May 2015 Moms
Options

Cry it out.. Please don't!

I have an 8 months old baby. He is incredible, but not so good with sleeping he may wake up 4-5 times at night to be fed. When he was 4 months old I sleep trained him but I just could not Continue on doing it. This crying thing really hurts my baby. I though to myself it's his only way to communicate with me and I am preventing that because of some sleep I am missing. I have been sleeping my whole life, and he is worth so much more than sleep. I passed by this article taking about how the cry it out method is totally wrong for our babies ( https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/fussy-baby/letting-baby-cry-it-out-yes-no ) . We love them, we should listen! It starts now ! Listen to your baby so he can grow up communicate with you.

Re: Cry it out.. Please don't!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Does your baby use pacifier because babies actually don't need more than 1 bottle at night at this age my girl wakes up a lot too but I give her a pacifier and she goes back to sleep
  • Options
    freshie723freshie723 member
    edited January 2016
    Hang in there. My daughter would wake up 3 or 4 times during the night for 2 or 3 days at a time...this would happen every 2 months or so. I imagine thats when she is going thru a growth spurt. As much as i wanted to go back to sleep, i knew she needed SOMETHING. ..whether it be food, attention. .whatever, she cried bc she needed me. I felt better knowing i was helping her. This too shall pass and who knows, one day we might think back and actually miss being needed during the night.
  • Options
    My 7.5 month old wakes very frequently as well. I just nurse him back to sleep but it is frustrating because I need sleep. At this point, I'd be thrilled to get 5 straight hours.
  • Options
    My LO went from 8-10 stretches to 1-2 stretches starting at 5 months. At 7 months I decided to give the Ferber method a try; took only one hour of crying the first night, 20 minutes to second, and now she sleeps from 7pm until 4:00-5:00am.
    CIO worked for us, and although it may not be for everyone, I am not a bad mother because I used it. I am much more rested and able to interact during the day now!
    That being said, I don't think CIO is the answer for all of us- we are all great mamas doing what is best for our babies! Good luck!
  • Options
    I use the cry it out method. I'm not ashamed to say that I do. It works for some babies and not for others.

At first I didn't like the idea, but tried it and she didn't cry for very long (5 mins) then slept well. Sometimes she will cry longer, but it kinda just depends if she's over tired or something like that.

My baby HATES to be rocked. I thought all babies loved it, lol.
  • Options
    Just a thought... Just because something "works" for you doesn't mean it's right.
  • Options
    mommyjhh said:
    CIO was the best thing we ever did. And this is coming from a crunchy mama. I cloth diaper, I plan on extended breastfeeding, I am all about organic, and essential oils yada yada yada...

But, the bottom line for me is:
    My son needs sleep for healthy development. My son is not getting any sleep co-sleeping and definitely not getting any sleep with my rocking/holding him for hours on end. My husband and I need sleep to function and to be good parents. We aren't getting any sleep.

After 3 nights of CIO, my son would cry maybe 10-15 minutes, and then get a whopping 10-12 hours of sleep (waking up twice to eat, and going straight back to sleep). We are now getting sleep. My son is getting sleep. And after 1 month, he isn't even crying anymore. At bedtime my husband changes his diaper. I read him 3 stories. We wind up the musical puppy, and then I put my son in bed with his lovey. He knows its bedtime and he lays quietly until he falls asleep. Its a win-win for everyone. I know I did the right thing, because this created the optimal situation for everyone to get enough sleep, which in turn allows us all to be healthy individuals. 
    Haha, let me start with saying that I love how you admitted to being "crunchy!" Your post really strikes a cord with me, so I must ask: how old was your son when you did CIO?