Blended Families
Options

BAD mpact of New Baby on DH & Stepson...HELP!!!

My DH gets very upset when our baby cries bc it bothers / annoys my stepson. He has told me that the crying is a problem for him and an even bigger problem when my stepson is with us. When I say that babies cry and we all need to deal / adjust, he gets mad and says I'm dismissing his feelings. When my stepson is with us, my DH will bring the baby into the basement if he cries so that my stepson doesn't hear it / wake up from it. If the baby needs a diaper change in the night, my DH will bring the baby downstairs instead of his room so that, again, the crying doesn't disturb my stepson. I suffered some trauma to my back during delivery, so originally and even now sometimes, it is difficult for me to go up and down the stairs. At one point, my DH told me he didn't want me using the rocking chair in the baby's room when my stepson is with us. I told him it can be difficult to rock the baby without it considering the back pain I experience. The baby is 8 months old and still sleeping in my room, in a bassinet, BUT sometime soon he will need to be moved into his own room, which is right next to my stepsons room, so then what???? Here's an example of what I deal with: tonight I was putting a diaper on the baby and getting him ready to go upstairs to be nursed and go to sleep for the night. I had just finished taking his temperature prior to putting the diaper on, bc he's been sick with a temp of 103. DH asked if I wanted the thermometer and such upstairs. I said "only if you're ok with me taking his temperature up there in the middle of the night." I said this bc DH doesn't like when I bring the baby into his room in the night when my stepson is with us. DH picked up the thermometer and such and then went upstairs. When I came upstairs I noticed that DH put the thermometer on my dresser. I told DH that when I had said what I did, that meant I'd be taking his temperature in his room. DH almost instantly showed signs of anger...facial expression, tone, raised tone, cursing. He asked me "why the f would you ask me if you could do it in his room!?!" He told me how rude and selfish he thought I was being. I said that I didn't ask, but rather said that if he was ok with it, then yes the items could go upstairs. He continued to curse and raise his voice. I asked him repeatedly to stop, but he told me "no!" The baby was on my bed when this was going on. I told Dh that he was talking to me in a rude and cruel way and it was scaring me, so to please stop. He continued to talk in a raised tone and was cursing at me. He said something like "stop with the f'in you're scared bs!" He was in my face when he said that. I took a step back to gain a little space (couldn't move much more bc I was standing between my dresser and bed) and again told him that he was scaring me. He got in my face again and said something like "f that! We're done!" He then left the room.

HELP!!

Re: BAD mpact of New Baby on DH & Stepson...HELP!!!

• Options
    Um, this whole situation is incredibly scary. I'd seek out professional help immediately. This is not a good situation for those kids or you. Get help.
  • Options
    I agree with PP. even though he didn't hit you that qualifies as being violent. He is controlling and verbally abusive. Your son doesn't deserve and shouldn't be secluded from the family. Babies cry that's what happens. Everyone needs to adjust to it. If they can't they are the ones that need to fix themselves not the baby
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a nervous wreck all the time. I've considered divorce, but the thought of my DH alone w the baby terrifies me
  • Options
    You can get an order of protection that stipulates visits must be monitored and by whom if you feel unsafe. What you are experiencing is Domestic violence and honey it's dangerous. 
  • Options
    It's definitely dv, but I unfortunately don't think it's enough for me to get an order of protection. How did the man I love so much go from being so loving to so mean!?!
  • Options
    aln624 said:
    It's definitely dv, but I unfortunately don't think it's enough for me to get an order of protection. How did the man I love so much go from being so loving to so mean!?!
    I'ts very easy to get an order of protection. Especially when children are involved. I'm sure your county has a self help center, it won't hurt to try.
  • Options
    It's enough...trust me. You are strong and amazing and I believe in you. 
  • Options
    It's not enough for am order of protection IMO. However, it is enough to lead you to start making some plans and setting some boundaries. That is not healthy behavior, and you already know that. Now it's time for you to make a plan on how you want to address it. Discussion, counseling- for yourself or your relationship, a short break, divorce.... there are many options and is impossible for any of us to tell you what the right one for you is. However, I would urge you not to ignore it or just hope it will go away. Unfortunately, domestic violence festers and grows when ignored by one or both partners. I would encourage you to set some boundaries and preplan consequences for breaking or testing those boundaries. Good luck, and please check in! No judgments here, just support for what you decide is right for you and encouragement to choose your healthy, whatever that looks like! 
  • Options
    Trust me, as much as I wish I could wave a magic wand and have things be good, I KNOW things aren't going to improve just bc I need / want them to. At the same time though, I'm totally heartbroken. I very much love my DH and want to have a loving marriage and family, so I do find myself putting up with more than I should, hoping / waiting for a glimmer of something good. I've tried being open & honest about things....he gets mad and calls me names. I've tried bottling up my thoughts & feelings....he finds other things to get mad about (ex. we were having a party, so the dog pooh needed to be picked up in the yard. I did it, but he got mad that he needed to stay w the baby while I did it.) I have no idea what all of his triggers are, so I'm always on edge. 
  • Options
    aln624 said:
    Trust me, as much as I wish I could wave a magic wand and have things be good, I KNOW things aren't going to improve just bc I need / want them to. At the same time though, I'm totally heartbroken. I very much love my DH and want to have a loving marriage and family, so I do find myself putting up with more than I should, hoping / waiting for a glimmer of something good. I've tried being open & honest about things....he gets mad and calls me names. I've tried bottling up my thoughts & feelings....he finds other things to get mad about (ex. we were having a party, so the dog pooh needed to be picked up in the yard. I did it, but he got mad that he needed to stay w the baby while I did it.) I have no idea what all of his triggers are, so I'm always on edge. 

When your H goes to work, call a locksmith and have the locks changed. Pack up his things and leave them on the porch. Call a lawyer and the police to get an order of protection.

It will be a long fight, but it is worth it to protect your child.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aln624 said:

When your H goes to work, call a locksmith and have the locks changed. Pack up his things and leave them on the porch. Call a lawyer and the police to get an order of protection.

It will be a long fight, but it is worth it to protect your child.

ALL OF THIS.
  • Options
    cmlsucmlsu member
    edited February 2016
    I again disagree with previous advice. While his actions are threatening and absolutely domestic violence, changing the locks and rushing for an order of protection is not wise in this circumstance. She hasn't decided what she wants to do but is caught in the difficult limbo of whether to hold out hope or it's beyond hope.

I would encourage you to begin recording things so that you have evidence should it go that route. I'm not sure if where you live is a 1 party state, so I'm also going to encourage you to seek advice of a qualified domestic attorney in your area before acting on emotions. Even if you decide to stick out longer, at least you'll have knowledge on how to proceed best for you in both the short and long term. Emotional abuse, such as he is inflicting, is very difficult to prove without good evidence. Access to funds in the short term is important. Holding your head up through the process and not feeling like you rushed to any conclusions and seeking advice and counseling from qualified professionals will help you become confident in your decision, whatever that may be.

I'm so sorry that you're in this situation. The heart break is terrible, but sometimes the best option isn't realistic and you have to start looking at options B and C. Whatever you decide you need for your happiness, I hope you find the strength and support to get it.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but when it's a domestic violence situation there is no waiting around to see. It is an escalation and she's not even getting the honeymoon stage. I'm sorry @cmlsu but you are wrong about waiting. Waiting could cost her or her lo's life. I get we aren't there but I've worked with victims and this has red flags everywhere. 
  • Options
    mommav83 said:
    I'm sorry but when it's a domestic violence situation there is no waiting around to see. It is an escalation and she's not even getting the honeymoon stage. I'm sorry @cmlsu but you are wrong about waiting. Waiting could cost her or her lo's life. I get we aren't there but I've worked with victims and this has red flags everywhere. 
    Getting mad, calling names, being rude, and being scary is red flags. IMO, changing the locks is not going to fix the problem, but certainly has the potential to make it worse. Without evidence of the abuse, taking action like that and locking someone out of their house based on fear only supported by red flags is very difficult to justify in court.

In my previous posts I offered support in her situation, emphasized that it doesn't just get better and must be addressed, and said that she needs to make a plan to address it the best way possible with advice of professionals in her area. I am a family attorney, and I've litigated both sides of orders of protection and divorces for years. I've also been a victim of DV. I stand by every bit of my previous advice and support for her. 
  • Options
    I was in a similar situation with my child's father. He had anger issues and would blow up over every little thing. Once i became pregnant, he began to act as if i was his property and i had to do everything that he ordered me to do. The last straw was when I told him that he had to leave and he then attacked me and choked me while I was rocking our baby. I called the police and had him arrested. I moved on with my life and now i am in a loving marriage with a man who loves my child as his own and we also have a child tgether as well. So my advice is do not wait for him to change. You need to protect your child and yourself. Also once you make the decision to leave do not go back. Too many women and children have lost their lives to dv.
  • Options
    I'm not suggesting changing the locks as that can make that situation far more dangerous. But I do think waiting is always a bad idea. I waited and that didn't solve anything. What I will say is a tiger isn't going to change his stripes. If he is only getting worse it's time to pack your things and go. Yes you should consult an attorney about your rights, the local women's shelter should be able to help you there. You can consider an order of protection if you feel like unsafe. Plan your escape route if things get dicey before you hit your plan to go date. Look sweetie we all want it to work out and them to change but remember it's rare and it's hard work to get there. It's possible he could change but let him decide that without you there as his verbal punching bag. You take care of you and that little one.