December 2015 Moms

Swaddle

What swaddles does everyone love? Right now I'm using swaddleme but they are getting to small! And my little has to be swaddled at night!! 

Re: Swaddle

• I use the halo swaddle and I like then. Pluses are they zip from the bottom so you can change diaper with out unswaddling
  • I've been using the A+A blankets. I like having some options with how I wrap them and not having to worry so much about size as well I like that they're multifunctional.
  • Loading the player...
  • The halo sleep sack is like a straight jacket - my girl loves it! We just had to buy the next size up because she outgrew the first one. Best $17 I ever spent! 
  • We use the 20+ baby blankets I got from my baby shower. We also have a halo sleep sack. 
  • Lurker from J16...I use the Halo swaddle and I love it. Like PP said it zips from the bottom so no need to un-swaddle to change a diaper. It has a large section to Velcro to so its really secure. My hospital gave us one as a gift and it was so great I purchased another
  • I use the woombie swaddles. It's great!!! Started using the blankets and swaddle me's but she would bust out of them and constantly wake herself up at night. I bought the woombie and she sleeps almost through the entire night. Only wakes up once. She's 7 weeks 
  • We used A+A muslin swaddle blankets. Leo busts out of those now so we use a halo sleep sack. 

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Woombie user here, too! I just ordered the Convertible Swaddle to start with one arm out. Looking forward to seeing how it goes with my easily startled DD.
  • Yeah, I just swaddle the child with a blanket. I guess I'm old school. 
  • Yeah, I just swaddle the child with a blanket. I guess I'm old school. 
    I'm the same. The hospital in delivered in uses the halo sleep sacks. I despised those things and found where they still had the flannel swaddling blankets to use instead.
  • @SBH041815 my hospital gave me a swaddle to I completely forgot!! I'm going to see if he fits in that!! 
  • breezypipbreezypip member
    edited February 2016
    The Ollie swaddle is the best thing ever. It's not cheap, but it's super easy and quick to get them in, and is the only Swaddle DD can't break out of and we've tried a bunch. You can also do diaper changes without unswaddling.

ETA: we used the Halo Swaddle and it would ride up for us, and DD always broke out somehow. The Ollie has a snugger fit and is stretchy so the can still move a bit. One of my best baby purchases.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD hates anything but a plain ole blanket with her arms out.
  • They do make the SwaddleMes in size large that goes up to 18 lbs. We just switched our little guy from the small to the large. He will be 2 months tomorrow and is 13 lbs. I still need to be able to totally I swaddle him to wake him up at night to make sure he eats enough.
  • Love SwaddleMe! We have the S/M size now and the size L left from DD. I am crap at swaddling with a plain blanket. We also have Halo Sleepsacks for when he gets bigger - the regular ones, not swaddler ones. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We use and love the SwaddleMe's. LO is still in a S now. We have up to L so we'll be using them until she starts rolling over. 

• Mine is in a small zipadee zip. His gas is so bad he needs to be able to move his arms and legs to help push it out. Every other swaddle I tried constricted him too much and he would wake up because he was fighting against it to push his gas out. 
  • I use the halo swaddle and I like then. Pluses are they zip from the bottom so you can change diaper with out unswaddling
    This. Love them! Sophie sleeps in one every night. I like that you can do arms out & arms in. We leave her arms out for the last feeding before bed, then I nurse her to sleep & carefully put her arms in & she's out for 4-8 hours. 
  • I use the SwaddleMe ones, and he loves them.  He still gets startled with his arms out, so we have only used the sleep sack a few times, during naps to try and transition him out of the SwaddleMe wraps.  I know he won't be able to use those forever, so we're trying to get him used to being more "free" if you will. 
  • @katielwells hope it works out for you! I was pleasantly surprised when they wrapped my LO up in the swaddle at the hospital and said it was ours to keep. It was a nice gift
  • So i guess i could be in the minority but i HATE zip swaddles. Olive needs to be swaddled in order to sleep but she knows damn well that the second that swaddle goes on, she's off to bed and she doesn't like that part much. 

The trick for us is to get her snoozing, then get her swaddled before she realizes what's going on. She'll wake up briefly but then drop right back off if we're fast. The zip swaddles are too much of an activity. I would have to get her into it right after bath and that might not go over well.

So we use the Aden & Anais muslin sheet swaddles and just wrap her. I have the thing folded and ready in her bassinet when it's time to put her down. I just lay her onto it, wrap it fast and voila, she's out. 

The other reason i love the muslin swaddles so much is due to something my pediatrician told me. Swaddles are not meant to keep baby warm. They're meant to kepe her secure. Jammies provide warmth. Muslin is the closest thing to nothing. So she wears either terry or breathable fleece jams with a short sleeved onesie under them. And then is wrapped in the muslin swaddle. She has started to break out of them though. It's possible her swaddle days are coming to an end :(
  • So i guess i could be in the minority but i HATE zip swaddles. Olive needs to be swaddled in order to sleep but she knows damn well that the second that swaddle goes on, she's off to bed and she doesn't like that part much. 

The trick for us is to get her snoozing, then get her swaddled before she realizes what's going on. She'll wake up briefly but then drop right back off if we're fast. The zip swaddles are too much of an activity. I would have to get her into it right after bath and that might not go over well.

So we use the Aden & Anais muslin sheet swaddles and just wrap her. I have the thing folded and ready in her bassinet when it's time to put her down. I just lay her onto it, wrap it fast and voila, she's out. 

The other reason i love the muslin swaddles so much is due to something my pediatrician told me. Swaddles are not meant to keep baby warm. They're meant to kepe her secure. Jammies provide warmth. Muslin is the closest thing to nothing. So she wears either terry or breathable fleece jams with a short sleeved onesie under them. And then is wrapped in the muslin swaddle. She has started to break out of them though. It's possible her swaddle days are coming to an end :(
    My child would burn up with that much clothing on! We have to use the lightest weight cotton jammies with a light cotton swaddle or he breaks out in a heat rash. And we keep our house around 65 degrees, so it isn't because our house is super warm.
  • I like the swaddleme I didn't know they came in other sizes. My little guy kicks around to much to use a blanket.. I know he won't be able to be swaddled for every and I have sleep sacks for when the time comes. His hands have to be secured because he still startles easily. Thank you guys for the suggestions! 
  • missaeromissaero member
    edited February 2016
    We use the Halo sleep sacks. Great flexibility on having arms in or out. They also come in different fabric weights. 
  • LaceyH13 said:
    So i guess i could be in the minority but i HATE zip swaddles. Olive needs to be swaddled in order to sleep but she knows damn well that the second that swaddle goes on, she's off to bed and she doesn't like that part much. 

My child would burn up with that much clothing on! We have to use the lightest weight cotton jammies with a light cotton swaddle or he breaks out in a heat rash. And we keep our house around 65 degrees, so it isn't because our house is super warm.
    Ok wait i want to talk about this a bit because I worry constantly that she's either too warm or too cold. 

We live in Michigan. It's really cold here. I'm from canada and i find it cold here. Our bedroom is quite window-y. We have windows covering two sides of our room (she sleeps on one of those sides) and a skylight. We also have a skylight in our ensuite bathroom. We had to bring a space heater in just to keep the room at 70. 

I USED to dress her in fleece, then a muslin swaddle. Then a blanket swaddle. She seemed to enjoy it but i realized she was severely hot in all those layers so i ditched the blanket swaddle and switched from fleece jammies to terry ones (Thin but not too thin) To me, that would be chilly. 

Maybe she's still too warm? I have no idea how to tell and the question worries me. Should i go down to a light jammie and see if she fusses from cold?
  •  we use the Aden and anais easy swaddle. It snaps so you don't have to have loud Velcro or even zippers. It's so easy and she can't bust out no matter how hard she tries. It is going to be my new mommy hack for prego people because we love it! And she does too. 
  • @groovylocks Have you tried swaddling arms out? It still works for DD without her busting out of it.

Some babies run warmer or cooler than others so how you dress her will depend on her. DS was always a furnace and had to be light cotton anything. DD has always run very cold until very recently so we'd keep her in more fleece and the muslin swaddle, now a cotton sleeper and the swaddle.

Just check her periodically around her core. Back of the neck tends to be an easy place when they're swaddled. If she feels hot and/or sweaty she's obviously too warm. I find it helps to think of touching someone who's been working out intensely versus someone who has been sitting and is a comfortable temperature  (a little warm). When DD is too cold I notice a purplish hue to her skin when I change her diaper (not so unusual with limbs but shouldn't be present on the trunk of the body). I hope that helps some.
  • I use the halo sleep sack right now but am thinking of transitioning DS to a zippadee zip once this stops fitting, which will be in the next month or so I'd guess.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • @esscapelle Those swaddles you mentioned are very interesting.  Do you know anybody who has used them and what they think of them?  I'm thinking DS may actually like those and might purchase a couple myself. 
  • Seriously- the temperature of my LO is my biggest concern every day.. I feel like I'm crazy because everyone else puts their babies in so many layers. He runs so dang hot!! I usually dress him in a short sleeve onsie and pants and socks during the day and at night a light cotton sleeper and light cotton swaddleme. Sometimes my mother in law makes comments like he is to cold and thinks he needs to be dressed like he's going to the snow everyday. Drives me up the wall. If I dress him in anything more he is sweaty and hot. Literally I don't even like putting him in a hoodie while he's in his car seat! Am I crazy here?!
  • Seriously- the temperature of my LO is my biggest concern every day.. I feel like I'm crazy because everyone else puts their babies in so many layers. He runs so dang hot!! I usually dress him in a short sleeve onsie and pants and socks during the day and at night a light cotton sleeper and light cotton swaddleme. Sometimes my mother in law makes comments like he is to cold and thinks he needs to be dressed like he's going to the snow everyday. Drives me up the wall. If I dress him in anything more he is sweaty and hot. Literally I don't even like putting him in a hoodie while he's in his car seat! Am I crazy here?!
    No. You know baby the best. Anything fleece, even if worn outside alone, will cause my child to overheat because it doesn't breathe as easily as cotton. The doctor said the way we do it is perfectly fine. No rash since we switched it up. I think you just get to know your child by trial and error.
  • I love our Halo swaddle. DS has been arms out swaddled since the first night in the hospital and the Halo swaddle was the only one we could find in newborn size that allowed arms free and DS loved it from the start. Now he's in the small size and we still use it almost every night. If the halo is in the wash or dirty then we just do a fairly loose swaddle with Aden and Anais blankets. 
  • @teachmegs817 no I don't know anyone that has used them, only from the reviews I've read online & on Facebook. I saw the business on SharkTank and have been following them ever since. I'm hoping that my DS will love it - the concept seems great.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • We use muslin blankets. I didn't want to splurge for A+A, though,  so I use the Swaddle Designs brand from Target. I have probably 6, and I use them for everything.  They're nice and big, too, so I think they're another great brand to consider for all of the muslin users :)
  • Just wanted to let everyone know all summer infant swaddles are 50% off on their website today. My DS just grew out of his small/medium swaddle me's and I just ordered a 3 pack of the large for $20 including shipping!
  • You can do arms out with the SwaddleMe, too. 

Jamie

• The first couple weeks I used the swaddle me and DS like them at first then grew to hate them. Then we went another couple weeks without swaddling and just put a blank over him in his RNP. Now the last couple weeks we've been putting him in a halo and he seems to really like them. I also like that we can transition him to arms out when he starts rolling. I just hope he sticks with these and doesn't start hating them. 
  • I try to swaddle with AA blankets but she always ends up with it by her face, she likes access to her hands :( advice?
  • @grkgdss00 you can use the halo sleep sack and leave arms out. I use the AA easy swaddle but her hands are in, which she doesn't always like but they wake her up so she has to have them tucked in.