October 2016 Moms

Cravings & Fighting Them

I'm just 5 weeks today and the carvings are already starting. I so do not want to gain 62lbs again like I did with DS. But I seriously have a really hard time fighting them. 

Anyone have any tips from their previous pregnancy? Or any plans of action for this one?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cravings & Fighting Them

• Small amounts of whatever the craving is. Usually that's enough to stop the torture without going too far. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I totally agree with @PrimRoseMama!   I haven't experienced cravings yet, but some days I just get hungry really easily.  I feel like with the bloat and the hunger on some days I've been waking up to a different weight every morning.  Some days I'm back to my pre-BFP weight and some days I'm up two pounds.  Yesterday was definitely a hungry day, but I think I overdid it because I was just eating whatever amount I had in front of me and not listening to my hunger signals.  So if I'm hungry or craving something I'm going to eat it, but I'm just working on not eating more than my body needs.  
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm really craving avocados. With soy sauce. I'm not even trying to fight it. Yummmmm!

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Popcorn! It's the ONLY thing that sounds good. 
  • Small amounts of whatever the craving is. Usually that's enough to stop the torture without going too far. 
    I wish that worked for me :(

@von1976 I wouldn't fight that either! I love me some healthy fats.

I'm talking like blizzard cravings or sonic cream slushies. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @artcheese maybe allow yourself to only have one a week? Or something like that. So you know you can still get it but you don't go overboard. I have a huge love of blizzards.
  • @artcheese Oh, well... I can't help there. I haven't really had those. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, normally. I just don't want it right now is the problem. I just forced two cookies into my pie hole (and they tasted horrible--normally I love this kind) because I need to go take a nap and I know I'll wake up ravenous if I didn't eat something. I need to go drink some water to get this horrendous taste out of my mouth.

I did, however, eat half an avocado and soy sauce this morning, and we're having field greens with salmon and avocado with lemon tarragon dressing for dinner tonight, and I may take the other half of avocado to work with me for a snack. Stocking up on my Omega-whatevers, I guess! Hmm, walnuts sound good, too....

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• My plan is to allow myself one small helping a day of whatever it is that I might want but isn't healthy. I eat a good protein heavy breakfast,  some fruit for a morning snack, protein and veggies at lunch, more fruit/cheese/or protein snack, and then for dinner I eat whatever my family is having.  I also try to guzzle water all day and that usually helps keep from getting an empty stomach. It's definitely not helping with my bloating at all though.  

For me, if I restrict myself too much I end up over indulging later anyway,  so I go ahead and have it while I still have the self control to limit my intake.

Me(29)DH(30)
    Baby #3 EDD 10/6/2016
    DS 11/2009
    DD 1/2008
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I already have a bit of morning sickness so I'm not fighting cravings at this point. I'm craving carbs and greasy foods for some reason so this could get dangerous. Lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yeah it's all fun and games the first pregnancy, huh @artcheese ;)  I gained 52 with my first and am determined to do it differently this time around.  I think with my first I threw caution to the wind and figured I'd just lose it after.  Well, come to find out that's a giant pain in the ass.  So I'm trying to find healthier alternatives.  I discovered Halo Top ice cream, a higher protein lower sugar alternative.  I'll have 1/4 a c of it topped with 1 Tbsp of sprinkles and 2 tsp mini m&ms.  It helps me not feel deprived.  Is it as satisfying as a big ol DQ blizzard?  Nope.  But I've got my eye on the prize.  Thinking about how hard it was to lose the weight is a pretty big motivator so far.  Other than that I really just don't keep crap in the house.  It's easier to not binge on healthy food.

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @sidecarsareforbishes totally! I'll have to look into that ice cream. Thank you! We already can't keep sweets in the house, because then DH and I both binge eat it, Oreos will be the death of me I swear.

But then I go and get a blizzard. I probably had two blizzards and two sonic slushies a week while pregnant with my first (after first tri that is). It got so bad I was hiding gummy worms in my night stand. When ever DH would find my stash he'd take it from me.

I already have an issue with limiting my sweets intake as it is, then when all those hormones kick in, it's like 20 times worse.

I just remember how horrible I felt after giving birth and it took about 4 months pp till my rings fit back on. Mentally I don't think I can go through it all again.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have had cravings for ice cream mixed with popcorn...something along the lines of Coldstone's birthday cake remix combined with cheddar or just butter popcorn. When I think about it logically it is disturbing, so I am just holding out but I'm sure at some point will override logic :blush: 
  • Ack. I have a huge sweet tooth and sour candy is even better! @artcheese I had to get more creative  with where I hid my candy Contraband, my husband was also taking any candy he found! With my first 2 pregnancies  I  gained 50 lbs and I don't know how I'd have the time with 3 kids to loose it, so I  hoping to not go back there.