Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Jaundice- doctors are driving me nuts

So my baby is 3 days old. We left the hospital when he was a little over 24 hours. His bilirubin level was at a 12.8, and the pediatrician in the hospital only agreed to discharge if we saw baby's doctor the next day. So we went, and she sent us over to get lab work. Called us back and said it was at a 12.1 and she wanted to see him the next day (today). Well she wasn't able to come in, so we saw another doctor, who said "Well since I didn't see him yesterday it's hard to tell you if it's better." Ok thank you. Anyways. Sent us back to the hospital for labs. Turns out my son clots fast and they didn't want to prick his foot again. They tried drawing from a nonexistent vein on each arm and had no success (obviously). They said the wanted to send us down to peds since they're more experienced with drawing blood from infants. Waited forever just to be told that they weren't accepting outpatients. So they called in "their best" to get the foot prick done again. Now we're back to waiting.

I made the mistake of asking what the worst thing that can happen from jaundice and wasn't soothed with the point blank "brain damage" answer. And then they tell me they're worried because he had such a high level at a day old, and jaundice doesn't kick into full gear until day 5.

I didn't think it was that bad just looking at him but all these doctors are stressing me out. But if it was that worrisome then why not admit us, get him under the lights, and it could be less of a process.

FTM here - if anyone has a similar experience or knowledge and wants to share?

Re: Jaundice- doctors are driving me nuts

• Options
    I've been there!

My son was kept an additional night on bili lights on our discharge date due to a high bili count. He was discharged the next morning at a "high, but acceptable" bili count. The next day I took him for additional bloodwork under the advisement of his pediatrician - his count was dangerous high again. I had him admitted to a different local hospital because of our birthing hospitals lack of due diligence. One more night and under some serious bili lights he was fine.

It sounds like you need this offto do a blood test immediately or take your son somewhere that will.
  • Options
    *office to
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If possible, strip him down to the diaper and sit him in the sunlight.
  • Options
    mhwood said:

If possible, strip him down to the diaper and sit him in the sunlight.

Indirect sunlight, next to a window not outside at the beach ok. And they don't really start treatment until bilirubin levels are like 17. Are you BFing or FF? It can take longer for levels to go down with breastmilk so if you're BFing be sure to nurse atleast every 2 hours, the bilirubin leaves through the gi tract, you will see orange poops. If FF I don't know if the poop will still be orange. And brain damage is with levels over 20.
  • Options

OP I'd take him somewhere right away to get the answers you need. My first child had jaundice pretty bad and had to have daily nurse visits in our home as well as a light bed he had to stay on for 23 hours. I wasn't producing enough BM to flush out his system so it was rough. We started formula almost right away.

Good luck!

• Options
    @NurseRieger I'm breastfeeding. He eats a lot, but his poops aren't orange :/
  • Options
    taysuntaysun member
    edited January 2016
    Bilirubin level has to be 18 for the lights. My DD had jaundice at around 15 at 5 days old. She also clotted fast and we were given newborn heel warmers to use on her ten minutes prior to the heel prick. It still took a while each time. 
    We decided to go ahead and formula supplement until she was no longer jaundiced. We were able to stop supplementing around 2.5 weeks. 
    ETA she was EXTREMELY lethargic so I had to wake her every 2 hours to feed her. Often she slept through feeds the first few days. 
  • Options
    taysun said:
    Bilirubin level has to be 18 for the lights. My DD had jaundice at around 15 at 5 days old. She also clotted fast and we were given newborn heel warmers to use on her ten minutes prior to the heel prick. It still took a while each time. 
    We decided to go ahead and formula supplement until she was no longer jaundiced. We were able to stop supplementing around 2.5 weeks. 
    ETA she was EXTREMELY lethargic so I had to wake her every 2 hours to feed her. Often she slept through feeds the first few days. 
    YES! It was incredibly hard to wake my son for feeds but it had to be done.
  • Options
    At 3 days it's probably greenish from the last of the meconium. My son had breastfeeding jaundice because he had a tough start with it. His bili level only got as high as 11 at 6 days old then went down a couple days later and that was when he really got the hang of nursing and wouldn't get off my boobs. 
  • Options
    My DD is 6 days old and had to do 12 hours under the bili lamp for a serum pull of 9.2. When she was 24 hours old it was a 7, then when she was retested she was a 9.2.  After the bili lights her level went unchanged and I almost had a nervous breakdown because I didn't want to watch her go through that again. They tested 4 hours after that and it finally trended down. We were discharged and followed up with her pediatrician today. She was shocked we had to do the lights at only a 9.2. Better safe than sorry. Hang in there OP. I hope you get the answers from them you need. It can be very frustrating and disheartening.