November 2015 Moms
Options

Regressions shots related?

rachswirachswi member
edited January 2016 in November 2015 Moms
Hey ladies... So Zeke got his first round of immunizations on Tuesday. Since then, his eating and sleeping abilities seem to be regressing something awful. 

Eating: he refuses to take a bottle. Not from me or DH. I stayed in our bedroom while DH gave him the bottle in our living room (opposite ends of the house) and Zeke still wouldn't take it. Tried giving it to him in all different positions... Still no. He's even seeming to struggle with breastfeeding - he doesn't seem to be eating till full (keeps pulling off but then when I put my boob away he starts crying)... I've tried with and without a nipple shield with the same results. It almost seems like he's too tired to finish eating but then he's too hungry to go to sleep. And since he won't take a bottle I can't make it easier for him to get his fill. Also since I'm BFing I have no idea if he's actually getting enough or not. 

Then sleeping: he won't sleep. Not on a person, not in his swing, not in his crib. He will fall asleep but wakes up screaming in 20 minutes or less. Last night he woke up from his "long sleep" after 45 minutes rather than his usual 5 hours. And again, it seems like he may be hungry but he won't eat or is too tired to eat. 

And of of course since it's Saturday night, I can't see the pedi till Monday. Any tips on any part would be greatly appreciated. DH and I don't know what to do. 

ETA Zeke is 11 weeks 

Re: Regressions shots related?

• Options
    I would guess it's coincidence and I'd probably just ride it out (ask the ped of you're really concerned). But that's just me. If baby was unresponsive, lethargic, or something like that is when I'd be worried. 
  • Options
    I can't really help other than to ask "Have you tried..." questions.

Have you tried taking his temperature?
    Have you tried gripe water or something else in case it's tummy pain that is waking him up and making eating hard?
    Has he lost interest in anything else?
    Does he get plenty of light during the day for melatonin regulation?

Really, I think this is going to have to be a question only the pedi can answer. Feel better, little guy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Skin to skin contact? Sometimes when baby boy is really fussy, I'll take him to the nursery and cuddle him skin to skin and he will start nursing and drift off to sleep. I would also still talk to ped. Good luck! 
  • Options
    JeenyusJeenyus member
    edited January 2016
    My daughter was extremely fussy for three days following her immunizations, and would randomly shriek herself awake from sleep or even during play.  I ended up stripping down and doing skin to skin pretty much all day, and babywearing when we had to be out.

When hubby was home from work, he supervised and I filled the bath with lukewarm water.  Baby and I both stripped down, and I laid her on my chest/stomach.  I was too nervous to do it without my husband nearby, but it helped a lot to relax her.  I also breastfed while in the tub, and she would eat slowly and calmly.  Otherwise she would pull on and off with lots a shrieking, and she was usually a good eater!The temperament changes did get better, it took about a full week to get back to normal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He could also just have colic. At our 2m our pedi said this is when it could start to settle in for a while.  

Wish sh you the best and I would deffinetly make a call into the pedi and see what they say,  as long as he still has 5-8 wet diapers a day he is getting enough to eat.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. After I posted this I finally got him to eat more and then he slept for 8 hours! I'm guessing that sleep has more to do with him being incredibly exhausted but I know we both needed it (granted I've spent the last 2 hours awake waiting for him to wake up lol)

I will definitely try skin to skin if he keeps struggling. Maybe I got lucky and this 8 hour stretch will be like a reset button 
  • Options
    Also remember that the tetanus shot hurts the muscles for up to a week.  He may have been reacting to that.  How is he doing today?  Did his nap reset him?
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    Sadly no. He was up 5 times last night instead of his usual 2. Then he was a terror all day today. DH had to come home and work from home because I needed a break so bad.