November 2015 Moms

Tummy time issues

I need some advise!

My daughter just hit 2 months and HATES tummy time. I've tried laying with her, mirrors, toys with flashing lights (which she normally loves), and singing toys. Nothing works! She screams her head off. She's doing very well developmentally, follows things with her eyes, tries to grab things, and is starting to sit up. I'm just worried that her hatred for tummy time is going to set her back! Anyone have any other suggestions to make tummy time an easier/more enjoyable experience? 

Re: Tummy time issues

• ...you don't have to put baby on the floor for tummy time. You can put baby on your chest and that's plenty. Do you know how few cultures in this world practice "tummy time"? LO will be fine.
  • There's several threads on this topic already - try searching around. You'll get some great advice in addition to what queenwog said above. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both!
  • She's starting to sit up at two months?
  • She's starting to sit up at two months?
    She can't go from laying flat to sitting up on her own. Sorry, I should have worded that better I guess haha.. when we sit her on her bottom she can sit with her back and head sitting up and pretty steady on her own. 
  • Good point, thank you for that! I think that since this is my first child I stress about if I'm doing the correct things to help her development. I need to remind myself to just relax and let everything come naturally and take in all the cuddles and snuggles I can get! 
  • My pediatrician said that with every diaper change I should flip my son over on his stomach for at least 15 seconds. She said it adds up and will still strengthen his arms and neck.  A lot of babies hate tummy time and this way they're still getting it but don't even really know it.
  • TKG83 said:
    My pediatrician said that with every diaper change I should flip my son over on his stomach for at least 15 seconds. She said it adds up and will still strengthen his arms and neck.  A lot of babies hate tummy time and this way they're still getting it but don't even really know it.
    Thats what we do too. 
  • You could also try putting them on their tummy on a ball.
  • My lo also hated tummy time at 2 months, we just kept trying every day. Sometimes having him in the crib helped a little,( also more comfortable for mommie & daddy) but now all of a sudden at 13 weeks he doesn't mind & will spend quite a while hanging out before he gets tired of it & rolls onto his back. Just keep trying! :)