September 2015 Moms
Options

Supply Decreasing

So I've been back to work two months now and recently my milk supply dropped a bit. We are going to have to start supplementing with formula since we are almost out of my freezer stash. How did those of you who are supplementing do it? I pump 5 times a day since I'm away from my baby almost 12 hours a day, 4 days a week. It's rough. Right now I feed her at about 5:30am, then she gets a breast milk in a  bottle at 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm and then I nurse her when I get home from work at 6:30pm because even though she's not super hungry she just wants to be close to mama. I wouldn't even know where to begin supplementing. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Re: Supply Decreasing

• Options
    I'm sorry your going through this. I know how emotional it can be to deal with. I add formula to his feedings throughout the day. It doesn't have to be every feeding but let's say you need to supplement 6 ounces a day. You could just replace once ounce of every feeding with formula after. I never mix the two together but he eats 4 ounces each feeding normally so I do 3 ounces of breast milk first then follow with 1 ounce of formula. He's always tolerated this method better than giving him an entire bottle of formula for one feeding even tho it's probably more work for myself. 
  • Options
    I'm in the exact same position as you OP. My baby is on the same feeding schedule and I have no freezer stash anymore, I'm barely making it. Today I only sent 16oz, and had to drive over during lunch to drop off the 4 oz I had just pumped at work. It's only been 3 days since this has started so I'm hoping it's just a little glitch in my system! I don't know where to start either if I have to supplement, I feel the sadness coming in but I'm not ready to give up just yet. Good luck and may we be filled with full boobies soon! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited February 2016
    Have you replaced your pump membranes recently (the white flappy circles on the yellow valves if you have a Medela Pump In Style Advanced)?

I only ask because I've been back to work for two months as well and a few weeks ago I noticed a big drop in supply. After doing some reading, I realized that pump membranes need to be replaced at least every 3 months, if not more. I hadn't replaced mine since I got my pump 4.5 months before that.

I replaced my pump membranes and noticed an instant increase in my supply and began making as much and even more milk than I had been the previous month. (The membranes help control the pump's suction, so once the membranes wear out, the pump doesn't work as well). Just wanted to pass this along in case it helps you! :)
  • Options
    @crysgx  dang!! 20 oz at the sitter?! Shit. Mine eats before we leave the house and I send 15 oz with him.  He usually doesn't even touch the 3rd bottle and it often comes home with him. No wonder it's hard to keep up! Def replace your membranes like @jen83mn said. It helped me for sure. Good luck!!
  • Options
    I don't have any advice, but I can relate this post.  I have a similar schedule and am always fretting about whether I will be able to pump enough for the next day.  I have found that staying hydrated is really important.  
  • Options
    barrelocarolbarrelocarol member
    edited February 2016
    I'm sorry...this is so frustrating. 

You could double time your nursing sessions by pumping the other side. A hands free bra or those Freemie pump cups would help with the mechanics. 

Also, I've linked up with my local La Leche League. They are AWESOME! 
  • Options
    I'm an ep er and in December my supply went from 34 -38 oz down to a consistent 25 oz by january. I used up my freezer stash then. My lo eats 20 oz at daycare and 5 at around 5 am. As soon as we get home around 6 he gets another 5 oz of formula and then a 3 or 4 oz night cap of formula. It was described to me best to give dedicated formula instead of mixing because you have to throw it away after an hour if your lo doesn't finish it and I don't want to throw my bm away. I was super emotional about this especially after our breastfeeding issues broke my heart. supplementing and not "being good enough anymore " was making me cry as well. He does great on it sleeps through the night and he's happy and fed. I'm much better now. Gl hope this was helpful 
  • Options
    Would you be able to squeeze in a pumping session or 2 after your LO is asleep?  That might help you with your supply if you are trying to avoid formula.  Also, make sure your sitter/daycare is using paced bottle feeding technique.  You can get the video of it on You Tube - might help your milk go further during the day.  Good luck, sorry that you are having issues.  
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to replace my parts to see if that will help. It is super emotional and the guilt really sucks. @Nehouston I pump once after LO goes to sleep, but I only get about 1 oz since it's right after she nurses and then I'm pretty much done for the night lol I'm pretty exhausted at that point and just head to bed. I'm not sure if they use paced bottle feeding. I'm going to look into that and maybe that'll help.