June 2016 Moms

Work that belly, girl! Maternity clothes?

SoEnamoredSoEnamored member
edited January 2016 in June 2016 Moms
Feeling the frump that comes with pregnancy and winter.  Looking for style inspiration.  Are there any maternity clothes you've got your eye on?  Please share! As someone said to me when I was about half way through pregnancy with DS1, "Work that belly, girl!"

Re: Work that belly, girl! Maternity clothes?

• Blahhhh no advice here. I look homeless no matter what I do. I'm not big enough to be cute and pregnant but am bigger than I was. I just look frumpy and aweful
  • Agree with @alysemciver I just look like a bag lady (no offense to any bag ladies out there).
  • Loading the player...
  • You guys are hilarious! Honestly, I prefer tops that have a tie under the bust. I know they're a bit more "cutesy" which is not my regular style, but they definitely serve to make the bump more prominent. 
  • A lot of maternity shirts in my size make me look less pregnant than I am, but I got a couple on zulily that are really cute.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Plus size maternity shirts are really terrible looking. I'm still wearing my regular clothes, not sure what I'm going to do when they don't fit anymore. 
  • I do Stitch Fix and have gotten some cute things.
    37 y/o
    Married 9/1/13
    Off OCP 3/1/14
    TTC 6/1/14
    DX Endometriosis in 2002
    Laparoscopy 2002 and 2007
    HSG 8/2014, right tube partially blocked
    1st BFP 1/5/15 EDD 9/12/15- miscarried 1/8/15
    BFP 10/5/15 EDD 6/17/16- delivered healthy girl 6/18/16
    BFP 8/4/16 EDD 3/2/18- trisomy 18 girl- no heartbeat 8/25/17 at 13 weeks d&c 8/28/17
    BFP 12/4/17 EDD 8/19/18

• I agree with feeling like a constant frump. The only thing that makes me feel better is to do my makeup and hair, and sometimes wear a very prominent necklace or scarf to draw attention away from what to others probably just looks like I put on some weight rather than a precious bump.
  • ASOS is having a big maternity sale...
  • I have more of simple style and have a bunch of the fitted tees that are stretchy. They're cute and so comfy. 

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a bit of a meltdown yesterday and bought a new cover everything sweater for work yesterday. 

I'm not big enough for my maternity work clothes, and out of my regular clothes... So I'm going to hunt down some jersey midi dresses and wear them under longer blazers. I work in a professional setting so i think this will work as a uniform (inspired by kim k) and be comfy.

Time to break out the bump! 
  • Also definitely need to do more hair makeup and jewelry... I'm going to wear more big necklaces etc. 
  • Sooo frustrating! I have to look nice for work even though I want to wear yoga pants and hoodies . My biggest frustration right now is my boobs honestly ! What are these girls doing !?!? My "normal" shirts don't fit over my boobs anymore but are mostly fine around my belly . So I went to buy more maternity shirts but my belly doesn't justify the bigger shirt that fits my boobs ... No idea how people with size DD and up find clothes . Hope this awkward stage ends soon. Sorry I gave you zero advice , just vented with you :) 
  •  I finally just bought a pair of Jessica Simpson maternity jeans and I absolutely love them. I tend to do leggings and tight maternity shirt with a long sweater over it.  I also got some shirts with the tie under the bust.  I tried wearing the bellyband with my jeans but it just wouldn't stay I praye I tried wearing the bellyband with my jeans but it just wouldn't stay  up.  I can still fit into my heavier weight jeans, but when sitting down they are just too tight on my stomach.
  • I just got a cute basic dress for work in the forever21 plus size section. Will be great for work with a blazer. Also having good luck with a couple of high waistband super stretchy pencil skirts (in a size up) 

Basically clothes I would normally wear but bigger and stretchier!
  • I wear leggings almost everyday, with some type of shirt (either maternity or just larger sized) that covers my butt, with a scarf and usually a long sweater or vest. Paired with boots, toms, or high top sneakers. It's the only way I feel both cute and comfortable.
  • PinkBlush Maternity has some really cute maternity clothes. Pretty affordable too IMO! I've also been keeping an eye on the daily Zulily deals - they always have maternity clothes at a discounted price. 
  • I'm having the same issue. I think my Bump is still mostly fluff and not baby. FTM 20+5 so I think it's normal to not really have an obvious bump yet. Leggings and shirts with sweaters are my go to at this point. I'm a property manager, but in low income housing so it's pretty relaxed dress code, plus I work with all women who would probably never bring up wardrobe to a pregnant women. They have been supporitve. Ditto to the trying to accessorize more.
  • I basically lived in (non maternity) long tanks with cardigans and cute necklaces or earrings with my first. Pair with jeans, pencil skirts, dress pants, and you're good to go!
  • @mrsschmity @meggyme Did you guys have trouble with the size charts on zulily maternity stuff? I ordered one awhile back that fit my measurements according to their chart, but could have fit two of me inside of it when it got here. Maybe I was looking at it wrong? I'm scared to order anything else though since their stuff isn't easily returnable.
  • @aloha5736: I've been on the hunt for maternity jeans that fit, and I just bought a pair of Jessica Simpsons today. Love them!
  • @chelseay416 so far everything I've bought fit (so far only shirts). I've been getting larges and while they still have some room in the belly, I've been pretty satisfied with the fit. Their shipping however takes FOREVER.... Can't beat 8 items for $100 though.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • CopperLaneCopperLane member
    edited February 2016
    I second the Jessica Simpson jeans. I LOVE mine, the elastic band is amazing and they fit so close to my skinny Levi's. They also feel like jeans and are long enough for my long legs. 

My MIL got me some maternity tops from target and they are super cute. They make the bump look cute, even when I was just showing. They aren't super bunched up on the sides, so they don't make you look all awkward with a small bump. 
  • Sorry that I posted and ran on this one.   Your responses cracked me up.  Yes, we're sort of at that weird stage for maternity clothes  - not quite big enough for the tents, not small enough to get away with all of our regular clothes.  Today, I'm wearing a camisole under a blousy shirt - the cami keeps riding up over my belly.  Oh, how cute!  Will check out the JS jeans!!
  • I love Asos for tops and dresses! I grabbed a maternity bundle online that had a black jersey maternity dress, pencil skirt, leggings and a tank top/tunic, and it's been a lifesaver. Also, H&M maternity jeggings are the bombdotcom.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 10/25/13. EDD: 06/18/14. Confirmed MC: 11/06/13.

BFP #2: 3/31/14. EDD: 12/2/14 Born: 12/9/14

BFP #3: 10/5/15 EDD: 6/10/16 Born: 6/13/16

BFP #4: 8/20/15 EDD: 4/26/18
  • Live in leggings. I usually wear tighter shirts. I hate wearing anything loose, it makes me feel like I look bigger. 
  • Motherhood makes GREAT skinny jeans & thick cozy leggings! Great quality & style... Usually pair eeeeverything with a long tight tank (to show off the belly) a moto jacket & low booties. It's my new uniform ha!