February 2016 Moms
Options

Padsicles

Hi Ladies,

So, I've heard amazing things about homemade padsicles using witch hazel and aloe gel. I have some lavender essential oil to add to them too. I realized (as I'm just about to make them) that I didn't buy 100% Witch Hazel. Instead it's 86% WH 14% alcohol. For those of you who have made these, has anyone used WH with alcohol and did you find that it stung, etc? Thought I'd ask before I make a whole batch! 

Re: Padsicles

• Options
    I have never made/used these before, so I have no experience, but everything I can find online says to use 100%. After the many things I have read about how it burns down there after birth, I would guess alcohol would sting quite a bit!
  • Options
    Even the most natural WH I could find seemed to have some amount of alcohol. I looked at a few places then just went with it. I put jojoba oil in instead of lavender b/c I found it first. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How do you go about making these? Is it you typical pad just soaked and frozen?
  • Options
    Just a suggestion - don't make a ton in advance in case you don't like something about them/they sting. Also, I've had 2nd/3rd degree tears with my births and never wanted/felt like I needed these after leaving the hospital. But I guess they aren't terribly expensive to make if you don't end up using them all:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I used witch hazel with 14% alcohol and I didn't feel any sting. Not that I can remember at least. I actually just made some padsicles the other day!
  • Options
    I needed 1 stitch and only found relief from them the first night. The nurse said to me the next day that they don't recommend them past 24 hours because it can hinder everything going back to the right size down there.
  • Options
    TMI warning but maybe helpful?? I had nasty diarrhea and my buns hurt like crazy from the acidic runs a few days ago. I thought I'd try some which hazel on a cotton ball bc I'd heard it was so good for postpartum bottom pain. YEEOWCH the stinging drove me up the wall. I read my bottle and it does contain alcohol. Won't be letting that near my perineal zone again!
  • Options
    No expierence with this but maybe the aloe vera gel will help the alcohol not affect you.

DS (2.29.16) via Homebirth

~ Proverbs 22:6 ~

• Options
    I dont have any experience making these but like @MississippiCatfish I wouldn't make too many. I had a tear and stitches with my 1st and after the first day the nurses said to try to limit how many of those you use to help with proper healing. I only remember using them at the hospital, none at home. The nurses even gave me some to take home that are still stuffed away in the closet.
  • Options
    No help but my doctor advised me to use ice so at the hospital they made makeshift ones using ice wrapped in a diaper. It seemed pretty ingenious to me so I'll be doing the same at home!
  • Options
    My fiance works for a medical supply company so he'll be getting me some perineal ice pads. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Thayer's witch hazel is alcohol free. I haven't made any up yet but plan to. I just have the regular 15% alcohol witch hazel because I couldn't find Thayer's at first and then was too tight to buy another bottle. I figure I'll send husband it to buy some if it sings.
  • Options
    I already made mine and didn't realize until just now my witch hazel has alcohol in it - oh well, i'll still try them
  • Options
    This is straight up TMI, but... I was discharged yesterday with a first degree tear and a few lacerations that they added a stitch to close up (I'm surprised that's all I ended up with, honestly). I used the ice packs in the hospital for the first 18 hours after birth. They felt great right when I added them to the mesh undies but once I got back into bed, it just felt like to much stuff down there and was hard to get and stay comfortable. The hospital gave me witch hazel pads to just place on top of the pad. I've been using the "subway sandwich artist" technique and placing 3 or 4 over the length of the pad just for a quick shot of comfort. They dry up pretty quick, so it just helps with the initial burn after using the restroom and then allows the healing to occur. The swelling of the lady bits went down much faster after stopping the ice pads and keeping regular on the ibuprofen. Don't forget to take the stool softener even if you don't think you'll need it-you want any extra help to avoid discomfort. I also found out last night, sneezing hurts so add some pressure down below if you can before you sneeze or cough. 
  • Options
    I found Humphrey's alcohol free witch hazel on Amazon (the one that's listed as facial toner.) I actually made a pack of 20 of these and have almost no use for them with a small second degree tear, but I'm glad I spent the half hour and under $20 it cost me just in case! 
  • Options
    My fiance brought me home a case of perineal ice packs. There's 24 in a case. I doubt I'll use them all, but I'm so glad to have them at my disposal.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker