March 2016 Moms
Options

Warning, loss mentioned *not mine* safety warning

Ladies, if you do feel the need to let you baby sleep in a car seat, don't do it while  you are sleeping. I can't stress enough how dangerous that can be. My sister told me yesterday how one of her friends put her newborn in a car seat to sleep, then left him alone while she showered. When she came back he had gotten turned a bit and the strap that held him in strangled him.
Then today, I get on Facebook and a couple with twins had put their babies to sleep in their car seats, didn't buckle them in, put them in the other room and went to bed themselves. When the mother got up to check on them, one of the babies had turned over and managed to get his head caught in the sunscreen. He had stuggled enough that the car seat over turned. He didn't survive. They were 5 months old. 
Please, babies should only be in car seats while in the car or at least in eye sight.

Re: Warning, loss mentioned *not mine* safety warning

• Options
    So many of these horror stories in the news recently. Just awful.
  • Options
    Awful tragedies, but people need to be aware. Thanks for posting.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm honestly surprised that people would leave their children in car seats without any supervision. I guess they didn't want to disturb the babies from sleep, but... it never would have occurred to me to do that. Horrible to hear about.

• Options
    People do this at parties/social events... It drives me crazy... Makes me even more sure that I'll be a baby wearing momma to keep him a bit more safe. 
  • Options
    Lurker from April 16

I've heard about the dangers of letting your baby sleep in the car seat, but  wondering now how is it safe for them when they are in the car and they fall asleep? Is it the way the car seat is positioned in the base compared to just the seat sitting on the floor? 
  • Options
    @loveymay you're right using the base corrects the angle. They do reccomend stopping and taking your baby out of the car for long road trips. I can't remember the frequency but my parents live 4hrs away and he slept the entire way when he was 4/5 months and we just let him sleep. At the time it was his longest stretch.
  • Options
    @loveymay, what I took away from this is that they just placed their children in their car seats and didn't buckle them in or didn't properly buckle them in.  When they get twisted around they can't correct themselves.  If you have them restrained properly they shouldn't be able to shift positions.  I don't think the take away is never put your kid in it's car seat, just be careful about it.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    @loveymay, what I took away from this is that they just placed their children in their car seats and didn't buckle them in or didn't properly buckle them in.  When they get twisted around they can't correct themselves.  If you have them restrained properly they shouldn't be able to shift positions.  I don't think the take away is never put your kid in it's car seat, just be careful about it.
    I think the bigger one is that they were left unsupervised while in the seat... 
  • Options
    It is amazing what you'll do when sleep deprived. Ds3 had reflux and was a horrible sleeper. The night he got his 2 month shots he slept for 5 hours, in his car seat. That was the first time I had slept more than 1.5 hrs in 8+ weeks and I was in really rough shape.  He fell asleep on the way home around 7 and I stuck him next to my bed still buckled into his seat and we both slept until midnight. After reading this I probably wouldn't have done it, but I just wanted to point out that sometimes sleep deprivation can make you do things you wouldn't normally consider. He didn't sleep longer than 2 hrs again for at least another month and I never stuck him back in the car seat to sleep. 
    Yup out of desperation we definitely did this with DS1 - even had one time unbuckled.  Looking back on it I'm not proud of it at all.  It's crazy what sleep deprivation can do.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    tJaffe said:
    People do this at parties/social events... It drives me crazy... Makes me even more sure that I'll be a baby wearing momma to keep him a bit more safe. 
    Sadly, there have been a number of cases of babies also suffocating while being worn. You just always have to be vigilant. 
  • Options
    skruhmin said:
    It is amazing what you'll do when sleep deprived. Ds3 had reflux and was a horrible sleeper. The night he got his 2 month shots he slept for 5 hours, in his car seat. That was the first time I had slept more than 1.5 hrs in 8+ weeks and I was in really rough shape.  He fell asleep on the way home around 7 and I stuck him next to my bed still buckled into his seat and we both slept until midnight. After reading this I probably wouldn't have done it, but I just wanted to point out that sometimes sleep deprivation can make you do things you wouldn't normally consider. He didn't sleep longer than 2 hrs again for at least another month and I never stuck him back in the car seat to sleep. 
    Yup out of desperation we definitely did this with DS1 - even had one time unbuckled.  Looking back on it I'm not proud of it at all.  It's crazy what sleep deprivation can do.
    Absolutely. Also, I'm not sure if this is something that is just being talked about more recently or if I missed the memo, but I didn't even know this was a dangerous thing to do with my older two. No one ever said anything and as a pp mentioned, you see people leaving babies in carseats to sleep quite often. I'm glad that it's being talked about though, because how awful to learn by experience. :(
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker