July 2016 Moms
Options

So many things to put the baby in!

So I am getting really overwhelmed with all these big things I am supposed to get to put the baby in...rock n play, pack n play, bouncer, swing, bassinet... Please help me understand their different purposes. Besides a crib, what do I really need?? 

Re: So many things to put the baby in!

• Options
    Depends on a lot of things. For one, how big is your room if you plan to have baby in it? We just put the crib in our room. We didn't want to waste money on something to be used for a few months. We also have a SIDS related death in our extended family and only a crib is held to high standards as far as SIDS safety goes for a place to sleep so we felt better playing it very safe. If you need something smaller for your room, a lot of people use either a rock n play or a bassinet. I don't see a reason to have both. Either a swing or a bouncer can be nice for when you need to put baby down (swings are more soothing). I liked that we got a low to the floor cheap/portable swing so that it was easy to move from room to
    room and didn't take up a lot of space. Also, DD was colicky and demanded to be held all of the time so the swing was for when I had to put her down, but she didn't get near the use of it that another baby might. Makes me glad we didn't spend more money on something more elaborate. Also, if baby might nap or spend nights away with grandparents or elsewhere, a pack n play is very useful to have. If you don't expect that, then not necessary. We don't have one and have not ever missed it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Most parents choose to have the baby sleep in their room early on and therefore have a portable option such as a bassinet/pack n play/rock n play. From what I have read (FTM here so don't kill the messenger) a bouncer and swing should be used based on need throughout the day like when you need to shower or baby is fussy and you need a minute versus for a long period of time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel you. Then I'm like do I need one of these or two of these? It gives me a headache. I'm buying two cribs and using one to put them both in next to my bed as a modified co-sleeper until I transition them. I registered for two swings and two bouncers because I don't even know. My thought was one might be more portable to take with us as the swings are large but that the swings would be nice for nap time especially since it'll be hard to rock them both at the same time. I do not plan on getting a pack and play. My nephew never used the one he had and they can sleep in the bouncer or swing if upstairs. 

I'm sure my needs may be different than a singleton though so I'm sure the ladies here will have great advice 
  • Options
    @jlgriff11 I think twin moms are miracle workers and you do what you have to survive. I imagine there's a special place in heaven for you. I just want to caution you in case you are not aware that sleeping in swings for extended periods of time is not recommended because of SIDS and a concern that upright a baby's floppy neck could constrict their airway. Like I said earlier we had a cousin lose her son to SIDS, so I am cautious and know moms have to do what they are comfortable with and works best for your family.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    if you only get one baby-holding contraption, I'd recommend the rock n play. i loved the rock n play for naps and even for sleeping in overnight since the angle seemed to help him sleep more soundly.  BUT it's not really officially recommended for sleeping (b/c of sids) and can definitely cause flat head.  Because it folds, it's great for traveling--we were able to take it to grandparents' house when we were there during nap times.  Keep baby strapped in and follow the weight restrictions---as soon as baby can wriggle out, it's really dangerous.  

Bouncers and swings are great for when you want to put baby down to get stuff done.  We had a vibrating bouncer that we kept upstairs that I used mainly when I really needed a shower.  If you have a multi-story house, you'll be amazed how many things you'll want/wish you could put on each level because sleepily trudging up and down stairs with an infant is surprisingly tough.

We also had a Leachco Cuddle-U that was a great place to plop baby during the day and it doubles as a tummy time prop. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    @jlgriff11 I think twin moms are miracle workers and you do what you have to survive. I imagine there's a special place in heaven for you. I just want to caution you in case you are not aware that sleeping in swings for extended periods of time is not recommended because of SIDS and a concern that upright a baby's floppy neck could constrict their airway. Like I said earlier we had a cousin lose her son to SIDS, so I am cautious and know moms have to do what they are comfortable with and works best for your family.
    Oh! Well I just assumed I'd have them in it for short naps, but maybe not. I'll have to do some research. Thanks! 
  • Options
    I recommend a rnp and crib. Our kids have slept in the rnp until we moved them to their crib at 6 mos or older. I move the rnp around the house. Only used our travel pnp on vaca one time. 
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• Options
    We used a bedside co-sleeper in our room until DS was about 4 months old. I loved that for nighttime feelings, it was so easy to have him right there and to have a safe place to put him when it was all I could do to get him in the co-sleeper before I passed out in exhaustion.

I used a bouncer for short naps on different levels of the house and when I was showering. We tried to get away without a swing but ended up buying one a few weeks in. DS was colicky and we would use the swing to soothe him to sleep and then move him to his co-sleeper/crib. But you don't use them for long so if you can get away without one, do it!

We bought a pack and play but specifically to leave at my mom's house so DS had somewhere to sleep there. We took it with us on vacation a half dozen times over the past couple years. But they are useful for other places to keep baby contained too like the back yard in summer if you're gardening or we even took ours to an outdoor function in a park in the evening. 
  • Options
    We had the crib in my daughter's room, the pack'n'play in our room (for the first few months and then took it with us on trips) and a swing downstairs in the living room. DD did sleep in the swing but only when we were on the couch next to her. I wish we had registered for the Arms Reach co sleeper instead of the pack'n'play. 
  • Options
    We had a pack n' play and rarely used it with our first two. The only time we did use it was for vacations/trips, so I do not think we will be buying one this time. We did use the swing all the time with both, so we will definitely be purchasing a new one this time around. We sold all of our baby items years ago so it feels like we are starting all over. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a regular bassinet for my older 2, then had a rock n play for a short while for my youngest. I switched to a pack n play as a bassinet in my room (but she was so attached I could barely put her down) and moved it to the living room when we got her a crib. I had a pack n play for all and I consider it a must have, I used it a TON, even when they were older for travel. Bouncers were mostly for the bathroom for all 3 because none of them really liked it but they tolerated it, lol. Swings were ok, something to give them a change of scenery if I needed both hands. They make different kinds that have a much smaller footprint now so that's nice! It's a little hard to plan ahead because you're not sure what they'll like but I'd get a pack n play and a bouncer at least. 
  • Options
    A rock and play, a swing and a crib. Ds had reflux and slept in rock and play until 3 months in our room til we transitioned to crib. And swing was in the living room for soothing and getting crap done. We have only used to pack and play when we go to out of town. 
  • Options
    I felt the same way and I ended up with: a crib, rock and play, swing, bouncer and pack and play. I could've done without the bouncer, personally. Crib we used from about 3 months on, but the life saver was the rock and play. DD slept in the rock and play until around 3 months in our room. The swing was used for down time during the day and was probably DD's favorite place to lounge. Pack and play was good for setting the baby down in a place that wasn't close to the floor, especially if you have animals. We obviously never left DD alone with our dog but it was nice having her in an area where he didn't go sniff her or try to lick her. The pack and play also had a changing table which is where all diaper changes happened so we didn't have to go up to her room. Bouncer didn't get used much, but you never know what kind of things your baby will like. If price is a worry, you can definitely find used products for much cheaper at consignment stores, too. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    I registered for a rnp, packnplay, swing, and a bouncer.  I used them all except the bouncer (DS didn't like vibrations).  I could have done without the pack-n-play also... but it was really nice for when we visited other people and they didn't have a crib.  
    Anniversary: 10/10/09
    DS: 11/21/14
    DD: 7/5/16

• Options
    With DD we kept her in the sleeper part of the Pack N Play in our bedroom until she hit the weight limit on it (around 4 months) then she slept in her crib in her room. We then moved the Pack and Play to the living room, but didn't really use it until she became a bit more mobile and needed to put her in there for a few minutes if I needed to shower, etc. DD hated her swing, so that was a big waste of money! We also had a bouncy chair thing (I'm not really sure what it is, similar to a rock and play but closer to the ground) and it had a vibrate option on it, DD loved this and it calmed her down if she was fussy. 

With this baby, we are in a different house, and I would like to keep the Pack N Play in our living room, and get a Rock and Play to keep in our bedroom (our room is smaller than our previous house), until the baby transitions to the crib. 
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to add that it was nice having the Pack N Play for overnight trips....as DD got older ( about 10 months and up) we would bring the Pack and Play for her to sleep in the hotel. We go to the beach every year, and it was nice to have the Pack and Play at a rental house which of course is not child proof, so we could put DD in for a bit without fear that she would get into something.
  • Options
    I like to have a pack and play in the living room, call me lazy, but it's great for when they are napping, needing a diaper change, or I need to get stuff done, and I don't want to hike up a flight of steps to the nursery. Then you also have it to pack up when you go out of town.  

We bought a bassinet second hand ($35) for our bedroom because of space restrictions. I knew I would be nursing and for me it's easier having baby in our room those first few months when they are up every 2-3 hours. We also had a portable swing and a bouncy seat. Both can be bought used (if you don't get them as shower gifts) for cheap, it's especially nice saving some money when you don't know what your baby is going to enjoy. I liked the movement of the swing and the how portable the bouncy seat is, like when I am in the shower or cooking in the kitchen. The portable swing is great because of it's size and it can be folded up and put away or packed for travel. My last baby was almost 10 years ago, so the RNP wasn't invented yet, but I have heard and keep reading great things. I don't think we will be getting one right away, unless the swing/bouncer don't seem to work for our baby. I've also considered getting a mamaroo (also not invented yet 10 years ago) in place of a portable swing and bouncy seat, but I am torn on that because of the investment. 

At the end of the day, I think it's all personal preference, what your baby enjoys (which you unfortunately don't know before they're born) and how much space you have. We are fairly minimal with baby gear, so I like to consider functionality, cost, and how much space it takes up. 
  • Options
    quartz02quartz02 member
    edited February 2016
    DD slept in Rock N Play for 4 months then a Pack-n-Play in our room. We had a crib in another room that we only used for naps. I bought both a swing and a bouncer for the living room but she really only liked the bouncer. Our swing got zero use. Every kid is different though, so I'm keeping just in case #2 prefers that!

I really loved the Rock N Play for moving from room to room with me, especially if she was sleeping. (we lived in a small, one-level apt. I wouldn't try to move a child in something like that up/down stairs.)

ETA: pediatrician recommended we use the Rock-N-Play several times when DD was congested and having a hard time sleeping at night. We used it occasionally all the way up to the maximum weight limit.
  • Options
    Rock-n-Play. I was so against one, I didn't think it was cute or that we needed it. Someone gave me a hand-me-down one and I immediately put it in a closet.

Buuuuuuut my daughter slept in it every night until she was about 4 months old. It's so light, you can easily take it down the hall with you to the shower, etc. (You are not supposed to move it with the baby it in, but um, if the baby's sleeping, I'm so doing it. Common sense plz)

I bought a beautiful Moses basket and rocker from Restoration Hardware and kept it downstairs in my house, and she'd nap there while I was doing things downstairs. It was good having a place for her to sleep both upstairs or down, because teeny babies fall asleep just about anywhere/any time!
  • Options
    What we actually used:
    -crib
    -pack n play/bassinet (if was a 2 in 1 - she slept in the bassinet for the first few months, and we still use the pack n play on trips)
    -swing (could have done without this - but it saved my sanity for about a month before DD got sick of it, so I count it worth the money)
    -bouncy chair (got lots of use out of this)
    -jolly jumper (could have done without this - DD loved it but we didn't set it up very often. It clipped over a door frame so we didn't keep it up permanently or else we wouldn't have been able to shut the door)

The difficulty with this question is a lot of it depends on the kid and you often don't know what they'll love/hate until you've already bought it! If you can borrow stuff to see if baby likes it (particularly bouncy chair, swing, those types of things) before you buy that's ideal. I had a friend spend HUGE money on a super fancy swing, and her DD hated it so they never used it.
  • Options
    I want to add that every hotel we've ever stayed at has been able to offer a pack n play or travel crib, although you don't know what kind of condition it will be in. We never had any problems though except for housekeeping setting it up incorrectly, so just be sure to check it out.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We ended up with:
    *Pack'n'Play: We travel a lot and I always find the hotel ones gross, or they don't offer them. DD also slept in her's for the first 8 weeks.
    *Swing: Had the Fisher Price Snuggabunny. This time around, we have the Mamaroo so it would be more portable between floors
    *Jumperoo: for entertainment at our house
    *Exersaucer: At my work, because there was nowhere else for her to go, so it kept her contained. If we were just at home, I would have skipped the exersaucer and just went with the jumperoo.
    *Bouncer: I don't find that this is a "must" but we had a small bathroom and it was nice to put her in it (in the bathroom), so I could take a shower. 
    *Rock'n'Play: I didn't have this the first time (they had just come out when DD was born), but everyone swears by them. Since DD was a crappy sleeper at first (she didnt like to lay flat), I figured that I would give this a shot. It will also be awesome to take if my parents or the IL's are watching the kids for a couple of hours, instead of packing up the whole Pack'n'Play. We are also going to be traveling a few weeks after baby is born, so we are going to take that instead of the Pack'n'Play (obviously once baby is too big for the Rock'n'Play, we will switch and start taking the Pack'n'Play with us out of town). 

I will say that you can get away with not having a lot. I nanny twins and they didn't have any bouncers, swings, bumbos, rock'n'play, etc. They had one exersaucer and that was it. We all still survived! 
    - crib (We moved DS into his crib at 6 weeks.)
    - pack-n-play + bassinet (DS slept in the bassinet for naps and evenings through 6 weeks - the pnp lived in our living room. Since then we moved it up to our bedroom where DS will sit and play while I get ready for work. He'll also sleep in there when he's not feeling well.)
    - rock-n-play (I didn't buy one initially, but found one in good condition on a swap & sell site when he was a few months old. This thing was my savior whenever DS was congested! I could have him in our room to listen to him breathing, and he got some relief by being able to sleep at an incline.)
    - swing (DS loved his swing - it was a change of scenery for him and a safe place for him to spend time when I needed both hands.)
    - activity seat (DS's little thighs were too chubby to fit in his Bumbo, so instead we got a LOT of use out of this activity seat once his neck muscles were strong enough to hold his head up. https://www.amazon.com/Summer-3-Stage-Infant-Positioner-Activity/dp/B00H4E9WLI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454441025&sr=8-2&keywords=infant+activity+chair)
    - exersaucer (Again, once DS could hold his head up well, he enjoyed hanging out in his exersaucer. SIL was generous enough to loan us my nephew's.)

Things we didn't use:
    - bouncy seat (We received one from a friend, and DS didn't hate it... just didn't LOVE it like I'd been led to believe all babies do.)
    - jumparoo (PT explicitly told us not to buy a jumparoo as it has been linked to children developing toe-walking. We know tons of kids who have loved their jumparoos and don't walk on their toes, but we refrained anyway.)
    - Bumbo (See above!)

Just wanted to second @betheliz 's point regarding SIDS and flat head. DS was content wherever we put him; however, everything other than his crib had some form of incline. He started to favor leaning his head toward the right/resting his chin on his right shoulder. He developed a flat spot on the the back-right side of his head and had the beginnings of torticollis. Once his pediatrician made note of it at his 4-month appointment, we were proactive and were able to correct it with re-positioning him in his crib/wherever he fell asleep, doing lots of exercises and some physical therapy to strengthen his neck muscles affected. We also ended up buying him a head/neck support - think airplane neck pillow for babies (https://www.amazon.com/Benbat-Travel-Friends-Baby-Support/dp/B0058JBCJQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1454440519&sr=8-14&keywords=infant+neck+support). He loved sleeping in his car seat, so this helped ensure that he would keep his neck straight. Just something to be aware of!
  • Options
    I had never heard that jumperoo's could cause kids to tiptoe. We had one, all of my family members kids have had them, and all of my friends kids have had them....none walk on their toes. My nanny kid is three and walks on his toes (he sees a PT and we have to do leg/ankle stretches with him), they never owned a jumperoo, only an exersaucer (and he wasn't even in it that often). 
    It really depends on your kid. Some kids like swings, some like bouncers, some like neither. We used the bouncer most; I'd put it in the bathroom with me when I showered. (DH was deployed the first year so there was no way I'd have gotten to actually shower without it.)

Our daughter slept in her swing for 4 months but after that, we didn't touch it. It was really hard to transition her into sleeping in a bed, too. If you're going for the basics, I'd skip the swing. 

We never used a rock n play or a bassinet, but a pack n play was essential for us when we traveled home. 
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice! I have been scouring Amazon while reading these and have decided on registering for a pack n play/bassinet combo for in our room and to travel with, and a rock n play for wherever I happen to be (two story house plus basement). And a crib of course. If I find a good deal on a swing or bouncer at a consignment sale or find one to borrow I may go that route.
  • Options
    @soberkfell My daughter has torticollis too, but she was born with it we just didn't realize for a few months (then we looked through pictures and felt dumb!) She is 16 months and still in PT. She was almost done and then fractured her leg on her weak side and got a lot worse again. :-(
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @whataboutscience I hope she is on the mend soon! Children are so resilient - I'm sure she'll bounce back in no time. :smile:

@PhoebeJune1984 We know plenty of people who rave about the jumparoo and none of their children seem to walk on their toes, but we were first-time parents and DS was already going through PT... we didn't want to chance having to work through something else that might have been avoided.
  • Options
    I used our Rock n Play, cosleeper, and bouncers. I bought three cheap bouncers at consignment sales. We have a tri-level house and I had a landing spotspot on every level. That was really helpful. I wore her a lot and plan to babywear again.

We didn't own a pack n play and never used our swing. She wasn't into it. 
  • Options
    Reviving this to ask a potentially stupid question. Forgiveness requested in advance!

What brand/model is the Rock 'n Play? When I Google search, I find both Fisher-Price and Graco versions. Within the brands, I'm also seeing various iterations/models, including some which have been recalled for safety issues. 

Does anyone have a link to the latest and greatest which I can use as a reference point to see if I can find local stockists? I'd be very grateful.

I'm thinking a next-to-me crib and Rock 'n Play might be the best suited starting gear for us.
  • Options
    @Kannerush I registered for the Fisher Price Platinum Deluxe edition. I don't think these were around with all the bells and whistles when DS was little (6 years ago), but my friend who just had a baby in December swears by it as a great all-in-one/portable thingy. I used a vibrating bouncer with DS but he hated the fancy swing we had so I never used it. This give rocking, vibrating, sleeping, and music entertainment all for about $100 new. Worth it to me since each kid is different and might prefer different features. This way you're not stuck with 3 or 4 large items and only 1 or 2 s/he actually uses.
  • Options
    Thanks @LadyFleck - I'll check it out! Sounds perfect.
  • Options
    Awesome - thanks @quartz02 for that link. It looks perfect.

Urgh though. Should have got one in Ireland before I left. Can't get it in South Africa by the looks of things. Feckity feck. I might find something similar, but not Fisher-Price. I've emailed them in the meantime to see if they have any stockists in darkest Africa at all!  :p