Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Cuddling vs. Sids

So im a first time mom, paranoid about doing things right. My daughter wants to sleep with me every nap but 1) i have some chores to do and 2) i heard cuddling with newborns can cause sids. I feel like im emotionally rejecting her and am always concerned with her temperature. Sometimes i accidentally sleep with her after some night time breast feeding. 

Re: Cuddling vs. Sids

• Holding your baby while you are awake will not cause SIDS.  There is risk of injury or suffocation if you fall asleep while holding baby in a chair or on a couch because baby could fall or get wedged into cushions.  Have you tried babywearing?  I found that LO liked to sleep while wrapped against my chest using a boba wrap, and it allowed me to get up and move and have hands free to get things done.  

Some peoppe cosleep, it's not something I'm comfortable with due to how heavy of a sleeper my husband is, but if you research how to do it safely, it can be pretty safe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you researched SIDS? I ask because you make it sound like it's a disease or something. 

Just pay attention to keeping blankets and pillows away from her face, and make sure she's not sleeping on her stomach.

When I need to get chores done and DS wants to nap on or while touching me, I put him in the Ergo and wear him around the house. He sleeps great in it, he gets his wish of being with me, and I get my chores done.
  • mthoomommthoomom member
    edited January 2016
    I slept with both my kids for the first year of their lives. It was the easiest choice for both of us. They are teenagers now (they lived :) ) and I intend to do the same with my little one who will arrive in 8 weeks. Just make sure there are no stray pillows or bedding, and that they are not overdressed. Also, if you drink alcohol don't sleep with your baby if you are buzzed or intoxicated. If you have a very soft mattress topper, remove it. Prematurity and smokers in the house increase risk for SIDS, so evaluate your own circumstances. Breastfeeding through the night, or giving a pacifier, can reduce the likelihood of SIDS. SIDS can happen even if you do everything perfectly, FYI. 
  • There's a difference between sids and a baby accidentally suffocating from excess bedding/being pressed up against a person or other soft object. I'd suggest doing research on this topic so you can make an informed decision that works for your circumstances. 
  • queenwog said:
    Have you researched SIDS? I ask because you make it sound like it's a disease or something. 

Just pay attention to keeping blankets and pillows away from her face, and make sure she's not sleeping on her stomach.

When I need to get chores done and DS wants to nap on or while touching me, I put him in the Ergo and wear him around the house. He sleeps great in it, he gets his wish of being with me, and I get my chores done.

This.
  • eightynineeightynine member
    edited February 2016
    SIDS and suffocation due to unsafe sleep are different things. SIDS is just that- sudden infant death with no explanation- and is very rare. What used to be thought of as SIDS we now know was actually just death from unsafe sleeping situations. Which happens still, often.

I teach safe sleep so I could never recommend baby sleep with you or on her stomach, or with a bunch of blankets in the crib, etc. Baby is safest alone in her crib, on her back, with nothing in the crib.

Of course, many infants in unsafe sleeping conditions will survive. But do you want to take that chance?  Also, babies are at highest risk for suffocation between 2-4 months old.