High-Risk Pregnancy

Cerclage Removal Story at 36.5 Weeks

AnaelseaAnaelsea member
edited January 2016 in High-Risk Pregnancy
Hello! Just thought I would share, had the cerclage placed at 19 weeks, cervix was about 1.5 centimeters, fluctuated between 1.5 and 2 cm since September. 112 days of bedrest at home, free at 34 weeks to walk around. Went into clinic for scheduled removal, no pain meds, speculum was pretty painful, cerclage was embedded so it took a lot of finagling to get it out. It was really painful, I tried to breathe slowly, because if you don't hold still it takes even longer. Doc couldn't even see all of it, so took some time, sent people in and out of the room for different instruments, a second doctor for a second opinion on whether or not he had removed it all, if there was a 'marker' or not, and if there was a 'band' or not. They decided there was not a marker or a band after sending someone to read the notes from the placement back in september. Obviously, not the same doc that put in the stitch. And obviously did not read the report before going in.
All in all, I wish they had given me something for the pain, definitely more intensive than I thought it would be, then monitored for an hour for contractions, then two days of sudden stabbing pains in that area, some spotting but not alot of bleeding. I did some research and apparently scar tissue will actually keep your cervix shut/prevent it from dilating. Not everyone's is embedded so don't worry you may not have a painful experience! I don't see doc again until Thursday(4 days from now), hopefully baby comes out before that. Currently having stabbing pains in that area that are random, don't correspond to movement on my part.
Passed the mucus plug over the next few days, now just waiting for real labor to begin, but as I had a Makena shot the day before they removed it, I assume that is keeping baby in there. Also, while perusing cerclage scar tissue articles online, found out if they go in and break up the scar tissue by massaging your cervix it can promote dilation, but its also painful. Things I wish I had been told about living with a cerclage: don't get constipated and don't get randy. Crossing my fingers that baby makes it out OK, hoping she comes soon. 

Re: Cerclage Removal Story at 36.5 Weeks