Pre-School and Daycare

What does your kid do at preschool?

Just wondering what other preschool programs are like.  DD age 3 started preschool in September.  She goes 3 full days a week.  I feel like she's not really doing much besides playing with toys.  For example, they did playdoh once the first week she started and have never done it again.  They never do things like play with sand table or any tactile things like that.  Arts and crafts they were doing quite a bit in the beginning of the school year but now it's been awhile since they brought home an art project.  They have never once used scissors with the kids which I think is odd. 

I can log in and watch her and I do see them doing circle time, story time, snack time, outside play, free play in the classroom.  They do letters and numbers and practicing tracing letters and numbers.  She comes home with a worksheet at least once a week.

I know they need lots of playtime at this age but I guess it just bothers me that they don't do more creative activities with them.  Otherwise I am happy but many other preschools I toured said they do art everyday, cooking, playdoh etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What does your kid do at preschool?

• My son is 3.5 and just moved up to pre-k so his curriculum has changed a bit BUT I am very pleased with the activities at the school he goes to. I liked what I saw when I did the tour and that helped me make the decision to put him here rather than just a play centered daycare type place.

In his preschool class they focus on certain subjects or areas for about 3 weeks at a time then move on to something else. Some things they've learned about are transportation, nature and seasons, buildings/architecture and then friendship/feelings. Besides these items, they practice letters, drawing, writing, etc. They also take nature walks, have outside play and then learn basics about socialization and sharing through the use of "stations" in the classroom.

The things he now does in pre-k are more advanced than what he did in the preschool class but I would get a daily sheet telling me what my specific child did and what he enjoyed or excelled at. In his pre-k class I get a daily sheet and a weekly sheet letting me know what they would be doing and working on each day.

If you are concerned about what she is learning or doing can you talk to the director?

• I know this is an older post but I have one child in his second year of preschool and my other child will start this fall.  Our school does 3 year old and 4 year old; this is not through a daycare center.  Both are similar but the 4 year old class is more advanced. My son is in the 4 year old class right now.  Last year he had 13 in his class, this year 23.  Even with a teachers assistant, I have no idea how his amazing teacher gets everything done each day!  :smile:  

3 year old class:  half day 830-1130am two days a week.
    - Free play during arrival time
    - Circle time (calendar, weather, songs, etc)
    - Looking at letters and numbers
    - Weekly theme time (story, learning activity that go with)
    - Snack time
    - Center time (kids can choose each are themed - art, science, math, etc)
    - Recess

4 year old class: full day 830-330pm three days a week.
    - Free play during arrival time
    - Circle time (calendar, weather, songs, etc)
    - Letters and numbers (brings home worksheets each day)
    - Weekly theme time (story, learning activity that go with)
    - Snack time
    - Center time (kids can choose each are themed - art, science, math, etc)
    - Recess
    - Lunch
    - Rest/Quiet time
    - Center time
    - Snack
    - Recess

• Loading the player...
  • Teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching them what counts is best. 
  • This is what your kids will learn in pre school.

My kid learned all of these

1) Social skills: manners, sharing, proper communication like how to express emotions, following instructions.

2) Education: problem-solving, Alphabet, Counting, How to Write their names, how to color, learn shapes- colors-numbers.

3) Physical- work on motor skills- like skipping, climbing, jumping, hoping.

4) Seriously- those skills are very important and necessary for proper development.

• Your children are so good and have wonderful parents who care so much about the development of their children!