1st Trimester
Options

Suggestions needed

veetveetveetveet member
edited February 2016 in 1st Trimester
The time will come soon when I have to tell my boss about my pregnancy.   This is a little touchy.  She has struggled with infertility for years,  has tried everything under the sun and is still childless.   I've seen her get emotional over it.   But she also knows that I lost my last pregnancy in my second trimester...and cried over that too!    She is a lovely lady.   Perhaps I'm overthinking it.   

If you were in my shoes,  how would you tell her?

Re: Suggestions needed

• Options
    Yikes. That's a tough one. All you can do is just tell her. Let her know you are struggling with this because you care about her feelings.
  • Options
    Yikes. That's a tough one. All you can do is just tell her. Let her know you are struggling with this because you care about her feelings.
    This. Maybe even think about how she'll take it better. Face to face, or maybe through an email where she doesn't have to put on a brave face if she needs to. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you guys are closer than your average boss/employee then I would tell her face to face, but perhaps at the end of the day or on a Friday so that she has some time to process it. Something like I need to talk with you but wanted to give you some time in case you needed it...
  • Options
    I would try and catch her at the end of the week so that if she does become emotional she doesn't then have to face the whole office after. Maybe make an appointment with her explicitly stating its for maternity leave purposes so she can prepare herself.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies!   
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    I would try and catch her at the end of the week so that if she does become emotional she doesn't then have to face the whole office after. Maybe make an appointment with her explicitly stating its for maternity leave purposes so she can prepare herself.
    Definitely this. I wouldn't ambush her at the beginning of a work day or anything. I'd ask her if she could see you at the end of day on a Friday to discuss Maternity leave and how it works. Something like that. She will most likely know what's up and be prepared for the announcement.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Tell her before someone else does. I would schedule a meeting and indicate it is a personal matter you want to discuss. She will probably figure it out.