December 2015 Moms
Options

Traveling with baby

A week from tomorrow I am flying to my home town with my son who is two and DD who is 8 weeks. I have flown with just my son before, but never with two kiddos. My DH can't come because of work, so it is just me. We have one layover in chicago. Has anyone done this?  Any suggestions for making the trip go smoothly?  I am starting to get nervous. 

Re: Traveling with baby

• Options
    You are so brave, no experience but good luck!! 
  • Options
    No experience and I only have my newborn, but we'll be travelling at 8 weeks and my plan is to have my wrap on the whole time so I can put him in and out when I need to be hands free/calm him down. We'll have the stroller too, but that requires hands. I have a boba jersey wrap but by then I might use the boba carrier instead.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tips for traveling with a baby: https://www.parents.com/fun/vacation/planning/how-to-fly-with-baby/

I have a friend who recently traveled with a 4 year old and a 8 month old. She made little baggies with ear plugs, candy, and notes explaining the situation for the people in her row, those in front, behind, and the three rows on the other side. It seemed to go smoothly.

• Options
    KRH6829KRH6829 member
    edited January 2016
    No experience and I only have my newborn, but we'll be travelling at 8 weeks and my plan is to have my wrap on the whole time so I can put him in and out when I need to be hands free/calm him down. We'll have the stroller too, but that requires hands. I have a boba jersey wrap but by then I might use the boba carrier instead.
    I'm bringing my double stroller and then plan on wearing DD in the baby bjorn while we are on the plane. When DS was a baby, I wore him on the plane and it worked out very well. 
  • Options
    I have never flown with my kids but containment of the two year old seems important. I would think the stroller is a good call. Good luck! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We flew with my then 1 month old.  He did wonderful and slept the whole time except the 20 minutes before the last flight.  We had our baby carrier and checked the car seat at the gate. Carrier was a blessing, but we were told that he could not be attached to me during take off or landing. The car seat let us put him down while waiting for our plane. Not sure how traveling with two by yourself will be,  but good luck.  Hope all goes well.  
  • Options
    tmmonfre said:
    We flew with my then 1 month old.  He did wonderful and slept the whole time except the 20 minutes before the last flight.  We had our baby carrier and checked the car seat at the gate. Carrier was a blessing, but we were told that he could not be attached to me during take off or landing. The car seat let us put him down while waiting for our plane. Not sure how traveling with two by yourself will be,  but good luck.  Hope all goes well.  . 
    Did you have to buy a seat to put car seat in?
  • Options
    I travel quite a bit for work and have witnessed a few situations. One time there was a woman with a baby going through the security screening with her baby in the stroller. She was told the stroller needed to be collapsed and put through the X-ray belt. She struggled to collapse it one-handed while holding the baby but was unable to. The TSA agent offered no help (not sure if they're allowed). I saw her for a split second consider putting her baby down on the belt! I was going to offer holding the baby as I had never worked a stroller before but another mom came and collapsed the stroller for her. A situation to be prepared for with a baby carrier. Also, on a couple of flights including a 5.5 hour LA to NY red eye, babies crying nonstop for the duration of the flight. During those flights people made rude comments and one time the father even stood up and confronted the complainer (a man sitting in front of me), a fight almost broke out mid air. Moms have apologized and explained that their babies are not usually like this, etc. So I would be prepared for this just in case it happens to you (hopefully not though). PP's baggie idea is great. Just know that it won't last forever and although people might be irritated, you're not causing anyone any harm so they'll just have to deal. 
  • Options
    tmmonfre said:
    We flew with my then 1 month old.  He did wonderful and slept the whole time except the 20 minutes before the last flight.  We had our baby carrier and checked the car seat at the gate. Carrier was a blessing, but we were told that he could not be attached to me during take off or landing. The car seat let us put him down while waiting for our plane. Not sure how traveling with two by yourself will be,  but good luck.  Hope all goes well.  . 
    Did you have to buy a seat to put car seat in?
    No, because he flew in our lap. The car seat went under the plane when we boarded.
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited February 2016
    No experience but during my pregnancy i had to fly a lot for work so I met a lot of children on aircrafts. Most of them were fairly intolerable for at least an hour at any point during a flight. Except this one pack of kids I met on a flight to white plains. They got on the plane, four of them and one poor father. The kids ranged in age from babies to a girl of about 4. They were all off the hook when they boarded. Screaming, crying, laughing, kicking.. Psychotic little apes, the lot. 

Then, as if by magic, about 15 minutes after boarding the plane, they all dropped off at once. I was so amazed, I asked the dad what his secret was, explaining that i'd need a trick like that in a few short months. 

He pulled out a bottle of gravol and just winked at me. 

It sounds awful except when you consider the fact that you're not flying every day. These are special circumstances. Kids don't really enjoy flights until they get to be about six years old. And the pain from pressure changes (not all kids get it but most do. I did. It was bloody awful) is something a kid is better off missing out on anyway. He explained that it's kinder to everybody, the kids included, to just drug them. 

He recommended speaking with a pediatrician to find a theraputic dose that is safe.