March 2016 Moms

What are you thoughts on water birth?

I would love to do it everyone says it won't be a good thing especially it being my first child and that the pain will be too much for me to handle

Re: What are you thoughts on water birth?

• Plenty of first time mamas have their babies without pain meds, I did! Don't let the naysayers get you down. From my experience, laboring in water provides some of the best natural pain relief, so I highly recommend it. I also recommend looking into other ways to naturally manage pain while in labor, because you don't want to get into the tub too early in your labor or it could stall labor progress.
  • I would do it if it were available at our hospital.  I can labor in the tub which I will definitely do.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Loading the player...
  • i really wanted to, however, it doesnt look like it'll be an option for me. i can stand in a shower during labour, but the hospital only has 1 tub & it's usually occupied 24/7. i was so sad :(
  • I think you should focus on what YOU are most comfortable with, and do that. Just smile at those who are telling you not to (they are just concerned, I'm sure) and make a plan that includes only those things that you want to do. If that's a water birth, then make that your plan. You are the only one who has to go through this, so the experience should be about your wants and needs. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Lots of people said the same thing to me with my first. It made me all the more determined to prove everyone wrong. ;) Two babies later and nobody doubts me now lol.

Both times I've not actually been able to deliver in the water, but the two things that get me through labor without meds are being in the birth tub and having my husband there to support me physically and emotionally. Find someone who supports and believes in you, whether that's your SO or a doula or a friend. There does come a point where you think "I CAN'T do this" and I think that's why so many women turn to the epidural or tell their FTM friends that they won't be able to handle it. But you can do it. Even when you think you can't, you can! And the water helps a lot. :)
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hospital has jacuzzi tubs in each room and I spent some time laboring in mine before I requested the epidural. I really liked it and it helped a lot, but after a certain point in time it wasn't enough (plus I got really hot and felt uncomfortable). I was being induced and had planned on an epidural, however.

Personally, I think giving birth in the water is too risky and it wouldn't interest me at all. But laboring in the water is great - I'm not sure I will this time as I'm hoping to get the epidural much earlier than last time.
  • Just ignore everyone telling you that you can't. They have no idea what you're capable of! I had my first without meds and I will be laboring, though not delivering, in the tub this time. I hope it helps, because the pain really is terrible, but you can get through it!
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • This was only just approved at 2 hospitals in our state and I was super excited about it... A recent major abdominal surgery may nix my plans on trying a water birth 6-8 weeks from now but I've heard from many people that it was a great natural pain reliever and that the sensation and ease to move in the water really helps to lower anxiety ! I'm from England where water births are and have been the norm for years... I am always told by midwives there though that they are a pain.. If you have access to a pool why not try it for a while even if you don't actually end up delivering in the pool... I'll be asking my obgyn about it at my next appointment
  • @amyid why do the midwives say the water births are a pain? 
    imageimage

• Most have said that a lot of people have "expectations" that didn't match up... Like magically expect pain to be super decreased... Wanted to get in and out of the tub too often... Then they got cold because they were wet...  They said basically atleast half of the women that ask for them are not in that right "zen" mind frame as far as breathing.. Letting it soothe you and taking that all in... It's def for people that can focus and go into it with the right frame of mind for sure... I'm starting to think I'm too weak for it !! 
  • @amyid Thanks for the clarification. That's very interesting and I think I would agree with this based on my own experience with the first. But I wonder if it's on the staff to educate the women who do want to try for one. I wish I had known this prior to attempting mine, so that I would have better expectations of how I can and have to manage my own experience. 
    imageimage