December 2015 Moms

Help With Diaper Sizing

I couldn't find a thread on this and don't remember seeing one. I think there was one not too long ago on clothes sizes... Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. DD is 9lbs 6oz and wears Pampers Swaddlers. She's starting to outgrown the newborn size but the size 1's are still huge on her. I tried to put her in size 1 for about a week but yesterday morning she had poop all down her leg because the leg holes are huge on her! We put her back in newborn since they still fit and keep everything in. Since we've only ever used Pampers I'm not sure what other brands are like. Has anyone noticed if some other diapers like Huggies or Luvs or Babyganics etc run large or small? Is there another brand that has a good size between newborn and 1? Huggies website says their newborn goes up to 9lbs but people online say their newborn size runs bigger than Pampers, but Pampers are supposed to fit up to 10lbs! I'm heading to Babies R Us tomorrow so I'd love some opinions... Thanks! 

Re: Help With Diaper Sizing

• We found that huggies little snugglers newborns are slightly larger than pampers swaddlers. My daughter is about 4 oz heavier than your daughter and in size 1s, so don't buy too many (she'll outgrow the newborns quickly).
  • Every time I think I've got it figured out, nope. No matter what size or brand we put on DD everything slides right down off her butt.

With DS we changed between brands with different sizes but mostly looked at fit and where he was developmentally (It seemed like his needs as far as fit changes with things like crawling and walking). Huggies is good if they tend to blow up the back. Right now pampers seem to fit DD the best around the waist as it comes up a bit higher but Huggies fit better around her chunky thighs. The luvs I've tried seemed a good in between (I just can't stand that they crinkle and show through light colored clothing).

Sorry if I'm not much help with this right now but try to focus more on how they fit than weight range with size. Proportions can really alter things. Because of DD's thighs we're actually finding some size 2 stuff fits her even though she's below the size range. The small packages are also great for demoing a new brand or size. Sometimes we'll get a few different ones and cycle through them throughout the day for better comparison.
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is a little over 10 pounds and wears size 1 pampers swaddlers and size 1 Huggies snugglers. Personally since changing to size 1 I prefer the Huggies. I had been buying pampers but we got Huggies at baby shower so I tried them out. I feel they hug my little guy tighter around his waste and we don't get any leaks or blow outs. I find with the pampers we would get leaks up the top and his clothes would get damp. 
  • I was always told, "don't buy too many newborn diapers... They grow out of them so fast!" Haha! We got one big box and then bought soft small packs and every time we buy a new small pack we swear it'll be the last one! I think I'm going to try a small pack of Huggies newborn and see how they work. I agree about the Luvs, my sister tried my nephew in them and I hated how they crinkled! 
  • I have found you cannot go by the weight listed for sizes, every brand is different and each has a different capacity for liquids. DS was out of NB sized diapers in the hospital @ 9.12lbs, the nurses put him into pampers swaddlers size 1. About 2 weeks ago he started to have leaks so I tried him in the luvs size 1s I had received at my shower. Luvs runs bigger than pampers. They do crinkle a little at first, but DS hasn't complained. Now he's in the Honest brand size 2s that I had gotten (Honest is really small). They're super cute looking and work well but much too expensive to buy for me personally. 
  • @katielwells When you put a diaper on him do you point his penis down? Itay sound weird but with DS that alone stopped him peeing up the front of the diaper.
  • DD is 9.14lbs and NBs are too small. Size 1s are too large. I love pampers but we are using Huggies. They are okay, not great. It's really hit or miss. I have to put it on just right or she'll make a huge mess.
  • @katielwells When you put a diaper on him do you point his penis down? Itay sound weird but with DS that alone stopped him peeing up the front of the diaper.
    This!  My son was leaking out his diaper all of the time, and my sister who has a son asked if I was pointing his penis down like it was a known fact that I should be doing this. Once I started doing this all of the leaking stopped. 

I I also use pampers swaddlers and am surprised that the size ones don't fit. DD was 8 lbs 15 oz and we started out with size ones and never used the newborn size. She is 8 weeks and we just started using size two.  Maybe try putting it on tighter than you think is necessary to make the leg holes tighter and see if that helps with the leaking. 
  • We moved up to size 1 at 5 weeks old because we ran out of nb and had tons of size 1. DD is still in newborn clothes but I find the diapers fit well as long as I have them on snug. Like pulled up to her belly button and the tabs meet in the middle. They don't fit perfectly but we only get blow outs with particularly forceful, large poops. 
  • taysun said:
    We moved up to size 1 at 5 weeks old because we ran out of nb and had tons of size 1. DD is still in newborn clothes but I find the diapers fit well as long as I have them on snug. Like pulled up to her belly button and the tabs meet in the middle. They don't fit perfectly but we only get blow outs with particularly forceful, large poops. 
    This. DS was always really lean with thick, muscular thighs. We have to fit diapers for his thighs and sometimes that means him looking like Urkel in his diaper and he's never been able to wear a diaper without the tabs overlapping.
  • ammnam14 said:
    DD is 9.14lbs and NBs are too small. Size 1s are too large. I love pampers but we are using Huggies. They are okay, not great. It's really hit or miss. I have to put it on just right or she'll make a huge mess.
    @ammnam14 I found Huggies dry and fit suck! But I love Huggies snugglers. Weird how the same brand can produce such different qualities.
  • @Mizuiro007 @KRH6829 I have never thought of this I don't know why!! I will try this with his next diaper!!! 
  • Pampers swaddlers fit Henry's thunder thighs pretty well, but we have to pull the tabs tighter than other diapers to fit his belly. We found Luv's to be too snug on his legs so maybe try a small package of those? I didn't care for how the material felt but they seemed to hold up well. Huggies seem to run longer than Pampers and he has a short torso with thick limbs, so they tend to leak. 
  • My guy keeps leaking out of Pampers Swaddlers size 1. He is over 11 pounds. I remember this happening with DS 1 and that's when I switched to Target brand. They worked wonderfully and seem to run a tad bit big. 
  • DD has tiny little legs... She's skinny too so I have to pull the tabs over so far that they overlap on each other and the leg holes turn into high cuts. I found one random Huggies size 1 snugglers in a box at home and tried it this morning and they fit her legs soooo much better! I went and got a box of 100 Huggies today. Thanks for all your input! 
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited January 2016
    We use Honest Company. Olive has been in size 1s since she was about 7 1/2 lbs. She's around 10lbs now (just under 2 months) and they're starting to feel snug even though the box claims they will suit her up to 14 lbs. I imagine she'll be out of them by 12 lbs which is weird. She's neither long nor big. 

I honestly think babies are like any other human and body types vary from child to child. I also think the diaper measurements are totally random. Olive also had an awkward inbetween stage between newborns and size 1. Also between preemie and newborns.

FYI Olive started life with Pampers swaddlers since the organic diapers didn't come in preemie sizes and Olive needed preemies. She was wearing preemies until about 7lbs which is NOT a preemie sized child.
  • We use Honest Company. Olive has been in size 1s since she was about 7 1/2 lbs. She's around 10lbs now (just under 2 months) and they're starting to feel snug even though the box claims they will suit her up to 14 lbs. I imagine she'll be out of them by 12 lbs which is weird. She's neither long nor big. 

I honestly think babies are like any other human and body types vary from child to child. I also think the diaper measurements are totally random. Olive also had an awkward inbetween stage between newborns and size 1. Also between preemie and newborns.

FYI Olive started life with Pampers swaddlers since the organic diapers didn't come in preemie sizes and Olive needed preemies. She was wearing preemies until about 7lbs which is NOT a preemie sized child.
    Yeah, babies body shapes definitely do vary. My son is 11lbs and outgrowing size 2s. We use pampers but the size 3s we have are Luvs. If they're too big on him when the 2s run out, we'll probably buy a pack of pampers in size 3 
  • The Huggies diaper I found must have been the old model because they look totally different than the ones I bought today and are just as big as the Pampers *sigh* I hope she doesn't have a blow out tonight!
  • We found the same thing when DS went from NB Pamper Swaddlers to Size 1. I found that the Size 1 Pampers Baby Dry were a little smaller, so I used those and then moved back to Swadlers Size 1 after he grew a little more. 
  • Pampers swaddlers were decent for Q. I've got him in Huggies size 1 right now and they seem kind of large. He's got skinny legs, so I don't think we will be using those again after this package is done. We had some sample Honest Co. and they were fine.. Our favorite is the HEB or Target store brand! Worst ones so far have been Walmart's cheap ones - people's choice, I think - and the Huggies we are in now.  The Walmart ones were just thin! Blowouts at night cos it was too full kind of things. 
  • The Huggies diaper I found must have been the old model because they look totally different than the ones I bought today and are just as big as the Pampers *sigh* I hope she doesn't have a blow out tonight!

@navyblueladybug

Both Pampers and Huggies make a basic and premium version of diaper. The basic versions are called Baby Dry for Pampers, and Snug & Dry for Huggies (I believe). They are usually the same price per package as the Swaddlers and Snugglers, but because they don't have any of the fancy features, they have more diapers per package. They tend to fit differently as well, but I can't remember which fits bigger/smaller.

Maybe the one you found was the other kind? If not, it might be worth trying. I don't think the basic versions are a lower quality compared to the premium ones...just more basic. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We use pampers for DS.  I get Swaddlers when I have a coupon which makes them cheaper than the baby dry but will also use baby dry.  I prefer the softness of the Swaddlers.   He is 12 lbs 9 oz at 8 weeks and is still in size 1s.  He outgrew nb at 9 and a half lbs.  we tried luvs as well as up and up but they both have him blisters on his pee pee
  •  @elbou I wish I'd known that before the baby dry is plasticy and doesn't breathe...I switched back to swaddlers but I have to finish the box of baby dry I'm on and I have an entire box in the next size :(
  • @TomekiaB if you have an unopened box of pampers or huggies WalMart will exchange for a different size or give you a Walmart gift card with refund so you can purchase a different brand without a receipt.  Learned that after my first baby where I had boxes and boxes of NB sized diapers but my kid was 9.5lbs, 24" long at birth and blessed with her daddy's bubble butt so the NICU had to put her in 2's (which they had to run out to find since the majority of babies there were tiny little premies).  

I used to use Luvs exclusively with kid #1 after she was about a year old.  Then we had kid #2 and I switched to cloth.  I'm back to disposables with #3 because the amount of laundry I have is ridiculous and I just don't have time to wash and dry diapers for two kids right now (though it would be so so so SO much cheaper).  Anyways, I never noticed the Luvs "crinkling" so I found it weird that everyone here commented on that.  Maybe I couldn't hear it over my daughter's constant chatter lol 

In terms of sizing - I've found pampers to be the roomiest and Luvs to be the smallest.  My girls have big butts and my son ... well he is shaped more like the WB frog so the pampers were great for the first two as newborns and awful for this guy.  Huggies is what I have found works best with him.  Well, actually Luvs fit him a bit better but I have a Costco membership and Huggies is what they carry so we make it work lol  (I was also fascinated by the "Which way are you pointing his penis?" discussion - I had no idea that would make a difference but it makes sense!  I am constantly peeling Little Man's pecker off of his balls - so charming - so directionally his just naturally points down so I guess that's why it's not been an issue for us.)