March 2016 Moms
Options

STM+ Breast pump brand

I did search but just found posts talking about breast pumps, nothing really about specific brands you've liked or had good luck with.

So, I'm trying to decide which breast pump would be a good investment. Ideally, I'd love to have a medela, just because that's a popular brand that most people seem to like. But after looking at them, it's a bit out of my price range. Anyone have any experience and can give a recommendation?

Re: STM+ Breast pump brand

• Options
    How often will you be using it? If you work and will be using it daily/extensively then it is worth getting the best one you can afford. If you plan to only use it sporadically or for nights out, etc. then there are definitely other options. I had (have) a Medela but I used it for a year at work and found it to be a good investment. They also replaced it for free when it broke prior to a year. Also, I haven't looked into it yet but I think that pumps might be covered under the new healthcare laws? It is definitely worth exploring...
  • Options
    I got a free Ameda breast pump from my insurance company and it worked great. I used it 3-4X a day/5 days a week for a year. I am planning on using it again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Medela manual pump for me. If I had to pump every day or even most days I could see investing in a better pump, but for my infrequent use (about once a week) it's not worth it and the manual pump does just fine. The only annoying thing about it is that it comes with one size flange (medium, I believe) and it was NOT the correct size for me. I figured that out the painful way. Once I bought a different size flange from Medela, pumping was fine. It was one of those "no one told me about this!" parts of breastfeeding.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I did Medela PISA with DS1 and it would take me 45 minutes to get anything worth saving for my baby.  I pumped with it for 5-6 months before my pumping supply took a nosedive - still nursed around work.  I did Hygeia Q with DS2 and I LOVED it.  It's hospital grade.  I was able to pump for 9 months and get enough for him to be exclusive bm for that 9 months before we did formula during the day.  And it would only take me 15 minutes a session to get at least a feeding's worth.  Both of them were covered by my insurance - I had to buy the Medela because that was before the insurance coverage for breast pumps started.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    I've always wanted to try a Hygeia. I've only heard good things from everyone! My insurance just covers Medela and Ameda, both of which are okay. I've used both. Will be getting the medela this time.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    I used a borrowed Medela with DS but didn't really get a feel for it because my milk never came in. I am hoping for a better experience this time. I would check and see which pumps your insurance covers. I did it through target and it was super easy. They have a program where they will check your insurance see what you qualify for and then assist you with getting a prescription from your doctor. Once approved you can have it mailed or pick it up in your local store. Mine only covers medela and some brand I have never heard of so I will be going with the medela. Just go to the breastpump section of their website for the info. I haven't decided if I want to pay the 119.00 for the uprgaded one or just go with the free one. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Also if you go to a medical supply website and put in your insurance, you can find out what is covered - you can actually do everything through one of those sites.  I used Byram Healthcare last time and it was wonderful.  They even handled ordering replacement pump parts. 

I will warn you against using used pumps.  If it's an open system (like Medela), you really want to do new because the milk can become trapped in the motor.  Closed system pumps can be shared.  But keep in mind pumps really should only be used for a year - like the motor was only meant to be used for that long. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    @skruhmin - I borrowed it from my cousin and at the time I had no idea that Medelas were "open" and shouldn't be shared. Unfortunatly I never got any milk out of it anyway. :( I def. wouldn't advise someone to borrow one now that I am more educated on the topic. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @skruhmin - I borrowed it from my cousin and at the time I had no idea that Medelas were "open" and shouldn't be shared. Unfortunatly I never got any milk out of it anyway. :( I def. wouldn't advise someone to borrow one now that I am more educated on the topic. :)
    And I totally wasn't pointing fingers - just educating the newbs.  The efficiency and production was why I prefered the Hygeia over the Medela. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    Ugh i wish i could be on top of things like this, but my current health coverage is not being offered after 11/1 so I'm off to the marketplace to see what kind of UNaffordable plan i can get in a couple weeks.

I borrowed a Medela for DD1, it was ok. But now that i just became aware of the above information i won't be using a borrowed one again.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have a medela and have nothing but good things to say. I agree, if you are pumping a lot for work, get a good one. If not, I don't think you need a nice one.

I worked full time with my first and it was worth it. I was home with my second and she wouldn't take a bottle so I rarely used it

• Options
    First check with your insurance about getting a free pump.

I had a medela freestyle for dd3, but I felt the suction wasn't consistent. Seemed to loose suction a lot.

I had a medela manual one, and loved the ease and comfort of it, but it may be too time consuming to use full time at work. For at home though, it was great.

I had a Lansinoh double electric for dd1 and dd2, and I liked it very much, except the lack of mobility. If you are just using it in one place, either at home or at work, it will work well, and it's more cost efficient than medela, and still keeps good quality.
  • Options

Ugh i wish i could be on top of things like this, but my current health coverage is not being offered after 11/1 so I'm off to the marketplace to see what kind of UNaffordable plan i can get in a couple weeks.

I borrowed a Medela for DD1, it was ok. But now that i just became aware of the above information i won't be using a borrowed one again.
    Call your insurance and get one NOW... You don't have to wait till baby is born.

• Options
    RosyK said:

Call your insurance and get one NOW... You don't have to wait till baby is born.
    Thats the thing, my current primary insurance does NOT cover any prenatal/maternity. I have medicaid back up for the time being so i'm not paying out of pocket thus far, but medicaid only covers pumps borrowed through the health dept. which you can only get after baby is born and it sucks! I have to replace my coverage anyways come November so we shall see in a few weeks what my new plan will cover.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    skruhmin said:
    And I totally wasn't pointing fingers - just educating the newbs.  The efficiency and production was why I prefered the Hygeia over the Medela. 

I didn't think you were. Just one of those things a FTM mom probably doens't know. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Parker16772Parker16772 member
    edited October 2015
    RosyK said:

I was going to ask my doctor when I went monday but forgot. I thought insurance made you wait until you are further along like 28 weeks? Not sure where I heard that? I am a planner or I would like to order now if possible but wasn't sure if I could.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I borrowed my cousin's Medela Lactina with DS (it's a hospital grade pump). This time around I plan on buying the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. It is the pump I see most frequently being recommended.
  • Options
    RosyK : Two years ago my insurance wouldn't give me a pump until after baby was born. They said they needed proof of life so the day after DS was born I called while he was crying in the background for "proof of life". I chose the Ameda Elite since it was a closed system but wasn't super fond of it so I'm hoping to see what they offer now. But I plan on calling in the next few days in case they've changed their policy.

Pregnancy Ticker

March '16 February Siggy challenge- After Pregnancy hopes

• Options
    I'm glad this thread was posted.  I have been wondering which pump I should try to get.
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I also had a hygeia pump with DD and I loved it! I liked that it was a closed system. I have to see if my insurance covers hygeia this time around.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I used a Medela PISA for DS. It worked quite well for me, and you can get accessories easily such as a car adapter and different flanges/membranes/new tubes at Target or online easily. If I get a new one it'll probably be a Medela again because I already have parts and bottles that fit it so why change? 

My doctor had to write me a script after DS was born (insurance required this), then I was able to purchase the pump via a medical supplier.

A suggestion to all ladies out there especially FTMs: get a pump ordered ASAP after your LO is born, even if you think you won't need it. Breastfeeding was going great for me at the hospital so I waited to order it, and then nursing went very downhill about a week later and I didn't have a pump to help out. If nothing else, purchase a $20 manual pump just in case if you want to wait on the electric pump.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FYI Medela parts all work on Hygeia Q - you just have to get an adapter for the bottle size.  I used a lot of our old Medela bottles with the Hygeia.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    Thank you ladies! I plan on just using it a couple times a week. Just for nights out and for random feedings. A lot of my friends have recommended to me that I introduce a bottle eventually just so he doesn't refuse one later down the road. So I'll be looking into all your suggestions as well as looking to see if my insurance covers one. :)
  • Options
    I had the Medela PISA from my insurance with DD and it worked alright.  I also got the manual pump for when I'm on the road and where it's not easy to find an outlet.  I really wish I have the freestyle because then I wouldn't have to always look for an outlet.  It was a hassle when I tried to pump at work but someone is using the wellness room (even though I reserved it!) 

Seems like Hygeia Q is also a popular brand.  Has anyone tried the Freemie Freedom? I see it as an option on Byram Healthcare under my insurance coverage. I had a hard time getting milk out last time (had to squeeze my boobs like crazy) so something more hand free will be helpful.
  • Options
    Seriously consider the ameda double electric. It's a fantastic pump and it's a closed system meaning milk doesn't go through any tubing or anything. Cleanup is a breeze and it's easy to sell hygencally after you're done.
    It was a great investment for us. I pumped 1-3oz almost every day (during Netflix time lol) to build up a freezer stash for "Mom's weekly full night sleep" time.
  • Options
    smushismushi member
    edited October 2015
    @thecubiclee If you're only wanting to pump intermittently and don't need it for work, I would recommend a hand pump (I liked my Medela hand pump well enough).  I would pump one side in the morning while LO nursed on the other side.  That was how I built a stash for date nights, etc while I was home with him for the first 4 months.  I didn't start pumping til about 3 weeks though (so that our bf'ing relationship had time to establish), and at that point, the amount you get may seem very small (I would have to pump all week long to build up enough for a bottle for Friday date night).

If you decide you'd like an electric pump, you can go to this website and put in your Insurance type, and it will pull up all the models available to you (through their group):

• Options
    Does your work offer a pumping room with a hospital grade pump? that could help you decide if parts could be used for both work and home.
  • Options
    Love my Hygeia. My insurance covered it with a prescription once baby was born, and I think they cover a new one every 3 years. I had to talk to my insurance company to find out what pharmacies/stores they covered in my area, and that depended on what brand I was able to get. I went in wanting a Medala, but the pharmacy I got it at had just switched to Hygeia. Which turned out to be a great choice!
  • Options
    Hi want to resurrect this post as I am trying to order my breast pump through insurance in the next week or so.  I have a Medela PISA from DD that will be about 2 years old, is that still good to use?  I'll  buy some replacement tubes and other parts but I'm hoping to get another brand to see if I get better outcome (last time was a bit of a struggle).  At least if the other one doesn't turn out well, I can fall back to my PISA. 
  • Options
    See my above responses on Hygeia Q vs Medela.  I would keep the Medela as a backup but not rely on it as they're only meant to be used for a year.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    Thanks for all the good suggestions!  I just ordered from Byram (so easy!) the spectra 9 or something.  I have a 7.5 yr old medala freestyle which I love, but I feel like it has to be getting to the end of its lifetime. The spectra 9 was the only rechargeable pump my insurance offered so I went with that since I'm used to the awesome portability of the freestyle.  Hopefully it turns out to be a good choice!
  • Options
    I have a Medela PISA that was a gift from my Mom when I had my first 5.5 years ago. I only used it for the first 9 months of his life. However, since it's near it's "expiration" date, I'm getting another which is fully covered by my insurance. Though everyone had amazing things to say about the Hygeia, I opted to get the Medela PISA again so that I can keep one at home and one at the office and have interchangeable parts and bottles to make it a little easier on me.

I strongly suggest you see if your insurance will cover it. I had to go to my insurance company's website, look up their pump policy and then start at the top of a list of 10 medical device providers to see which were in network. Fortunately the third was, and covered it for me. My order is in process now. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I was given a prescription to "borrow" a hospital grade Medela since my LO had to stay in the NICU, but I got a Medela Freestyle and its awesome! I loved the features it has, handsfree, small and compact, nice carry bag and when I got back to work.. a little cooler bag. I found out through my insurance that I could get a pump and send in for a refund up to $750. Mine wound up being $400, but I was fully refunded for the pump.