October 2015 Moms
Options

Baby's Vaccinations

My son had his first round of vaccinations today. I have been dreading it for weeks and felt physically sick this morning before going. He got his jabs in the thighs. This long a** needle stabbed into his cute chubby legs! He smiled at the nurse and next thing she stabs him! He looked at me through his teary eyes, screaming and crying as loud as possible, just when he thought it was over, she did it twice more. I cried all the way through. It was horrible! I didn't expect to have a break down and I do not want to go back for the next rounds. I am sure LO doesn't either! Poor little bug! Now he is not feeling well and anything I do makes no difference! He doesn't even want his boob and he is a boob man. It usually soothes him. What a horrid day!
How was everyone else's experience?

Re: Baby's Vaccinations

• Options
    I follow Dr. Bob's alternative vaccine schedule so he only gets half the shots each visit. At 2 months he got the Tdap and rotovirus. He cried from the one shot and slept most of the day. It wasn't too bad. At 3 months he got to PC and HIB vaccine and had a much stronger reaction. Screaming after the shots and a lot of sleeping. He woke up screaming later that day so I gave him half a dose of Tylenol. He slept for 3 hours and then was back to normal.
  • Options
    We did all the normal shots at two months but skipped the oral, I'm a SAHM so we don't think the benefits outweigh the risks of the oral one especially since it's mainly preventing diarrhea. Damien seemed a little cranky that day but mainly was fine. He seemed to have some slight muscle soreness the next two days but other than that he was good too. I too was shocked at the length of the one needle and when I asked about it the nurse explained that the longer needles are vaccines that are put into the muscle tissue not just the fatty tissue
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @midge519 FYI rotavirus is not just diarrhea - I had it as a baby and it almost killed me. Obviously I was just one case, but it can be deadly.

As far as the original question we had a good experience. I nursed her through it and that worked really well. She cried for a second and then realized the boob was still there and kept drinking. Then she slept a lot for two days. We were told the baby really feeds off of mom. Can your SO take the baby? If you are too upset it could be exacerbating the situation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When LO got his 2nd Hep B shot, it nearly killed us both...not really but OMG was that heartbreaking...he was surprised/shocked more than anything, cried like I'd never seen him cry before and took a bit to calm him down...I was a wreck seeing him like that. I had terrible anxiety leading up to his 2 month vaccinations just at the thought of seeing him cry like that and not being able to really help him. But...it wasn't nearly as bad. I think mostly because he started to cry when she pinned his legs so he was already worked up and wasn't surprised by the poke. He calmed down in a minute or 2 ate, smiled and coo'd for a bit, took  about 2.5 hr nap and was good to go. No fever, no fussing...We.Got.Lucky.
  • Options
    AiramJAiramJ member
    edited January 2016
    My husband was with us. He was upset too. He was so stressed by seeing our son so upset, he didn't even register what the nurse said to us. Mayon literally never cries, especially not like that, so it was just terrible. Next shots are in 4 weeks. We have to get the TB shot done too.
    And as Danniellemichellexox said, rather that than what he could catch without it. Why can't they all be oral vaccines :(
  • Options
    @AiramJ my baby never cries so I think that will be the hardest for me too :cry:
  • Options
    LO was fussy and very tender on her thigh. She slept for hours, I gave her two doses of Tylenol and snuggled all day. She was fine the next morning.
  • Options
    crbpjb said:

@midge519 FYI rotavirus is not just diarrhea - I had it as a baby and it almost killed me. Obviously I was just one case, but it can be deadly.

As far as the original question we had a good experience. I nursed her through it and that worked really well. She cried for a second and then realized the boob was still there and kept drinking. Then she slept a lot for two days. We were told the baby really feeds off of mom. Can your SO take the baby? If you are too upset it could be exacerbating the situation.

You're definitely right it isn't. But that's one of the biggest issues with it. Our pediatrician recommends it most for babies that are going to be going to day care and what not. The series is also only effective for the first year or so, according to the pedi, and I won't be going to work in that time frame. My oldest had the vax and ended up getting it before he was 3. My daughter never go it because we moved when she was 7 weeks old and she was delayed going to the doctor and missed the windo for starting it. She never got it. Weighing out the risks with the Doctor it seems best for us.
  • Options
    @midge519 super jealous you are able to stay home for so long
  • Options
    @midge519 I totally understand what you're saying, but I just wanted to make sure you knew it was more serious than diahhrea. My mom stayed at home with us and somehow we still got it, but it was when I was 9 months so the vaccine would've helped. I'm probably more concerned with that vaccine because of my personal experience though. :)
  • Options
    midge519midge519 member
    edited January 2016
    @meganraschke I'm incredibly grateful SO can support us on his own. It's tight but do able. We'd be in a hole paying childcare if I was working.

@crbpjb I appreciate you making sure :-) we definitely need to know what we're choosing or declining. It's crazy that you still got it even with being home with her! I'm glad in the end you came out ok but that had to be terrifying for your mom. I understand your concern with your experience!

ETA most of the last paragraph. App cut it off
  • Options
    I cried. The nurse even came in twice to ask me if I was ok after she got her vaccines. I gave her a dose of Tylenol when we got home, but other than crying when she got the shots she was fine.
  • Options
    @kaseyhunter85 I had the exact same experience. With the first Hep B shot, I wasn't anxious or upset, but seeing her little face of shock dam near killed me and made me dread her 2 month shot. That time, I was able to hold her, so I couldn't actually see her face while she got the shot, and I could comfort her during the whole process. She loved the oral meds and only cried for a minute with the other two. She then promptly slept All day.
    I am glad she had that reaction because I am a firm believer that half of their reaction is based of of the parent's. I don't want to feel scared when she has to get more because she will sense that.
  • Options
    I have just been doing some reading and found tips on making vaccinations easier. One of them was to use a topical anaesthetic before getting jabs! I have just ordered some and will be using it for his next vaccine next week. Fingers crossed it does the trick!
  • Options
    Hello. I'm a mommy of four and it always sucks. With my little one he took them hard and cried the whole day. While I cuddled him, my husband alternated warm wet towels on his legs and it seemed to really relax him.
  • Options
    Our experience was so sad.I almost cried because I felt so bad for my poor baby. My husband was sick so my sister went with me. One minute my little mama is playing on the table and the next she's WAILING. It broke my heart. After the first shot, I asked the nurse if I could hold her and try to comfort her. She was so red. My heart broke. Then after a few minutes she did the next two shots in her other thigh. MY POOR BABY. I wanted to smack the nurse because she was hurting. She was inconsolable for about 15 minutes afterward. I'm not looking forward to her next set in a few weeks. I will be asking her pediatrician if there's a topical numbing agent I can use to lessen the pain. It hurts seeing your little one like that. :( 
    :) visit my blog to get easy recipes & mom stuff: http://somestufforwhatever.wordpress.com  :)
  • Options
    @brittanispears I had the same experience. I got some numbing cream online. Have a look, they are affordable and over the counter. You apply it a few hours before and baby hopefully won't feel anything. I will try next week.
  • Options
    We went in the 29th of December. She layed on the bed (idk if they're called beds) and I turned completely away until it was over. I liked that because after that mean lady poked her I got to walk over and pick her up and be the soother.

She was super cranky the next couple of days and REALLY sleepy the first day. But within a few days she was back to normal.

Even though it's uncomfortable for us, it's the best thing we can do for our babies. And they don't even remember it the next day. Go back in the 18th of February....
  • Options
    @brittanispears next time see if they can do them all right away instead of spacing them out like that. I don't see a need for putting time in between just to upset them again. LOs we're all back to back within seconds of each other and he was in my arms the whole time.
  • Options
    Yeah even if you space them out to where you just take a couple a month...I feel like that's just 12 times instead of 6 that you upset them.
  • Options
    I took my son to get his tuberculosis vaccination yesterday. After his first round of jabs two weeks ago and him being in pain and crying I bought a local anesthetic cream. I applied it an hour before the appointment and it worked!!! No tears at all, he didn't feel a thing. I would highly recommend it!!
  • Options
    @AiramJ what is it called ?? Violet got all her vaccines and only cried for the DTaP .. The other two she didn't even notice but she cried really hard after that DTaP :cry: it would be nice to have a cream to help her before her next vaccines in six weeks. 
  • Options
    It's called EMLA 5mg. Not sure it's available everywhere, but google something like topical skin numbing cream. They are sold for tattoos and to use before minor operations on skin. I am really happy to have found a solution as I could not have made it through another torture session!