catnip and lemon balm are all natural repellants to most flying insects and we plant lavender in the front and backyards in late winter.  Spraying or bombing your yard doesn't always work the best because that also kills mosquito predators like snails, ants, and beetles.  But there are some tablets you can put in standing water like a bird bath that help repel mosquitos.  And if you are using a spray or lotion on your skin get one that has a high percentage of deet.  Although I need to talk to my OB about that one first bc I know high concentrated deet is not good for children under 2.  Im scared too :s  

• I'm definitely concerned. My family lives in S Florida and I figured I'd go down there once more this year. Now I'm reconsidering. I have to go down to Jacksonville for work in March but I'm not too stressed since I'll be indoors the majority of the time and it's still winter.

I'm going to ask my doctor on Monday since I do have a Bar Mitzvah close to Miami towards the summer. I can skip it if need be but I was hoping to go.

• Loading the player...
  • As far as preventing mosquitos, I say have some citronella plants potted around the area you like to enjoy during the summer months. They work better than the candles. And they get pretty flowers, too!

I'm not in the south, but our part of Pa does have mosquitos pretty bad. I'm growing more concerned about this as well.
  • I live in Florida so it is a concern. Mosquitoes have never really liked me but they love my husband and it can be sexually transmitted!!! I just bought 3 different kinds of bug spray. Skin so soft for everyday, a more natural bug spray for when we go outside and a deet spray for the cases when we are outside at night. 

I am going to the bahamas next week on a 3 night cruise (still not on the CDC list of affected countries). I talked with my OB and basically all she said was to cover up and wear bug spray. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• I was just emailing my husband about this as well.   All the articles I've read noted that it affects in the first-tri to possibly beginning of second-tri.   I've never been so happy to be a New Yorker in my life.    That being said, with El Nino, who knows if we'll continue with the cold temps as normal or if we'll spike into the higher temps.   Also - come spring our entire state is a water logged wonderland, perfect for breading grounds.    I'm really hoping between now and spring there's a better outlook on the spread of it, or best-case scenario, a vaccine is found.   

Until then, the best we can do is what we've all planned on doing for our babies.  Stay informed, stay positive, and be proactive (repellent, plants, coffee grinds (thanks @fiorip hadn't heard that one).  
  • 1) I completely understand your concern. I'm not in the southeast (I'm in the north, whew) but I'm seriously reconsidering a Florida vacation I had planned for the end of March - we'll see how much has spread then and if it's a true concern.

2) I am going to talk to my OB about it in early March, but I'll more likely be following CDC and WHO updates to decide if I'll still go on vacation.

3) Candles are useless. They protect the candle and that's about it :(. You can, however, use chemicals in your lawn to prevent mosquitoes. We used to use a fogger (which sprays chemicals all over the yard), and my husband swears by this mosquito powder you shake on the lawn. They do help, but I'm also not sure how the safe the chemicals are. We don't use them anymore because we have a dog who likes to roll in the grass. I've also heard that you should eliminate any standing water (ponds, buckets, etc) as that is where mosquitoes tend to breed. The best tips I've seen are to wear long sleeves/pants, and bug spray all the time.

4) The discovery of the link between Zika and microcephaly is fairly new, so unfortunately, it doesn't seem like too much is known yet. Including how far into pregnancy it is a concern.

5) Regarding a vacation, I'd keep an eye on it. So far there have been NO locally transmitted cases of Zika reported - only those from travelers. That means it might not even be circulating in the FL mosquitoes this summer, but it's also possible that they are. Looking at the map, I would imagine that the Atlantic coast of FL is at just as much risk for mosquito bites as the gulf coast FL.

And also because someone mentioned it. If you're worried about sexually transmitting Zika - use a condom! Hopefully, that would prevent the spread of it. And you're already pregnant, so it's not like it's going to prevent a desired pregnancy from happening.

And also this lovely article gave me some peace of mind!
  • Update:  Apparently open mouth insert foot....not 20 minutes later we get a special news bulletin across our TV that states that 5 people have tested positive for the Zika virus in NY including one in our county.   :(   Can I be the lady in the bubble for the next 8 months?
  • We spray our yard every year and it helps a lot. We found something that's pet friendly because we have a dog that licks/eats everything. Hopefully it's pregnant lady friendly as well. We've tried every plant imaginable without luck.

Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • rfrazier611rfrazier611 member
    edited January 2016
    @LakeR2014, are you in the OC, too?  I heard the case was in Goshen.  I am terrified!
  • miam4miam4 member
    edited January 2016
    I am in Miami and freaking out!

Update with the CDC website about it:
    https://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel like crying thinking about having to spend my summer either bathing in bug spray every time i walk outside or sweating my big pregnant ass off in long sleeves and pants.
    Anniversary       

• Pretty sure only cases in the US are from people who traveled to countries they warned against. I'm in TX and get bitten by mosquitos all the time, even as recent as October and November they were out and about. All I can do is try to stay calm and rational about it. Of course it scares me, but so do a lot of other things. :s
    Me: 37, DH: 34
    Married: 10/29/09
    DD born: 11/30/10

Pregnancy Ticker
  • seitzy3seitzy3 member
    edited January 2016
    My husband plays professional soccer and is heading to Columbia for preseason in two weeks. He will be there for 10 days. I'm not surprised they haven't cancelled the trip yet but there are more than a few pregnant wives the guys will be coming back to. Totally freaks me out! His team doctor even recommends not having sex for two weeks after he gets back. Wish they would just cancel the trip! Btw, we live in Texas. I'll be asking my OB about it when I go for my 11 week check up.

Edit to answer your question above. My husbands team doctor said he was informed that the threat is during the first few weeks of conception (around 3-6 weeks). But this is just what I have been told.

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • @LakeR2014, are you in the OC, too?  I heard the case was in Goshen.  I am terrified!
    @rfrazier611 no but I did hear that OC had a case too.   As @0SeaMonkey0 said, thankfully it appears after reading more that all cases were infected in Puerto Rico and only tested positive later here. 

Question:   Anyone know if the Zika virus is spread only when people show signs of it (IE in the first few days of incubation), or once anyone is infected can a mosquito use their blood to spread it (total infection period of 12-21 days)?  
  • @LakeR2014- without being an internet creeper, whereabouts (roughly) are you in NY? We are about an hour away from 'Cuse and I haven't heard any of this.

As PP said, the people who've tested positive most likely became infected by an Aedes mosquito elsewhere as it's difficult to contract human to human without sexual contact. I wouldn't "bubble yourself" up until the weather gets above 60 again.
  • I'm in central flordia and terrified.

We did buy a little bug free tent thing for when I have to be out in the back yard.

The county has always sprayed for mosquitos I'm sure that will be more frequent. There am has been talk about returning to using DDT.

I'm on the look out for really good bug spray and I will wear pants and long sleeves while outside. But ill probably be inside as it gets warmer.

We also are installing a spray system to spray three times a day.

• I am worried. I am supposed to attend a bachelorette party for my best friend in charleston, sc next month. Last time I was in charleston I got chewed up by Mosquitos. I am starting to think I may not go..
  • Also a girl I work with just came back from Mexico but I haven't heard of it being passed human to human yest
  • For what it is worth, I am going to be suspicious about all the reports that this is going to "spread" throughout the US. Other mosquito-borne diseases (i.e. dengue fever) have yet to spread to the continental US. I am in the south (and mosquitos love me) but not going to worry about this too much yet until there are a lot more cases ORIGINATING from the US (none have happened yet). I hate that the media and CDC are causing so much panic prematurely IMO. Now saying that, I will not be traveling to Brazil, Mexico or the Caribbean until I am no longer pregnant. 
    BFP #1  6/26/15, D&C 8/14/15
    BFP #2  12/22/15, EDD 9/1/16  :)
  • LakeR2014 said:
    @LakeR2014, are you in the OC, too?  I heard the case was in Goshen.  I am terrified!
    @rfrazier611 no but I did hear that OC had a case too.   As @0SeaMonkey0 said, thankfully it appears after reading more that all cases were infected in Puerto Rico and only tested positive later here. 

Question:   Anyone know if the Zika virus is spread only when people show signs of it (IE in the first few days of incubation), or once anyone is infected can a mosquito use their blood to spread it (total infection period of 12-21 days)?  
    It is only spread by mosquitos. The theory about it being sexually transmitted hasn't been proven as far as I've heard. But like any other STD, it could be spread even by someone not showing symptoms. But I think the real risk is mosquito bites at this point n
  • Oh goodness, I didn't realize that it was spreading to the US, specifically the south, as well. I have a work trip to Florida in early March and this makes me nervous as I'll still be in my first tri. Yikes! I'll have to ask my OB about this at my first appointment, but the bad thing is I don't know if I can get out of this trip even if they recommend it. Oy vey. 
  • I live on the gulf coast in Florida, and I'm a mosquito magnet,so I am definitely worried.

The reason we need to be concerned about cases in our area is that those people can infect our mosquitos if they are bitten once they're back in the states. Then those mosquitos can infect other people. So I don't imagine it will be long before it's here. 

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • Hi!!! I currently live in Brazil and people is concerned about the mosquitoes and Zika virus. Honestly I am panicked to leave my house and also want to live in a bubble for the next 7 months. Just wanted to update you regarding the Zika here (it is Summer), and what the government and specialized agencies recommend:
    1) use repellent with deet, it is safe for pregnant women
    2) clean any water containers, pools, etc the aedes reproduction occur mostly in clean water.  
    3) take care during the whole pregnancy and not only during the first trimester.
    4) be aware of any symptoms
    5) when possible, do not travel to any place where the virus has spread... Mosquitoes are able to travel up to 1km...
    Every day there are new things coming out and not much is confirmed..., I am constantly trying to be informed (BC I am too worried !  :( ) if I have any new information, for sure I will let you know! 

Be safe! 
  • @daniwashed you're welcome to come stay with me in the tundra aka upstate NY!! It's actually been a pretty mild winter here thanks to El Niño. But seriously, take care momma!
  • We usually go to FL once a year, this time would be in May, so questioning that. My friend is supposed to get married in southern TX in May also..haven't got an official invite, but nervous about that. 

As for our yard, we already planned to spray it, so I hope that helps keep them away. I'll probably use it as my excuse to stay indoors. 

• Our pediatrician always suggests we keep a bounce dryer sheet in our pocket during the summer to keep mosquitoes away. We even put one on our baby between diaper and onesie for picnics. If you have to go out that may help 
  • I'm in NC and I've been worried too. @prof=mom Dryer sheets are a great idea! Eucalyptus plants can be a deterrent in the yard. I am not excited about staying inside all summer, but mosquitos love me, and if it gets bad here, it'll be pretty scary.
  • Thank you for the info @daniwashed !!!! My thoughts are with you as I'm sure this is very scary for you! xoxo
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• DH has to go to Puerto Rico in a couple of weeks and they have declared a state of emergency.  We probably won't be having sex the rest of this pregnancy. 

Also, we are planning a trip to Florida in May.  I really don't want to cancel since it will be the kids first trip to Disney and we won't be going back soon after the baby is born.
    DD 5/23/11 - DS 11/20/12 - BFP 1/10/16; EDD 9/22/16
    BabyFetus Ticker

valentines day sexy justin bieber heart 2011