May 2016 Moms

Glucose results discussion

Re: Glucose results discussion

• I don't do mine until the last week of February, but I do have a question. Is it true that it must be done in the morning? I was told that it would yield better results, but that the afternoon appointment is okay. I have a family history of diabetes, although I ate well before pregnancy. During pregnancy, well...7 bowls of Apple Jacks each morning (not drinking the milk tho).
    Mine was done late afternoon. The only restrictions I had were to not eat/drink anything sweet (including fruit) but to otherwise eat like normal.
  • edited February 2016
    Mine were both scheduled for late morning. Passed the first, don't know about the second yet. 
    But you will be very hungry after. If time allows plan on eating a meal right after. Or at the very least bring a granola bar or something for right after. 

After mine both times I planned on going out to eat at a wonderful deli with lots of options.
    I order a huge salad, garlic bread & hummus, fresh strawberries, iced tea, ice cream with almonds on top, and a chicken wrap with jalapeños, salsa, and guacamole.
    The restaurant has been the highlight of my pregnancy since I live quite a ways away from it but it is close to my prenatal appointments. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Found out today that I passed mine! Buttttt that I'm anemic. Boo.
  • I don't do mine until the last week of February, but I do have a question. Is it true that it must be done in the morning? I was told that it would yield better results, but that the afternoon appointment is okay. I have a family history of diabetes, although I ate well before pregnancy. During pregnancy, well...7 bowls of Apple Jacks each morning (not drinking the milk tho).
    Mine was done late afternoon. The only restrictions I had were to not eat/drink anything sweet (including fruit) but to otherwise eat like normal.
    Mine was also in the afternoon 4:30. I was told the same advice, not to have any fruit, sweets, or carbs (guessing because it breaks down to glucose). I could have a snack like almonds or an egg. I had lunch at 1:30 and didn't eat anything until the test.  I passed and have been eating much more unhealthy than normal due to the sweets cravings. i don't think it matters what you do, it's based on how your body is processing things. 
  • Weird, I have mine today at 3:15 and was told to just eat and drink like normal. I haven't eaten anything sugary so far today, but I did eat fruit with my breakfast (I had cottage cheese and an apple). Hopefully that's not a problem.
  • Just got the call...I failed the 1hr. BOO! Anyone have any experience where they failed the 1hr but passed the 3hr and didn't get the GD diagnosis or is it pretty much a done deal at this point?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just got the call...I failed the 1hr. BOO! Anyone have any experience where they failed the 1hr but passed the 3hr and didn't get the GD diagnosis or is it pretty much a done deal at this point?
    As far as I know it's pretty common to fail the one hour but pass the three hour.  It happened to a few friends of mine.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Haven't taken mine yet, but my step sister failed the 1hr on both of her kids and then passed with flying colors on her 3hr. So all hope is not lost. :)
    As far as I understand, the 1hr test is tough to pass because they want to catch any possible case of GD. The 3 hr test is a lot more reasonable and 2/3 women pass it. Although I hear the entire process absolutely sucks. I am not looking forward to it at all, I just want to get it over with.
  • I think what may have screwed me up is that I was so paranoid to eat something "wrong" that I basically fasted before the 1 hr. I think I ate a bite of my son's scrambled eggs and that is it. I drank water, but that's it. I would think that that would make me low, but I don't know. I did just find out that my father was diagnosed with Type 2 and my paternal grandmother died from complications from diabetes so I shouldn't be too surprised. Oh, and I am obese, so there's that...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @laurenmdrn16 Every doctor's office is different, but I was actually told to fast before my one hour, and my three hour.  So I don't think you screwed anything up by not eating.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @laurenmdrn16 Every doctor's office is different, but I was actually told to fast before my one hour, and my three hour.  So I don't think you screwed anything up by not eating.  
    Yep. From what I understand you can't screw it up. You either have GD or you don't. I fasted before my 1 hr and I failed, its the 3 hr test that will be the tell all.
  • FTM here. I took my 1 hr test yesterday in the morning. My friend is a nurse and told me to not eat a high carb dinner the night before and I fasted the morning I took my test. I guess she knows women who failed the test because of what they ate for dinner the night before. Still waiting for my results.Fingers crossed! BTW, I was anxious about how bad the drink would taste from others experiences and mine didnt taste bad at all. I had lemonlime flavor and it was served cold. Tasted like an extra sweet Sprite!
    I failed the 1 hour with DD and passed the 3 hour. I just got my results back today from the 1 hour and I barely passed! 
    I just found out I passed my 3 hour after failing my 1 hour! And I passed it like with flying colors, not even a close call! I think it just depends! I had one doctor say that she thought more people failed the 1 hour because it's not fasting, but then I've heard fasting messes t up too. So I would just try to relax and notmworry about it since it seems kind of common to fail the 1 Hour anyway! Good luck! 
  • I went and got the test done yesterday ! Every appointment my sugar in my urine has been very high.. Is it possible not to have GD when every appointment my urine is so high in sugar??? ... Guess I'll find out this week when they call me but I'm starting to stress out over it !! 
  • kwrightnb said:
    I went and got the test done yesterday ! Every appointment my sugar in my urine has been very high.. Is it possible not to have GD when every appointment my urine is so high in sugar??? ... Guess I'll find out this week when they call me but I'm starting to stress out over it !! 
    It's not normal to have sugar in your urine at all so I hate to say it, but I would think there's a good chance you will have GD. That said, if you were showing high urine sugar early on it makes me wonder why you weren't tested earlier...that seems odd to me. Fingers crossed though!!!! 
  • pelicanesquepelicanesque member
    edited February 2016
    eaorear said:
    Found out today that I passed mine! Buttttt that I'm anemic. Boo.
    Got the same result (passed sugar test, but "slightly anemic"). Doc recommended taking Floradix. I wonder if this has to do with the fact that I inadvertently had to cut down on eating red meat because I could no longer have my medium-rare steaks and burgers :# But I bet it has to do with the fact that our babies are siphoning off our iron for themselves B)
    GL!
  • I passed my 1 hour test this week, but they said my count was low so I'm on an iron supplement. This happened with my first as well. 
  • Passed my glucose test at 121, range is 65-139 woot woot!  B)
  • I took mine today. I had the fruit punch flavor, which tasted like the sweetest koolaid I've ever had in my life. I guess I'll find out how I did, soon! They tooky blood a little after the hour has passed, so I hope it didn't screw it up too much.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• edited February 2016
    Passed my 1 hour glucose test with a 93! Was kind of surprised actually as my sweet tooth and carb cravings have been out of control with this pregnancy!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • proudparent2bproudparent2b member
    edited February 2016
    I'm supposed to get results sometime next week. I'm getting a little concerned because I gained A LOT of weight in the past month.

My doctor requested that I up the exercise, swap fruits and sweets for veggies and simple carbs for complex ones. I'm trying to make the switch as best as I can (absolutely craving sweets), so that hopefully I'll pass the three hour test if I didn't pass the one hour one.
  • I have to say that even though I couldn't describe the 3hr as pleasant by any means, I was there with a bunch of other pregnant ladies and I kept thinking "This is like TB IRL!" Even though none of us knew each other, we started talking about our SOs, kids, pubic symphisis pain, gas, jobs, daycare searches etc all with the candor that only comes from a sense of anonymity. It made the hours fly by and we all were shocked when we were called in turn at the end of each hour for a blood draw. I was done first and I was so sad to leave, but one of the girls had mentioned it was her birthday (it was MH's too) and I kept thinking we would run into her when we went out to celebrate. I should've just gotten their info, but I get awkward about the etiquette for that sort of thing. Maybe we will meet again on the L&D floor and our kids will be BFFs!

Side note: I legit thought one of the girls was one of you Bumpies so if you were at Beverly Hospital for a 3hr glucose test on Saturday morning and remember talking to a kooky, chatty nurse with gross hair wearing a grey sweater dress and leggings, hit me up!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Eeeek. After reading all these I'm even more nervous... my test is today and not until 3pm. I had a PB&J this morning and some water. I'm starving and I have a headache but I'm afraid to eat a lot as I don't want to fail.... ugh... -_- I'm going to want a huge meal and soda after this tonight!
  • I have to say that even though I couldn't describe the 3hr as pleasant by any means, I was there with a bunch of other pregnant ladies and I kept thinking "This is like TB IRL!" Even though none of us knew each other, we started talking about our SOs, kids, pubic symphisis pain, gas, jobs, daycare searches etc all with the candor that only comes from a sense of anonymity. It made the hours fly by and we all were shocked when we were called in turn at the end of each hour for a blood draw. I was done first and I was so sad to leave, but one of the girls had mentioned it was her birthday (it was MH's too) and I kept thinking we would run into her when we went out to celebrate. I should've just gotten their info, but I get awkward about the etiquette for that sort of thing. Maybe we will meet again on the L&D floor and our kids will be BFFs!

Side note: I legit thought one of the girls was one of you Bumpies so if you were at Beverly Hospital for a 3hr glucose test on Saturday morning and remember talking to a kooky, chatty nurse with gross hair wearing a grey sweater dress and leggings, hit me up!
    OBGYN offices should do something to facilitate communication while we're all waiting there for our appointments! I sit there with these other women and we all kind of sneak looks at each other, but no one talks. I mean, sometimes I just want to zone out, but I could see talking to other mothers as therapeutic, too. Heck, that's why I come around here! Glad that something good came out of the 3-hour test. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Just took my test now the wait for the results starts. Honestly I like the drink and didn't think it was sweet at all. Maybe that's not such a good thing!! Dr did tell me to ease up on carbs and have some salad. At a 38 pounds weight gain I'm already at the highest I should be. So the next three monhs should be interesting. 

cat fail animated GIF

• @kp90 I ate and drank like normal (although I avoided sweets) the day of my appointment, and had the test at 3:15 p.m. My doctor had told me to eat and drink like normal up until I drank the glucose stuff. As long as your doctor didn't tell you to fast, I'd say eat if you're hungry... just try and eat something healthy rather than sugary.
    I had cottage cheese & an orange for breakfast that day, a snack of some cheese, and then a giant salad from the grocery store salad bar for lunch before my test. You don't want to go in already hungry and and headachey.

BTW I just got my results back and I passed! :)
  • yogahh said:
    Just took my test now the wait for the results starts. Honestly I like the drink and didn't think it was sweet at all. Maybe that's not such a good thing!! Dr did tell me to ease up on carbs and have some salad. At a 38 pounds weight gain I'm already at the highest I should be. So the next three monhs should be interesting. 
    I'm with you on this one.  I took my test this morning.  Drank the drank and it just tasted like a very sweet fruit punch drink.  Didn't mind it at all.  I also didn't feel any effects from the drink an hour later like people have been saying.  I've heard anything from fainting because of the sugar, getting lightheaded, etc.  I was talking to the guy taking my blood and asking him about the "symptoms" I have heard about afterwards and his response was if you are feeling fine, odds are your body breaks down the sugar with no problem (granted I cannot quote him on that because I do not have any results yet).  He said from what he has seen, most of the time, women can tell if they have GD just how their body reacts to sugar (with or without it).  Luckily, my body LOVES sugar and is completely used to it LOL.  

I am also up 38 lbs however it is all in my belly (I gain weight so easily).  I can't wait for LO to get here so she can be here already and I can go back to my normal workout, soccer, diet, etc routine!  I am going through major gym and soccer withdrawals (I played competitive soccer 3-4 nights a week before my BFP). 
  • Really need some positive vibes... Just failed my test with 156. I have to do my 3 hour on Thursday. Super bummed out and upset and nervous. Have you ladies had your 3 HR yet and were you able to work that afternoon or should I plan to take the day off?
  • @kp90 I felt the same way as you.  I had my 3 hr about two weeks ago.  I probably could have worked that afternoon but was glad I took the day off as I was so nervous it was nice to just come home and decompress.  I took my H with me and we brought the laptop and just watched tv while we waited in the waiting room.  The drink did not make me nauseous, but I was starving and lightheaded by the end.  I brought peanut butter crackers to eat immediately after I was done and was glad I did.  It's very common to fail the 1 hour and pass the 3 hour.  Good luck!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had an early glucose test at 20 weeks and passed that one with a 70. I had my 1hr test this morning. Dr. said I should pass fine, but I told her I was a bit worried because I had some cotton candy on Saturday at a hockey game. And when I say "some" I mean the entire bag. She laughed and said it will most likely be fine still and the worst case scenario is I have to do the 3 hour if it is skewed too much. So fingers crossed! I have never failed the 1hr before, dang you delicious fluffy sugar!! 
  • My appt is on Feb 26th which will be one day before 28 weeks. I am a little nervous because I have been eating sweets like crazy. Normally I never eat sweets - I don't dislike them I just prefer other things... but in the last few months all I want is sweets and desserts all the time. I looked online and it said that you really can't impact whether or not you'll have GD too much by what you eat, but I'm afraid I've brought it on myself if I do end up having it!!!! I HOPE NOT!!! :)
  • I have heard a lot of people say their doc gives them the drink before the appt to drink before the next one.... my office makes you drink it there. It will be the most boring hour of my life!! :):) I can't imagine the three hour! 
  • yogahhyogahh member
    edited February 2016
    Kit&Cat said:
    I have heard a lot of people say their doc gives them the drink before the appt to drink before the next one.... my office makes you drink it there. It will be the most boring hour of my life!! :):) I can't imagine the three hour! 
    How can it be boring when you have TB to keep you occupied ? ;)

cat fail animated GIF

• Sitting here with 3 mins left in my 1 hour! Fx I pass!
    28, DH - 30 
    Married 10/04/14 
    TTC since 1/1/15
    BFP 5/28/15
    MC 6/9/15
    BFP#2 9/21/15 - EDD 5/20/16
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • kp90 said:
    Really need some positive vibes... Just failed my test with 156. I have to do my 3 hour on Thursday. Super bummed out and upset and nervous. Have you ladies had your 3 HR yet and were you able to work that afternoon or should I plan to take the day off?
    I was in your same shoes last week. I scored a 154 and was really upset/nervous.  I took the day off today to do the 3 hour test, just to take precaution. I am so glad I did because it was rough, IMHO. I was very light headed after the second draw, had a stomach ache and head ache the entire time. Now like 5 hours later I still have a raging headache. Its a bad combo of fasting, four blood draws and that damn drink. This is obviously just my personal opinion, but I would plan on playing it by ear to go to work after your test and see how you feel. I went straight to breakfast after my test and inhaled food, I don't ever remember being that ravenously hungry in my life. So anyway you are not alone, I had the same emotions as you. DH also came with me for support and to keep me company for the 3+ hours. 
  • baybeekay said:
    yogahh said:
    Just took my test now the wait for the results starts. Honestly I like the drink and didn't think it was sweet at all. Maybe that's not such a good thing!! Dr did tell me to ease up on carbs and have some salad. At a 38 pounds weight gain I'm already at the highest I should be. So the next three monhs should be interesting. 
    I'm with you on this one.  I took my test this morning.  Drank the drank and it just tasted like a very sweet fruit punch drink.  Didn't mind it at all.  I also didn't feel any effects from the drink an hour later like people have been saying.  I've heard anything from fainting because of the sugar, getting lightheaded, etc.  I was talking to the guy taking my blood and asking him about the "symptoms" I have heard about afterwards and his response was if you are feeling fine, odds are your body breaks down the sugar with no problem (granted I cannot quote him on that because I do not have any results yet).  He said from what he has seen, most of the time, women can tell if they have GD just how their body reacts to sugar (with or without it).  Luckily, my body LOVES sugar and is completely used to it LOL.  

I am also up 38 lbs however it is all in my belly (I gain weight so easily).  I can't wait for LO to get here so she can be here already and I can go back to my normal workout, soccer, diet, etc routine!  I am going through major gym and soccer withdrawals (I played competitive soccer 3-4 nights a week before my BFP). 
    I was pretty jittery a few hours later, so I hope that's not a bad sign. Maybe I was just hungry, though....
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• baybeekay said:
    yogahh said:

I wonder what it means that I wanted more of the drink and never felt anything from the sugar? I'm assuming I'm screwed... Ha!

As for the weight I don't really care. As long as we are both healthy, I'll work out and diet and loose the weight then! 

cat fail animated GIF

• Just an update .... Passed the 3 hour with flying colors!!! Rewarding myself later with the mint n chip ice cream in the freezer that has been calling out to me for a week! Lol