April 2015 Moms

Consonants

Hi everyone!
I have lurked on this website since I was pregnant, but have never posted. However, desperate times call for desperate measures.

I have a beautiful 9 month old son who loves to point, clap, give kisses, etc but for the life of me I can't get him to make an consonant sounds. Lots of vowels, lots of raspberries, some Hiiyaaaaas but no ma ba da.

Ped says he is not in the least worried because he is so social and communicates well with gestures. Does anyone have a strategies or advice to help promote more talking? Thanks in advance! 

Re: Consonants

• There are great tips here:
    https://www.speechdelay.com/forum/yaf_postst1922_9-month-boy-not-babbling-consonants-yet.aspx#post7553

For the record, don't worry too much. I was JUST in your shoes and then my baby just started bababa and mamama. It surprised us. It happened just as we were just starting to worry. Now she is babbling consonants but she is not pointing, clapping, giving kisses like your baby! 

Talk A LOT around him. Describe what you're doing as you do it. Sing to him, finger rhymes, read lots of books. Respond to him when he speaks as though he is saying something "Oh really? Yes, the ball did roll away didn't it? Should we go get it?" Label things. "You're holding the blue monkey! Uh oh, the monkey fell down. Let's pick it up.....look out the window and tell him what you see. 

When my daughter started the bababas it was when her ball was rolling away and she wanted it and as she stared at it she started opening and closing her mouth like a fish (she was mouthing bababa with no sound) it was hilarious! Then very soon after it was a real bababa and mamama started when she was sad that I left her in her highchair to go get her bath ready she was saying a very sad story- it sounded so funny- and then one of the sounds that came out was a mamama. 

And don't worry too much. He could be slow to talk but that doesn't mean that he has a delay that will be ongoing! 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson