October 2016 Moms
Options

S/O: Telling Family and Friends

I know we shared how we told our partners about our BFP but how about friends and family.

I told my best friend today. She is the only person I've told (other than y'all) so far. I texted her and told her to call me when she could. When she called I was just like, "I'm pregnant!" And she said, "Oh I knew it!" I'm not good and don't really do cutesy stuff so that's perfect for us.

We are telling MIL tonight. I think I'm going to bring her my half-empty bottle of wine (that I can't finish) and give it to her and just tell her I can't finish it and it would have gone bad by the time I could. I don't know, we'll see.

Have you told anyone? How are you telling people?
DH: 29 | Me: 29 
Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
DD: 10/5/16
TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
DS: 1/9/19
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: S/O: Telling Family and Friends

• Options
    We told our parents and siblings immediately over the phone/facetime because we were struggling with infertility and they knew about our testing, etc. Anyhoo, we're going to tell the rest of the family after our 8 week U/S. For my family, we're all getting together for my uncle's birthday so when we all sit down to eat we're going to have my grandparents open a present with 2 bibs ("I love my great grandma" and "I love my great grandpa"). We also got my uncle a mug that says "Great Uncle Est. 2016" seeing how it will be his birthday. Not sure how we'll tell DH's side yet, might just blurt it out to his grandma and then everyone will know in minutes  :p
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm totally opposite. I enjoy the secret more than the announcement. Plus, I have PGAL brain so 12 - 14 weeks to tell even the family. We usually just call our parents and my MIL will have the news to every tom, dick and Harry on the family tree in 4 seconds tops. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've only told a few friends and family. One was having a really bad week so I texted her, "Want a bit of good news?" then told her and I think that perked her up. Our last pregnancy, which we lost, she read all of "What to expect when you're expecting" and downloaded the app so that SHE would be in the know FOR me lol. My other friend is going through a divorce so I was unsure about how to tell her without feeling like "oh look at me my life is great", but we're all getting together for a bday this weekend so I just texted her and told her saying I didn't want to tell her at the bday and make the party about me. She is REALLY excited too. I mean, everyone is really excited!

The other night I went to dinner with a friend and before we left the house she was kind of coughing and I said, "You better not get me sick..." and held up a bag from buy buy baby. That wasn't planned, but it was fun lol. We air hugged lol! 

Since we recently had a loss, it feels weird to have a big to-do with the announcement, but I think we're going to do a gender reveal at our shower to build that anticipation.
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    I told my sister as soon as the test showed positive. Followed by FI. Close friends and family next. Now everyone who needs to know right now knows. We had planned to keep it our little secret, but excitement ruined that plan. Luckily, those we thought would flip their noodles, we're surprisingly overjoyed as well. 
  • Options
    We haven't told anyone yet.  If all goes well at the first appointment, we'll tell our parents that weekend 9 weeks). My in laws are coming over to our house for a birthday dinner for my FIL, so we're planning on wrapping up a grandpa mug as a gift.   Then we'll skype my parents and tell them.  I'm really worried because I love my mom to death but she is super extroverted and tells everyone everything.  I know she'll have good intentions but I don't trust her to keep it to herself until the second trimester.  But I would feel bad not telling my parents at the same time as my in laws.
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    Got a positive test this morning so have not put too much thought into it.....   Will prob tell my mom after I retest tomorrow. Will have to keep the secret from my 4yo though because she is a blabber mouth. 

F and I are getting married the end of March. I should have an appointment by then so we may just tell everyone at the wedding. 
  • Options
    I hopefully will know by Valentines Day if my betas are doing the right thing - so when we FaceTime family for Valentines (for my kids...we don't share Valentines Day with my inlaws lol), we will read them a valentines poem that ends with us turning into a family of five :) 

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Options
    von1976von1976 member
    edited February 2016
    We are telling my best friend tomorrow. She's making us brunch, and we're bringing stuff for mimosas--though mine will have sparkling water, natch. Trying to decide how to tell her. We've been trying for so long and I've bitten the head off of anyone who has asked about the status of my uterus, so people have long since stopped asking. I don't think anyone is expecting it! (I know we weren't!)

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
     A handful of close friends and family know already, but we aren't going public (FB etc.) until 12 weeks.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I've told several people. I don't think miscarriage should be taboo or secretive ( unless, of course, the mother wants it to be), and I feel comfortable talking about it if something should happen. I've been pretty vocal about my previous m/c and I want people to know they're not alone.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    edited February 2016
    I have only told my H and my BFF.  While I totally agree with @sparklegrump (I am all about ending MC isolationism)
    This pregnancy was unexpected (a magical surprise!) so soon after our recent MC drama and double d&c that I'm not ready for a whole bunch of attention yet at all.  Everyone was SO supportive and great (except 1, but there's almost always 1 ;)  ) that I just can't bring myself to calling down a gaggle of mother hens on myself yet.  I want to feel "safe".  Current hormonal, crazy, in beta-hell me would like to wait until July to tell anyone else.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I just called everyone, I have such a problem keeping secrets! I still have two friends left to tell but I'm not sure how they're going to take it so I haven't said anything yet. 
  • Options
    I'm just telling people as I hangout with them. I'm horrible at keeping secrets and everyone knows we were trying and that I had a miscarriage. We will probably go public on FB around 12 weeks after the NT scan comes back okay.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think this week I'm going to text my three best friends a picture of a big brother shirt and say, "Look what I just bought for (insert sons name here)!" Everyone else will wait til 12+ weeks. 

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Options
    My closest friends know already our parents do not know.  Plan to tell them with Valentines next weekend asking if they will be baby's Nana /Grandma.  We will announce on FB after our first Appointment 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We told H's family last weekend. My MIL just passed her GED so we gave her a small gift congratulating her on passing it. She opened it up and it was a onsie that said "Grandma is the best". She was shocked and extremely excited. We're actually on our way to tell my family this weekend. It's my mom's first grandchild so I wanted to surprise her with a grandma frame. Everyone else will find out at 12 weeks.
  • Options
    We haven't told anyone yet. If everything goes well at our appointment on 2/22 we will be telling family, but waiting until after 1st tri to tell everyone else..
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016

• Options
    Hi everyone!! Excited to meet you all:) 

We haven't told family yet.. had a loss in a may 2015 so just want to give it more time.. planning to share the happy news after appt on 2/25.. woohoo!
  • Options
    We are currently in hot and heavy debate over it... I wanted to tell family at 12 weeks, FB official at 15 wks when we get the gender u/s, he makes the point that family will tell everyone else, so maybe we should just wait for everything until 15 weeks. But that seems like it will be torture!!! 
    Mommy of 3 little ones, 6 losses Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We are currently in hot and heavy debate over it... I wanted to tell family at 12 weeks, FB official at 15 wks when we get the gender u/s, he makes the point that family will tell everyone else, so maybe we should just wait for everything until 15 weeks. But that seems like it will be torture!!! 
    Just tell your family not to tell! It shouldn't be that hard for them to respect your wishes. 

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Options
    We're planning to tell family around Easter when I'm around 12 weeks along.  I found some really cute Easter announcement ideas.  

However, this is if my son doesn't tell them before when we Skype with them (since we're a number of hours away from our folks).  When we found out we told our son that he'll be a big brother and now he'll walk up to me and say "Hi Baby" and kiss my tummy, so it'd be super cute for them to find out that way otherwise.   
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm waiting until after my first appointment to tell my parents and in-laws. It's pretty soon--just two weeks away. Since I had a miscarriage previously, they wanted me in as soon as possible. I'll probably tell my best friend before then, though! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We were supposed to wait until 8 weeks to tell family and close friends, and we agreed to tell my best friend at 6 weeks because I need someone to talk to if it all goes wrong. So does hubby, I know--but he opted not to. 

Except I found out today that almost everyone my hubby works with and a few of his friends already know. The problem is he's a terrible liar. All they had to do is ask him "how the baby making is going" (God, I hate that term), and they knew straight away.  

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    I'm terrible at keeping secrets! They just drive me to distraction. I've told my sister and my mother and that's it. I think I had to get some of the secret tell get out of the way. 
    Hat being said, my MIL  is a blabber mouth supreme I will probably wait to tell her until I'm closer to 11 weeks along as long as she doesn't  guess.