December 2015 Moms
Options

Cradle Cap

Anyone's LO have cradle cap? Pretty sure my little guy does, but I don't have a pediatrician appt til Feb. 15th and since cradle cap is no big deal, I don't feel the need to go in before that.

Just curious for those of you whose LO's have had this, or have it currently, are you deciding to treat it somehow (special shampoo, oils, etc) or are you letting it sort itself out on its own? I've read you can do either way and it's not harmful for LO. My little guy doesn't have it too bad and it doesn't bother him so I'm considering just washing his head more often with regular baby shampoo.
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: Cradle Cap

• Options
    Yes. My little guy has it all over. A little even on his forehead. I've been putting baby oil on it every few days and brushing it with a cradle cap brush I got at buy buy baby(honestly, you could probably use an old toothbrush). I also pick at it while he nurses if I'm bored. 
  • Options
    Yeah both my LOs had it and with my last I was at a friends house and she saw it and said it hurts them, which I hadn't heard before so I combed it out with oil (reg) and it came out but it also made him lose some hair. I wouldn't do it again though bc it really is just harmless. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My pediatrician said to use head and shoulders clinical strength shampoo 3 x a week. It's been dramatically clearing it up after bath nights there are little flakes all over LOs sheets the next morning. I also brush LOs head after each bath. It's been about 2 weeks and it's almost all gone 
  • Options
    Yes! I was going to start a thread earlier but became distracted.  My son has it and its very mild however visible. My pediatrician said its very common and harmless. Just to put oil (for the life of me I can't remember what kind) during his bath and if it didn't start going away to put a tiny bit of dandruff shampoo twice a week. I go back on the 8th so I'll verify then. 
  • Options
    My lo has it and so did my ds when he was a newborn. Leo has it on his eye brows and his head not on his forehead though. I use a soft infant brush to get it off and then every night I apply some baby oil. I found that if I just leave it alone it gets really thick and gross. 

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Options
    Both my kids have had it and it isn't too hard to treat just better to get ahead of. I work baby oil over the spots at the start of the bath and wash their hair last with the baby shampoo we'd normally used and lightly scrumb. DS's hair was thin enough I used a wash cloth on him but with DD I have to use a scalp brush. Then giving them baths often enough. 2-3 days seems to work well.

I had gone over all this with the doctor when DS had it. The oil helps break it up then washing helps remove the flakes. DS 's was more stubborn but DD's is nearly gone after two weeks of this.
  • Options
    My little guy has it also. Do you guys think it's better to use baby oil or something like coconut oil?
  • Options
    I'm using coconut oil. I apply it about 10 minutes before her bath and then gently use a wash cloth to exfoliate her head and forehead. I've done it twice and it's nearly gone.
  • Options
    I use coconut oil on Henry. He gets super dry skin on his face after a bath and I dab a couple drops on rub it in. Works pretty well and quick. 
  • Options
    Eli had it briefly. I put olive oil in his scalp and let it sit for 15 minutes before working the bits out with a soft brush. Then I washed his hair and used a comb to tease it out of the strands.  I did it for two days straight and it went away.  
  • Options
    This may be a stupid question.. Refined or unrefined coconut oil? I've never bought it before so I don't know the difference.
  • Options
    My mom and grandparents swear my olive oil for it. B has been lucky so far by not having it.. But if he did I think that's what I would try
  • Options
    My first son had it and I tried everything, including baby oil and head and shoulders, and it didn't go away until I used the cradle cap shampoo that Mustela makes and it was gone in like two days. I wish I had discovered this product 9 months earlier. 
    This baby is getting it too and I plan on going right to Mustela. 
  • Options
    What brand of count oil do you guys use? The kind I used the other day worked great on the cradle cap but my DD's head had a weird smell to it for the next two days.
  • Options
    Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited January 2016
    I use Puritan's Pride, bought on Amazon for $7. It doesn't leave a noticeable strong scent. 
  • Options
    my SIL swears by Coco&Co, but I'm way too cheap to handle paying $18 for a tub of coconut oil. 
  • Options
    Weird, I was told to just brush it out when my DD had it, this was 10 years ago. But I didn't know you should treat it with oil. Hers all just brushed right off in on brushing. 
  • Options
    All of my siblings and myself had cradle cap, My mom used a soft brush a few times a day and it helped too. I believe because brushing helps stimulate the oil production of the scalp. 
  • Options
    I don't even know what brand coconut oil I used, but it was extra virgin organic stuff I bought on amazon for a really responsible price. However my three year old hates the smell and thinks the baby's head smells like throw up. Haha! 
  • Options
    alysa03 said:
    My mom and grandparents swear my olive oil for it. B has been lucky so far by not having it.. But if he did I think that's what I would try
    Olive oil is great for it! It's what I used and it cleared really quick
  • Options
    The hospital gave us a cradle cap brush, DD had it for a few days and just brushing her hair worked.
  • Options
    I didn't use oil for my LO's cradle cap, she had it on her head, REALLY bad on her eyebrows and in between. I put moisturizer (unscented, ect.) on it, that would make it like "mushy?" then it would come off very easily with the soft baby brush. I keep putting moisturizer on after baths and every morning to prevent it from coming back. So far so good. So if you do not like the smells some of the coconut oil is giving you you can try this :smile: 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yea. Coconut oil did the trick but I had to get warm towel because it made my LO hair oily. He doesn't have much hair but the little alfalfa string on the top stuck to his head...lol
  • Options
    MomofEv+1 said:
    I don't even know what brand coconut oil I used, but it was extra virgin organic stuff I bought on amazon for a really responsible price. However my three year old hates the smell and thinks the baby's head smells like throw up. Haha! 
    Yes! This was me the other day. The kind I used totally made her head smell like she puked. It was so gross. 
  • Options
    I used baby oil (Burts Bees) when DD had it. DS is just starting to get it now at six weeks and we haven't done anything with it. With DD, I used baby oil or moisturizer, anything that makes it mushy, and then you can brush it or pick it off. Then I'd wash her hair with her baby shampoo over the sink if I didn't want to give her a full bath. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers