September 2015 Moms

Almost died due to Doctor not getting all the placenta out

i had an amazing labor and delivery experience especially for it being my first. But about a month after I ended up getting rushed to the hospital in an ambulance along with emergency surgery and a blood transfusion from losing so much blood. Let's just say I am so thankful and blessed to still be here with my amazing fiancé and beautiful little girl. This was such a traumatic experience for me and I was wondering if any other mommas have a similar experience they would like to share?

Re: Almost died due to Doctor not getting all the placenta out

• I didn't have any placenta left in but when my daughter was 3 weeks old I got super super sick and went to the ER and they said it was my gallbladder and I could have an elective surgery when they had time the next month. They gave me pain meds and I went home. About 2 hours later I woke up so much worse and we rushed back in I had pancreatitis and low kidney function but they were sure I didn't have any gallstones. I had to sit in the hospital for 5 days on pain meds because my pancreas was eating itself and they had to resolve that before I could have surgery. The day of surgery they opened me up and decided I did have stones and a major bulge in my duct that if it ruptured could kill me but they didn't have the right surgeon to remove it so I had to be sent to another hospital the next day for a second surgery. I'm so glad I made it out of there alive. It was a nightmare!
  • vibarra27vibarra27 member
    edited January 2016
    I had a bit of placenta & amniotic fluid left. Caused me to bleed for 12 weeks. Besides milk supply decreasing nothing serious. So glad you ladies are fine!
  • Loading the player...
  • Bc Lucy was "not vigorous" when she came out (blue and quiet) the dr yanked the umbilical cord that was wrapped around her so she could cut it quickly. (Not the plan). Lucy was then sent to the neonatologists where she scored a 3 on the apgar.  She also apparently inhaled some meconium. Another scary story for another day. 
    Meanwhile bc of the pulling I started hemorrhaging badly. My dr had to shove her entire arm in me to pull out and sop up blood clots. Two obs starting working on me then. Dosing me with all the meds I didn't want.  Did you know where cytotec is placed?! It was like a scene from The Shining, my doula took pictures- so much blood everywhere.
    They both then spent a full hour sewing my two grade 3 tears. Because of the blood loss I passed out twice and stayed in L&D for hours before they could move me. And then I got more IVs and catheterized. 
  • Oh my goodness, you poor ladies! I'm so glad you're all ok now!
  • Oh my goodness ladies! I'm glad we are all ok. On my ride to the hospital once I got there I had a blood clot in my pants that was bigger than a baseball. Also, I would spend about 2 hours everyday for about a week sitting on the toilet just letting the blood poor out. (All of the doctors said it was 'normal') when I got to the hospital they said "good thing you came in, otherwise you wouldn't of made it".
    Thanks Doc.
  • jcra7212 said:
    I didn't have any placenta left in but when my daughter was 3 weeks old I got super super sick and went to the ER and they said it was my gallbladder and I could have an elective surgery when they had time the next month. They gave me pain meds and I went home. About 2 hours later I woke up so much worse and we rushed back in I had pancreatitis and low kidney function but they were sure I didn't have any gallstones. I had to sit in the hospital for 5 days on pain meds because my pancreas was eating itself and they had to resolve that before I could have surgery. The day of surgery they opened me up and decided I did have stones and a major bulge in my duct that if it ruptured could kill me but they didn't have the right surgeon to remove it so I had to be sent to another hospital the next day for a second surgery. I'm so glad I made it out of there alive. It was a nightmare!
    Omg similair situation here too! I was DYING of pain in my stomach. When I finally went to the er I was diagnosed with acute pancreatits. I was in the hospital for 9 days with no food or drink and on diluadid. I ended up having my gallbladder removed on day 7. And then was back in the hospital the following week for 4 days with the same pain. It was seriously the worst stomach pain of my life. This was 6 weeks pp. 
  • I was in recovery and it was maybe 2-3
    hours after LO had been born when I started to hemmorage and they realized my uterus had not contracted because it was full of clots. I also had to have a manual DNC (graphic: but the doctor basically just reaches her arm up inside and pulls all the clots out... When she told me that was what she was going to do I almost didn't believe her) so she had to do that three times, with no pain meds ....And this was after they had stitched up my 3rd degree tear. That part was DEFINITELY more traumatic than anything that happened in my labor. The doctor just kept saying "don't look down" because there was so much blood.

I already talked to my doctor about why it happened and what we can do differently next time to try to avoid doing that again. I felt better after having that conversation. 

All I have to say after going through that and reading everyone's stories is DAMN women are made strong
  • My placenta didn't detach quickly enough and my uterus wasn't contracting so I had surgery about an hour after delivering. I lost a ton of blood but basically fell asleep for the whole surgery. My poor boyfriend was way more traumatized than I was lol. 
  • I had a pretty serious hemorrhage about an hour after delivery, due to neglectful care by a temporary nurse. The doctor had to remove multiple softball sized clots and blood was literally pouring out of me. That shitty nurse then failed to cleanly reinsert my catheter about 5 times (w/o any pain meds or epi so you can imagine how that felt).  It was nothing shy of traumatic and you better believe we complained! 

All ill is well now!