December 2015 Moms

Anybody still dealing with cravings/aversions

Is this a breastfeeding thing? I'm confused. 

I still can't go near meat. I used to be this hardcore carnivore and now I'm one order of fish and chips away from being a total raw food vegan. I know you can be perfectly healthy eating only fish. Still.. weird right? Other than Chinese food, I can't deal with cooked vegetables at all. I'm still craving parsley and the smell of the garage. I assumed cravings went away after you gave birth. Does your appetite change for good?

It's like that scene in the movie 1408 when Enslin escapes the haunted hotel and starts writing a book about it, only to find out he's still trapped in room 1408.

Re: Anybody still dealing with cravings/aversions

• The thing they don't tell you is how long it takes your hormones to return to normal after having the baby. It isn't just an immediate change and a lot of the pregnancy stuff hangs around during that time.

I'm still craving milk and sweets and have some things really churn my stomach. Then add in the BF hunger and it can feel a lot like deja vu. Oh and those organs shifting back to their previous position making it feel like baby is still in their moving?
  • I just told my mom about this yesterday. I still can't stand the thought of cooked spinach and I used to love it! She told me that she had an aversion to scrambled eggs after birth. 
    @Mizuiro007 I thought I was losing it when I felt something moving. Never thought about the misplaced organs going back to their homes! Is that what happened? I kind of thought it might be something like phantom limb syndrome.
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel ya. I've always had an aversion to milk (not technically lactose intolerant but similar) ... During my pregnancy I was drinking glasses of it. I still put more milk in my cereal than I used to. 

Also allergies. Anyone develop food allergies they didn't have? Suddenly I'm allergic to oatmeal .... It scared me when I suddenly reacted. I've never had food allergies in the past. 

I don't think it's BF related. I FF.  
  • I'm craving a ton of fish, as I did when I wasn't pregnant but I couldn't eat it! And as for the movements, I feel twitches and bubbles there too and it's the weirdest thing ever! 
  • This makes me feel better! Low calorie foods like many raw veggies seem like to much work (cooked is fine) I think I'm craving higher calorie foods since BFing takes so much energy and so the low energy foods seem like wasted effort. I'm also starting to wonder how many calories I'm burning by BFing, I know the rule of thumb is 500 calories per day but surely how big your child is and how fast they're growing should make a difference in what you're burning.
  • Still can't eat grilled/baked chicken (for some reason fried is just fiiiiine). This is a big problem because I only know how to cook, like, 5 healthy meals and 4 of them are chicken. 

I I still could eat sweets/sugar by the pound. 

Also, am I the only one with no appetite while breastfeeding? Besides the sugar (see above) and an insane thirst all the time, I'm not very hungry.  Maybe it's the sleep deprivation. 
  • I'm not craving anything specific,  but it sounds like we're in the same boat in that we crave fresher foods. I want ice water,  fruit,  and veggies. And oreos, but that's another thing. 

I just thought it was my body asking for nutrient-rich foods. 

I have been eating some vegan recipes since I'm not doing dairy, and eating anything artificial (like vegan cheese) makes me feel terrible.
  • @Alyssaerin996 I don't have an appetite either.. I eat because I know I have to not because I'm hungry. 

I stll crave rootbeer like I did while pregnant. 
  • My true cravings and aversions have always happened while I was breastfeeding, not while I was pregnant.  Kid#1 I started eating/craving Indian food by the pound - this was after 29 years straight where the smell of Indian food would literally have me gagging.  Kid#2 I needed startches- I ate an obscene amount of baked potatoes and rice.  This time around I cannot get enough carbs.  I just want to live in a French bakery.  And I can't handle cinnamon.  
  • I was eating non stop yesterday, so this makes sense, glad the subject was brought up. 
  • I want to eat anything and everything... And I'm FF!!! I think my body is making up for my lack of appetite and small stomach at the end of my pregnancy. Next week though... Back on the diet wagon 
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited February 2016
    The only cravings I really had were peanut butter and seafood (not together). 
    I still eat peanut butter daily sometimes on its own and have really been feeling the urge to leave Henry with Grandma so we can hit up Joe's Crab Shack.
  • Gingermom15 I have to say seafood was the only craving I really had this last pregnancy and it's still pretty strong.  I'm wondering if It has to do with needing the iodine ... 
  • Bombmom3 said:
    Gingermom15 I have to say seafood was the only craving I really had this last pregnancy and it's still pretty strong.  I'm wondering if It has to do with needing the iodine ... 
    That's probably very possible. I'm happy to indulge then for the sake of my health ;)