February 2016 Moms
Options

Kidney stones (long story, sorry)

So, I went to triage for severe pain in my left pelvic area a week and a half ago. It was sharp and stabbing. I was nearly in tears and begged for some pain relief. The midwife did some tests and decided my pain was round ligament pain. I knew she was wrong because this is my 3rd kid and I know what round ligament pain feels like. She said I may have strained that muscle and that's why it hurt so bad. So, they gave me Tylenol and sent me home. I accepted their diagnosis and treated it like a pulled muscle. 

Well, I spent the following week and a half in misery thinking labor must be starting because I had horrible back pain and that sharp stabbing pain in my side. Then a couple of days ago I had some pain while peeing. I assumed it wasn't anything serious but planned to make a doc appointment anyway. They couldn't get me in for a few days so I took the appointment and went about my days. Then, yesterday I (very painfully) passed a kidney stone.

I took the evidence and went to Triage to get checked and find out how this affects my pregnancy. I got the same midwife who had diagnosed my 'round ligament pain' and she felt awful that she didn't catch that it was actually a kidney stone. I don't blame her cuz there was no evidence of that at the time. Anyway, so they checked me out and decided that I only passed part of the stone.

So, my current situation is that I'm 36+5 weeks and in agony trying to deal with this stone situation. I was prescribed narcotics for the pain but told to use them sparingly because they could affect the baby. This, of course freaked me out and now I don't wanna take them at all. Especially since he could come anytime now and be all drugged up because of me. 

I'm miserable and in pain all over. I have signs and symptoms of labor being a possibility soon (lost plug, dilation/effacement, etc.) but have no idea what pain is pre-labor vs. kidney stone. Everything just hurts/aches.  So, I'm just waiting... For stones to pass or contractions to start. 

Anyone else experience this? I just wanna know if anyone else had stones wile pregnant.

Re: Kidney stones (long story, sorry)

• Options
    Ugh! I had a 3mm stone when I was 34 weeks pregnant (currently 37 weeks). It was awful. The pain caused me to have contractions and severe vomiting. I went to L&D thinking I was in labor and they said nope! Kidney stone! I was so upset. They prescribed me Norco and told to take it sparingly. I was so freaked out to take it I only took Tylenol. Long story short, the pain got so bad I ended up back in the hospital with contractions and vomiting blood. It took a week to pass the stone. Not fun at all but baby is okay and healthy! Thank god!
  • Options
    I had a kidney stone with DS. But I had no idea I had it until he was 3 weeks old and it landed me in the ER. It was a 10mm. I'm almost positive I have another one this time (39 weeks) but hasn't given me enough trouble to do anything about it yet. When I start to feel it I drink a ton of water and try to sit for a while. That usually helps. Have you looked into natural ways to dissolve them? Might be worth asking or googling. I'm not a lot of help to you, sorry. :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh that sounds horrible. I had a 10mm stone 2 years ago (not pregnant) with rounded edges (like a seed) and it was absolutely excruciating. This one I passed a couple days ago was 2mm and was sharp/jagged edges and hurt almost as bad. I dunno if that's cuz I'm pregnant or cuz it was shaped different but ow. 

I keep having contractions and back pain and whatnot and I'm desperately hopeful that it's labor but I know realistically it's probably the other part(s) of the stone. This sucks. 

Doesnt pregnancy suck enough? Why must we endure kidney stones too?! Not fair!
  • Options
    I don't remember what shape mine was. But I had it blasted, which didn't work so then they had to go in and remove it. It was the worst experience ever. I know they say they can be caused by pregnancy. Sounds like we are proving that to be true.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    God, I just wanted to say that I am so sorry! That sounds absolutely terrible. Hoping for you that the pain subsides soon. I'm dealing with a pulled muscle and it really blows, so I understand how much it sucks to have stabbing pain all the time. Poor dear, almost done!!