Baby Names

Opinion on Colt

js8812js8812 member
edited January 2016 in Baby Names
Looking for opinions of the name Colt.  The middle name is undecided, but will likely be Tracy.  Our last name rhymes with Tyler.

Re: Opinion on Colt

• I don't like. I instantly think of beer.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • I think 3 ninjas, and then the backwoods "cool" name association kicks in.
  • NMS. Are you looking for a country-ish type name? 
  • Thanks!  I have to admit I was probably thinking a lot of that in the back of my head.  My husband really likes that name and he is very drawn to more "tough guy" names.  I like more masculine names, but don't like the names that are trying way too hard to be tough.

Other names on our short list are Brooks Lee and Beau Robert.  We have a hard time agreeing on any times.  Ugh, it's so hard!
  • Not a fan. Sounds like a nickname. Maybe consider Colton? 
  • I think it's officially off the list.  I just need to tell my H that now.

@mthoomom Good suggestion, although I don't really see the point in naming someone a longer name only to call them something else the whole time anyway.
  • I like Beau Robert, not bad. Much better than Colt or Brooks.
  •  I like Brooks.  I have a friend with a son named Brooks.  Just FYI- they frequently have to remind people his name is Brooks with an S not Brook as many people call him that.
  • klirwin82 said:
    I like Beau Robert, not bad. Much better than Colt or Brooks.

This. If I had to choose between those BUT I really don't like they way Beau is spelled. I don't know, guess it's better than Bo?
  • @Bigboobsmcgee what's the other way to spell Beau? I'm thought the way @js8812 has it spelled is the traditional French way.
  • @Bigboobsmcgee what's the other way to spell Beau? I'm thought the way @js8812 has it spelled is the traditional French way.
    I know the spelling is common, I just personally don't like it. I think of someone's beau, like boyfriend and it just seems cheesy to me. With that being said, I have a close friend named Beau and it works for him.
  • I think Beau is a great suggestion. Also, Troy or Levi are similar in masculinity and country style.
    BabyGaga
  • Not a fan 
  • How about Blake?
  • It sounds like cult so that's weird.
  • I think 3 ninjas, and then the backwoods "cool" name association kicks in.
    One of my favorite's. Instant 90's classic :) 

I actually like the name Colt. I had Colton nn Colt on my boys list at one point. It's different but not a lot of people will like it. If you like it then go for it. I like the name. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • TBH, I really dislike this name. 
  • Since you've taken Colt off the list (which I think is good, I don't like it. Like PP said - horse, gun, beer), and your hubs likes 'tough guy' names... You could draw on historical gunfighters like Wyatt (Earp), William (Billy the kid, Wild Bill Hickock), Roland (the gunslinger from the Dark Tower series). Or gangsters like Benjamin (Bugsy Seigel). 

Maybe you could look back at your or your DH's ancestry and find a badass somewhere. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What about Cole as an alternative? It's my brother's name, I love it!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• There are way better suggestions in this thread. And thank you for not asking for opinions and then losing your shit when they aren't positive, gold star! Love Wyatt, Blake and Levi from pp.
  • I don't dislike Colt. Hubby and I also like strong, maybe considered "countryish" names. 

How about:
    Brock
    Blake
    Lane
    Ty
    Luke
    Blaine
    Lance
    Steele
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, everyone!  Yeah, I'm not offended by any comments on people not liking names. I wouldn't have asked if I was sensitive about it. 

@actwag thanks for the suggestions!  I really like Ty or Tyler, but it's a no-go because two of our close friends have that name. We also happened to add Luke and Brock on the list this weekend. I really like Steele, too. I'll have to run that by my H. 

Max
    Brooks
    Brock
    Robert
    Jay
    Luke 

And I love the 3 Ninjas reference. I loved that movie as a kid! At least I'm not trying to name him Tum Tum. ;)
  • js8812 said:
    Thanks, everyone!  Yeah, I'm not offended by any comments on people not liking names. I wouldn't have asked if I was sensitive about it. 

@actwag thanks for the suggestions!  I really like Ty or Tyler, but it's a no-go because two of our close friends have that name. We also happened to add Luke and Brock on the list this weekend. I really like Steele, too. I'll have to run that by my H. 

Max
    Brooks
    Brock
    Robert
    Jay
    Luke 

And I love the 3 Ninjas reference. I loved that movie as a kid! At least I'm not trying to name him Tum Tum. ;)
    From your list I definitely like Robert. I also like Max, Jay, and Luke, but they are all NNs to me. Max and Luke can  stand on their own but I just prefer Maxwell and Lucas. LOVE Lucas. Def not a fan of Steele.